Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Ferrari 360 Spider

Funkychiken

• 5 weeks later...

Lots of progress, but not many photos...

Zero Paints Beige is down on the interior, the dash masked & completed the Semi gloss black

Exhaust took ages, I was trying to fill the gaps & kept breaking them, they've been sprayed in Zero gloss black ready for alcladII alu finish...

The wheels will be gloss black, they might need another couple of coats to give them depth, they don't look great in the photos...

20170820_184142.jpg

20170820_184156.jpg

20170820_184159.jpg

20170905_192225.jpg

20170905_192230.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is coming along great as well!!

Thanks Dann!

Made a bit more progress, I want to get the carpet done in the interior before moving onto the body. I know most people do the body first - probably 'cause it's the easiest thing to mess up... and also takes the longest to do - letting it gas out.

Used alclad II dark aluminium for the exhaust - wanted to get a colour contrast in the engine bay.

Started detailing the dash, it's coming along slowly & the break discs are almost finished...

20170914_163500.jpg

20170914_164216.jpg

20170916_173356.jpg

20170916_173413.jpg

20170917_115242.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress! But I'm still not having much luck with the black wash, these seats will have to be resprayed.

I've never had a problem with Tamiya decals before, but these ones fall apart with just a nudge with a brush. Both the main dials fell apart & it was a struggle to get them into the dash...

Next step is to flock the interior or start on the body

20171006_165915.jpg

20170930_155219.jpg

20171005_175331.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

What are you using for a wash?,I've never seen a wash do that.

Hi Curtis!

I used thinned down Tamiya acrylic  over Alclad II satin clear coat.

What I did then, is wiped off as much as I could - using lacquer thinner, and re-sprayed a few light coats of beige/cream, and I'm not going to try to re-wash.

• 3 weeks later...

Not much progress, and not doing so well with the flocking either.

I'm using Hiroboy beige & a generic PVA / White glue from HobbyCraft, watered down about 40% water, and it still ends up patchy. And me being an idiot I tried to glue the PE net to the bulk head  with CA, which just stained the flocking.... As a test (after research) I am going to try some Enamel gloss paint - see if that is better than PVA... If not, I'll change my brand of PVA glue and see how it goes.

but on the plus side, I added the PE discs to the brakes, they are brass, so were primed with Tamiya X11, they look much better than my feeble attempt to add a dark wash to the indents moulded into the plastic. The Main bit left now is the body shell. I've wanted to finish the BMW M5 first before I move onto it. It's getting a bit cold for spraying too...

20171121_174551.jpg

20171114_212132.jpg

20171121_174543.jpg

Great build, I also have this one on hold at the moment.  Sprayed the body in Yellow and went with the black gloss wheels.  Started on the black interior and with building up the engine.  I need to learn how to detail the engine, that one looks great.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:15 PM, skid896 said:

Great build, I also have this one on hold at the moment.  Sprayed the body in Yellow and went with the black gloss wheels.  Started on the black interior and with building up the engine.  I need to learn how to detail the engine, that one looks great.

Thanks Skid, engine & chassis are my favourite parts, I really struggle with a good finish on the body!

Update - now that I've gotten over leaving the flocking as it is (was tempted to try & redo), I've started to build it up.

Will start on the body soon.

20171210_150213.jpg

Edited by Funkychiken

• 1 month later...

Updates over Christmas, assembly has got to the stage where I really need to make a start on the body shell...!

No real issues with the build so far - well - only the decals falling apart.

This Tamiya Kit is well engineered and goes together well. But don't get me worng, it's still a challenge for a novice like me...

20171230_121919.jpg

20171231_162335.jpg

20180102_143724.jpg

28 minutes ago, ismaelg said:

Nice!  I built the coupe over a decade ago and to this date it is still one of the most enjoyable kits I've ever done.

I’m currently working on the Modena version. And I agree. Probably the most well engineered intermediate kit ever made for box stock purposes.

1. Tamiya 360

2. Tamiya Supra(93)

3. Aoshima Countach

On 1/20/2018 at 9:27 PM, ismaelg said:

Nice!  I built the coupe over a decade ago and to this date it is still one of the most enjoyable kits I've ever done.

I think shortly after this came out, a different model car magazine voted it one of the best kits ever produced. I remember being so excited to use a Hobby Lobby coupon to get 40% off that I went back the next day an bought another one. That was in 2001. Both are still in the stashpile.

Everyone raves about the quality of this kit. 

• 7 months later...

Now that I've got my Skyline finished, I've been trying to get the body completed on this build.

It has had 3 coats of Zero primer, 3 coats of tamiya white primer & now 3 to 4 coats of Zero Gloss White.

Obviously, it's zero, it doesn't come out gloss white, so I have some Zero 2K to put over the top.

I'm not going to lie, this is the scary part for me! I have completed a spoon test & it came out OK, but spoon tests can fool you, it's much easier to spray a spoon than a body....

I've spent time cleaning my work area as the Zero base coat has always come out with dust - which has required a lot of touching up / sanding and resprays. so within a week I intend on getting the gloss coat complete! wish me luck...!

20180909_184601.jpg

20180909_184623.jpg

20180909_184646.jpg