Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hot Rod "A" Coupe UPDATED 10/28/17

Dennis Lacy

This is based on Revell's newer '30 Coupe kit that disappeared shortly after its release last August. 

Started with the frame for the channeled version (body over the frame rather than on top of it) of the kit which is a Model A style frame. I wanted the chassis to have a  vintage / traditional look so I cut down and tweaked a Revell '48 Ford center "X" to fit (which took some figuring out!) and also transplanted an "A" arched rear cross member from Revell's '29 Pickup / '31 Sedan kits. Filed some C-notches out back for axle clearance, put some motor mount brackets up front and filled in all the (no longer needed) parts locating notches in the side rails.

DSCN3704-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Kit-bashed together a Halibrand quick-change rear axle assembly using the center section from AMT's '41 Willys, axle tubes and spring brackets from Revell's Ed Roth Tweedy Pie T, spring from Revell's '29 Pickup / '31 Sedan and axle end flanges and brake plates from the '30 Coupe.

DSCN3702-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Had to take a rectangular notch out of the rear of the floor pan for the arched rear cross member to poke through.

DSCN3697-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

DSCN3711-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Cut off the molded on torque tube that wasn't long enough and made a new one from 1/8" Evergreen tubing...

DSCN3968-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

...and finished up the rear axle with the stubby stabilizer rods also from the Tweedy Pie T.

DSCN3969-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Up front I adapted the dropped tubular axle, hairpin radius rods, steering tie rod / drag link and steering box from Revell's '32 5-Window Coupe. To the axle I adapted Revell '40 / '48 Ford brake plates and the finned Buick brake drums from the new A Coupe. You can also see that a flathead engine is fitted and that I added Grandt Line bolt detail to the oil pan and transmission mounting flanges.

DSCN3970-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The flathead engine block and Navarro heads & intake come from Revell's '48 Custom Coupe. Carburetors are from the Tweedy Pie and crankcase breather scoop is from Revell's '37 Pickup / Panel Truck. If you look close I added a dipstick from the flathead in AMT's '34 5-Window Coupe. Also shown is the Revell ('32 Sedan, '40 Coupe / Convertible) "beehive" bypass oil filter and I added a steering column stub on the firewall that the steering box shaft fits into.

DSCN3958-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

DSCN3973-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

B)

Edited by Dennis Lacy

UPDATE!

Took a break from chassis work this week and focused on some hot rod body mods. 

I want the car to look like it has a louvered aluminum roof insert panel so that meant adding louvers to the separate insert from the kit. I started with some louvered hood sides from Revell's '32 5-window, trimmed them down on every side, butted them together, cut a matching shape in the roof insert then glued the louvered piece into the hole.

DSCN4016-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The piece I installed wasn't as thick as the original roof insert so I laid in a piece made from .020" sheet. This worked out good because it acts as a backer for the hood halves that were butted together.

DSCN4017-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

To go with the roof louvers I cut out the trunk lid then trimmed down the louvered lid from the same Revell '32 5-window to fit in the hole.

DSCN4020-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Then things got stupid. I was originally going to glue the louvered trunk lid in place and didn't have the slightest intention of make it functional and detailing the trunk. I got to thinking that I had never yet tried to hinge anything on a model and talked myself into trying. I had to learn as I went but took it slow and thought out what I was doing. It ended up all working out on the first try. I made the trunk jamb out of strips of .020", made an inner trunk lid skin also out of .020", made some blocks to hang the hinges from inside the body and bent up some hinges out of paper clips.

DSCN4018-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

With the trunk now visible I had to build a cover over the hole that the frame rear cross member pokes through, I made the sides from .040" sheet and capped it with .020". I then laid down a sheet of .020" on the trunk floor to make it nice and smooth then added some raised locating tabs made from .040" sheet that fit exactly the inside shape of the kit provided gas tank and battery box to precisely locate them.

DSCN4013-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

DSCN4015-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Here's the whole shebang mocked together with a toothpick prop rod.

DSCN4011-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

DSCN4012-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

DSCN4003-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

DSCN4007-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Still plenty more to do!

Comments welcome!

B)

Edited by Dennis Lacy

• 5 weeks later...