Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hot Rod "A" Coupe UPDATED 10/28/17

Dennis Lacy

• 4 months later...

UPDATE!

Has it really been 5 months?!

Today I dug out this project and spent some quality time with it. I scratch built a V'd headlight bar out of Evergreen .042" rod and 3/32" tube which holds up a pair of AMT '36 Ford headlights. I built upper shocks mounts and shocks which was all made out of the kit parts albeit quite modified. I notched the bottom portion of the grill shell so that it sits over the frame cross member like it should. 

2v2uYnvQnxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v2uYnvsgxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

I also built the tough-looking shorty header tubes using pieces cut out of 2 pairs of Monogram Slingster dragster Chevy headers. It's absolute luck that they ended up fitting over, around and under the steering box and shaft perfectly. I love it when things just work out like this!

2v2uYn9RnxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki 

2v2uYnvFgxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v2uYnUENxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

And what would an update be without full mock up pics?

2v2uYn3jSxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v2uYnogyxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v2uYn3VyxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v2uYn9mWxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v2uYn9VqxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

Still a few things left to do but this thing is getting close to fully fabricated! One more solid afternoon might be enough to finish and start getting it paint ready.

B)

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE!

Took a break from chassis work this week and focused on some hot rod body mods. 

I want the car to look like it has a louvered aluminum roof insert panel so that meant adding louvers to the separate insert from the kit. I started with some louvered hood sides from Revell's '32 5-window, trimmed them down on every side, butted them together, cut a matching shape in the roof insert then glued the louvered piece into the hole.

DSCN4016-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The piece I installed wasn't as thick as the original roof insert so I laid in a piece made from .020" sheet. This worked out good because it acts as a backer for the hood halves that were butted together.

DSCN4017-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

To go with the roof louvers I cut out the trunk lid then trimmed down the louvered lid from the same Revell '32 5-window to fit in the hole.

DSCN4020-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Then things got stupid. I was originally going to glue the louvered trunk lid in place and didn't have the slightest intention of make it functional and detailing the trunk. I got to thinking that I had never yet tried to hinge anything on a model and talked myself into trying. I had to learn as I went but took it slow and thought out what I was doing. It ended up all working out on the first try. I made the trunk jamb out of strips of .020", made an inner trunk lid skin also out of .020", made some blocks to hang the hinges from inside the body and bent up some hinges out of paper clips.

DSCN4018-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

With the trunk now visible I had to build a cover over the hole that the frame rear cross member pokes through, I made the sides from .040" sheet and capped it with .020". I then laid down a sheet of .020" on the trunk floor to make it nice and smooth then added some raised locating tabs made from .040" sheet that fit exactly the inside shape of the kit provided gas tank and battery box to precisely locate them.

DSCN4013-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

DSCN4015-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Here's the whole shebang mocked together with a toothpick prop rod.

DSCN4011-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

DSCN4012-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

DSCN4003-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

DSCN4007-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Still plenty more to do!

Comments welcome!

B)

Louvers! Lots of Louvers!! Louvers almost everywhere!!! Me loves louvers to death!!!!  btw Isn't there a bee hive oil filter that's a bit more to scale in one of the '49 Fords/Mercs just a tad bit smaller? -KK

• 2 weeks later...

I love this car Dennis.

And since you say the Barney Navarro heads come in the Revell '48 Ford, I'll have to get one of those kits. I'm not real fond of 41-48 Ford or any other cars of the era. But since my dad worked for Barney and drove his track roadster race car in the late 40s, I SHOULD HAVE some of those. Then that engine will have to get a Tom Beatty blower drive setup to go with it, since Tom worked with dad at Barney's.

I had planned all along to make some fillers for the rear wheel wells which were going to be nothing more than flat pieces made from .040" sheet. Looking at it today it occurred to me that I could handle it another way. So I grabbed the non-channeled interior / wheel well pieces from the same '30 Coupe...

2v2uC8t6FxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

... and trimmed them to fit into the openings, at the same time eliminating the kits ugly raised arches and making them stock again. It's really hard to tell but I also added back the bead line around the arch using .040" half-round which was sanded to make it less round like original. Of course, some slots needed to be added for the axle tubes and springs.

2v2uC8tJyxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v2uC8tarxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v2uC8tsrxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

What's neat is that by doing it just right the channeled interior / wheel well panels and floor still fit with NO modification!

2v2uC8tA8xK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

After the last session where I made the tough-looking shorty header tubes I've been thinking that between those and louvered roof and deck lid that the steelie wheels weren't tough enough looking. Playing around I came up with this cool mag wheel setup that I think fits the style of the car much better. What's nice is that they were a direct bolt-on requiring no modifications. 

Front wheels: Revell '29 Pickup with Ed Roth Beatnik Bandit inner rims
Front tires: Ed Roth Beatnik Bandit
Rear wheels: Ed Roth Beatnik Bandit with Orange Crate inner rims
M&H Slicks: AMT '28 Sedan (rare one-time release from the early 60's) with the centers enlarged for the wheels to fit

I also trimmed the front spring to lower the front just a touch. The front wheels are soaking in chrome stripper now and they'll all be painted like raw magnesium in the end.

2v2uC86hgxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v2uC86LGxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

Pretty close now. Next step will be to make up a radiator and upper / lower hoses then I think I can do final clean up for primer / paint.