Model Cars Magazine Forum

Photos of masters of upcoming resin kits 66 Ford Country Sedan wagon

Thanks for your comments. Pretty happy with the kit. the interior tub fits right up inside the body flush with the window openings with no sanding/ filing/grinding. The only trimming to be done is on the chassis, the upper rear wheelhouses need removal and a quick trim on the topside of the fuel tank for the dual facing rear seat floor to clear. Everything else falls right into place. I didn't have to mess with the stance/ wheelbase at all. The taillights came out a little blocky, I need to taper the top and bottom to be more accurate before production. Look for a Squire as well. Next up: 68 Squire, 66 Colony Park, 57 Windsor 2 dr. ht. 57 New Yorker wagon. The Chryslers will build off the AMT 57 300 and have opening hoods.

• 1 year later...

Well, I thought I'd be more excited about the availability of this '66 Country Sedan kit on eBay; instead I'm left with an even stronger yearning for the old Modelhaus days when I could get one of Paul's excellent creations (though you may want to re-check the vent windows; they should be more triangular shaped like the four door sedan's)  through Don and Carol at only $100 - $110 without worrying about a bidding process to boot!  Not only that, but turning to someone else for the wheel covers? (and I couldn't even find them on their website)  While I'm generally impressed with this kit as released, I am disheartened over the process to own one.  I guess it wasn't meant to be offered as Modelhaus would sell a kit.  Oh, well.......:( 

28 minutes ago, gbt216 said:

Well, I thought I'd be more excited about the availability of this '66 Country Sedan kit on eBay; instead I'm left with an even stronger yearning for the old Modelhaus days when I could get one of Paul's excellent creations (though you may want to re-check the vent windows; they should be more triangular shaped like the four door sedan's)  through Don and Carol at only $100 - $110 without worrying about a bidding process to boot!  Not only that, but turning to someone else for the wheel covers? (and I couldn't even find them on their website)  While I'm generally impressed with this kit as released, I am disheartened over the process to own one.  I guess it wasn't meant to be offered as Modelhaus would sell a kit.  Oh, well.......:( 

Yes, I'd rather buy resin directly from a caster at a fixed price than fool around with eBay and bidding wars with randos.  

Edited by Rob Hall

Well as they say, you can't please everybody.

First, due to  physical limitations, I choose to use my limited time I can work developing new masters and have the masters molded and cast by an outside source. I'm not going to say what my unit cost is per kit but it's more than you may think. Using an outside source for casting I have to be careful not to over run his capabilities. If I sold mail order and get slammed with 100 orders it might take a year to fill them then every one's mad.

Prices will fall as demand catches up.. I started the auction for 100.00. Soon that's what they will be selling for. I do need the extra $ I'm getting on the first few sales to help offset the mold making cost.

As far as the wheel cover goes, I have not built one with the kit supplied wheel covers yet, otherwise I would have used that photo. I cannot copy someone elses wheel cover and put it in my kit.

So a great big I'm sorry to everyone I have disappointed.

Edited by Paul Hettick

Paul, in your defense I can certainly understand doing it this way. When you're a one man show, you have to do what's in your best interests and what's physically possible. I look at your recent releases of the '59 Chevy wagon and '59 Imperial sedan. While they were getting very good prices on eBay at the beginning, there have been times I've seen them either go unsold, or there was just one bidder that got it at the end. Another example is the caster that was making a '71 Olds Delta 88. Very much wanted in the beginning, but later on was collecting dust on eBay. I eventually got one for the original asking price which I believe at the time was $90.

I definitely want to get your '77-'79 T-Bird when it's available, but I can wait for six months or so when the initial frenzy dies down. God only knows I've got more than enough to build now!

This also reinforces why certain kits will never be done by the major kit makers. While those of us out here in the lunatic fringe have been clamoring for these esoteric offerings, one need only look at that actual numbers to see that they would be committing financial suicide if they spent the big bucks on such tooling, only to see very little in return.

As that old saying goes................."Patience is a virtue". ;)

Edited by MrObsessive

Why not use a Buy-it-Now type of eBay listing?  No bidding wars that way.  Or you just want to get some extra profits?

As far as waiting for the frenzy to die down, how can we be sure that the model will still be available at that time? Molds or masters can get damaged.  And, how many (or how long) will you run the same model?  100 pieces? 1000 pieces?  3 months, 6 months, or a year?

I'm also hoping to pick one of the 77 T-birds, but now I'm not sure if I'll be in the running.  Del found a way to sell his gorgeous resin Crown Vics the "standard" way - too bad you can't do the same.

Edited by peteski

Well, for my part in it, I don't consider myself a whiner; I am encouraged by the thought (that I, admittedly, didn't think of) that the kits will go for more reasonable prices without much auction challenge once the "I've gotta have it now!" folks got their fill.  This is likely how I was able to purchase, in recent years, from Time Machine Resin for reasonable prices, eBay auction process notwithstanding (though I haven't seen any listings recently from them - another story for a different thread).  I can wait; heck it was 20 years from the time I mentioned to Don Holthaus about maybe offering a Breezeway Mercury before he actually came out with one!  Believe me, in the model car world, patience is my virtue!  As was mentioned, Del's Crown Vic is out there and I know I'm on a list (maybe two!) to be contacted when one's ready for me to purchase - no problem!  I have faith he and/or Greg will let me know when it's available to me.  No slams against Paul; I have too much respect for (and money spent on - via Modelhaus) his work to do that!  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2019 at 9:25 PM, MrObsessive said:

Paul, in your defense I can certainly understand doing it this way. When you're a one man show, you have to do what's in your best interests and what's physically possible. I look at your recent releases of the '59 Chevy wagon and '59 Imperial sedan. While they were getting very good prices on eBay at the beginning, there have been times I've seen them either go unsold, or there was just one bidder that got it at the end. Another example is the caster that was making a '71 Olds Delta 88. Very much wanted in the beginning, but later on was collecting dust on eBay. I eventually got one for the original asking price which I believe at the time was $90.

I definitely want to get your '77-'79 T-Bird when it's available, but I can wait for six months or so when the initial frenzy dies down. God only knows I've got more than enough to build now!

This also reinforces why certain kits will never be done by the major kit makers. While those of us out here in the lunatic fringe have been clamoring for these esoteric offerings, one need only look at that actual numbers to see that they would be committing financial suicide if they spent the big bucks on such tooling, only to see very little in return.

As that old saying goes................."Patience is a virtue". ;)

I too am in for the '77-'79 T-Birds ..Thanx