Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gravity Paint Order

Hey Gang,

After seeing Donn Yost's youtube video last month expounding the virtues of all the Gravity Paints that he had received, I went on the website there and ordered a bunch of paints and clear coat...18 items in all....well over $125.00 worth plus shipping....

I placed my order (and Paypal took my payment) back on Feb. 9th....I've yet to receive anything almost 5 weeks later....  I've contacted Gravity Paints by both e mail and directly on the phone, and I was assured that my order was processed, but still I wait...

Has anyone else had similar results with this company, or is this just an isolated incident with my order?

Thanks,

Franz in NJ

I had the same problem when they had there Black Friday sale. I received the paint two months later after a bunch of emails. I was told it was processed as well. I feel your pain on this problem. I really don't order from them that much anymore.  

To update the "story" about my order......Long story made short, this could be the best paint in the world, but the service/communication/responsibility of this organization is sorely lacking in my humble opinion....In this day and age of "Brick and Mortar" shops not being able to compete with online suppliers, the Hobby Shops have nothing to worry about with businesses like this....

After 2 full weeks from placing my order (and Paypal taking full payment), I then inquired about my order...2 days later I got a message that it had been sent "yesterday"....No tracking info, nothing other than their word....Another week goes by, then I call and leave a message....I then get a call back that "they will have to go to the Post Office to see where my order is", but I'm assured that it will be there in "a few days"....  I was also offered my shipping charge to be refunded to me, which still hasn't happened as well...

The middle of week 5 from my order, I get a random voicemail message from somebody at Gravity Paints explaining that my order was accidentally sent to another customer in Virginia, and that that person was "nice enough to send it to me"...The person from Gravity Paint also noted that "this was not our fault".....Huh?  Excuse Me?.....Your organization sent my order, with my personal address info. on the receipt, in a box to someone else.....How is that not your fault?  Then you send another person a new label, so that they can re-seal the package, after they have checked through it, to me.....

Really shoddy business practice, and like I said before, it could be the greatest paint in the free speaking world, but it has taken me just under 6 weeks from order/payment to receive a second-hand package with my supplies....

Needless to say, no refund for shipping (that was promised) has happened, and at this point, I really feel like sending the order back to them postage due, just for the inconvenience/lack of truth about my order...

Oh well, can't recommend them to anyone, they should really just sell to suppliers and be done with it....

Franz in NJ

Wow! Sure glad I read this. I just bought my first airbrush and wanted to use a paint I didn't have to thin and Gravity was recommended.

I think I'll buy mine from Teds. It's just that they don't have the color I want.

Thanks for looking out guys.

That customer in Virginia must get a bunch of paint. That was what they told me. 

Actually, the person left the original post office packing label under the new one that they supposedly sent him, the package was re-taped with Duct tape....Not sure if they were pulling my leg about shipping it there, or maybe that person also has product that was needed to fullfill the order.....Either way, it smacks of unprofessional methods to do business, and what gets me the most is "it wasn't their fault"....

I met the Gravity paint guy a couple of years ago at a model contest.  I'm pretty sure the "they" you refer to is a husband/wife team.  She's very pretty.

Be that as it may, they would probably be better off just supplying Wholesalers to sell/deliver their product....I'm sure his wife was the one that left the second voicemail message informing me that it wasn't their fault....

Not sure about Gravity Paint but some of the paint companies mix the paint to order so they keep very little stock. Some do it in house and others farm it out to other companies. I believe that is why most companies take several weeks to get the product delivered. I use MCW paint and have never received any correspondence what so ever. I mail them a check and several weeks later they mail me paint and another blank order form. I usually buy paint for 3 or 4 projects at once.

I do not need to be informed of every step my order is going through. I do expect a response if for some reason I call or email.

I started buying my spray paint, lacquer thinned and ready for spraying, from Dave at Model Car World about 12 years ago.  Probably about 200 1 0z. bottles.  Mail in the order and got my paint in 9-14 days......never a problem.  I have ordered 3 times from the new owner and have had the same results.  The paint lays down beautifully for someone like me, not the most talented painter, and polishes up great.  They have hundreds of automotive colors and will even mix up special order colors.

Glad I saw this. I was considering getting a bottle.

I buy from Scalefinishes because I have received top notch customer service and very reasonable delivery times.  I ordered Ford glacier blue paint once.  When I got it, the color wasn't what I expected, and totally my fault.  I got what I ordered.  I asked what the correct color would be for what I was looking for, and not only did he tell me, but he sent me a bottle at no charge.

Again...I ordered the wrong color. Totally my fault and he still sent me the right color (the one I should have ordered) at no charge.

He earned my business for life with that.  

Its a darn shame cause Gravity Colors is the best paint to work with. Zero Paints has much better customer service and a wider variety of paints. its just a bit more difficult to work with. alot of sanding. but its a viable option to ordering special paints .

Edited by buxxx69
replaced word

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with Gravity. I've been using them for awhile now and never had a serious issue like yours. I had one order go missing, but that was a USPS screw up, it made it to Miami then the tracking just stopped. Mate replaced it right away. 

Not to make excuses for him, but I do know that he gets the paint in from Europe in 1qt. cans and then bottles them, labels them then shrink wraps them for distribution. He could of been waiting for supplies from Europe, but if that is the case he should of told you.

My deliveries usually get here in 8-12 days from Florida to Canada. I dont blame you for being angry. I really hope this is not a sign of things to come. I've chatted with Mate on FB numerous times and he's a really good guy, but that aside, customer service is paramount and communicating with your customers about issues should be a no brainer. I really hope this is a one off glitch.

Good luck on any future purchases.

David

I placed an order on 3/13 that supposedly shipped 3/28 that still says its in pre-shipment.  Mate has responded to one of my three emails saying that he shipped it and the post office must have misplaced it and that he was going to check.  That was Wednesday 4/12 and I have still not received word on its staus.