Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 AMT 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS "Fifty" Edition

Happy Saint Patrick's Day, friends! I stopped at Hobby Lobby after work and picked up this brand new Round 2/AMT 2017 Camaro SS "Fifty" edition. I haven't seen a review for this kit, so I decided to take some photos and let you know what I think about it! Please leave some feedback and share your thoughts on this kit. 

I've only been back into building for the last couple of years, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is the first completely "new" kit from any of the Round 2 brands. I've been looking forward to this one and I'm not even the biggest fan of Camaros.

23511475243913-vi.jpg

The body is molded in what looks like the factory correct color "Nightfall Gray Metallic", credit to RandyB. for identifying that color. The shrinkwrap sticker on the box said this kit was molded in black, so I was surprised to see the body molded in this color. You're going to need to paint it as the plastic is very swirly. 

24511475244508-vi.jpg

The body on this kit feels very flimsy and thin. You can see the actual print through the roof when held to the light and you can also so how thin the plastic is near the door handles. Very disappointed in that! There are a couple mold lines to look out for on the front clip and over the rear wheel well. 

12511475232869-vi.jpg

30511475250856-vi.jpg

Note: This is looking from the top of the car and down. 

19511475239777-vi.jpg

The area near the door handles look almost like a non-fill issue. 

29511475249288-vi.jpg

The piece count is very nice for this kit. The parts are molded in black, metallic gray, silver, clear, chrome and transparent red. 

05511475225853-vi.jpg

I'll go into a more detailed look at these trees down below.57511476297360-vi.jpg

As like the body, all of the large pieces in this kit feel brittle and flimsy at the same time. I really hope that only my kit is like this and it's not an issue across the board. That would be a real bummer. 

The frame, chassis and floor pans are all one solid piece. This may be similar to the snap version of this kit, but I'm not sure. If you look, you'll see the driveshaft is even molded in. 

11511476491481-vi.jpg

The rear seat detail will disappear under a coat or two of paint. Very poorly molded or mastered. 

06511476486323-vi.jpg

The wheels look pretty cool for this car. I wish that the bow tie was a lot more visible, instead of the blob it looks like. 

48511476768231-vi.jpg

The clear parts in this kit however, are some of the best I've ever seen! Lots of detail and thought went into these pieces. I love the tail lights and the defrost lines in the rear window. The black window trim is a great touch and gives you one less problem when detailing the kit!

57511477017212-vi.jpg

42511477002737-vi.jpg

49511477009469-vi.jpg

The tires look good and they're directional. They are not branded, however. I hope that Round 2 doesn't go the same way Revell-Monogram has gone. 

56511477136295-vi.jpg

03511477143812-vi.jpg

The last photo is of the decals. Like all of the other Round 2 releases, these are very brilliantly printed. 

00511477140377-vi.jpg

If you've stuck around through my ramblings this long, I thank you for your time. I'm not sure that I'll ever get around to building this kit. I've got so many other projects started or that I want to start and I don't see this one knocking any of those out anytime soon. 

It's a nice kit and looks very accurate, but it has flaws that shouldn't exist on a newly tooled kit that was made 3 months ago. If you have one, let me know how yours is!

Until next time!

Thanks for the review. I built the 2016 version of this kit, and was satisfied with it, I see the same mould lines on the body that you show in your review, so I am not surprised that they are still there. The color of the body is no problem to me, as I am going to paint it anyway. I will probably strip the wheels too. I have to do my research on this car. I hope that there is one at a dealership near my club meeting place when I go out tomorrow. I'll probably pick one up.

Thx.  BTW R2 did a new tool 60s  Batmobile, NASCAR car of tomorrow, and a few promo-like Camaros and Vettes.  They may have done another one or two but I can't recall.  

I wasn't aware of the Batmobile or NASCAR kits, but I have seen the showroom replicas come to think of it. 

I picked this one and the 1LE snapper up today. The kits were as expected, except that the finish on both bodies are subpar in my opinion. They were a semi gloss finish, with swirls and scratches. They will have to be painted for the best results. I was going to paint mine anyway, so that is not a problem. Both will have to be thoroughly blocked, as various mould lines are present, and the panel lines need to be deepened.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

After I picked up my kits, I stopped by my favorite Chevy Dealer, and they had both a "Fifty" and a 1LE Camaro in their inventory, which I was able to get a few photos of the cars. I was also able to see a privately owned SS "Fifty" at  car wash where I was getting gas. The owner let me photograph his car, and I got some good photos with my phone. The striping is a flat finish, while the car itself is a dark pearlescent gray, with a black and gray interior. The hood on the 1LE car is flat black, while the splitter and rear spoiler is gloss. It is quite a striking car. I am leaning towards either bright red, or silver. I have to get some technical information on the car from other sources to start the build.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

I built the pre-painted 2016 SS kit a couple weeks ago.  You'll need to tweak either the suspension or how the chassis tucks up into the body to get the stance right.  I ground the two lugs off the back of the grille indent and made sure the chassis was glued in tight as it will pop out if you don't glue it.  I was going to do the same to the back but I noticed the 1:1 has a bit of a jacked up look so I left it as is. If you want the body to remain removable you'll have to lower the suspension.

Fun kit, and the pre-paint parts were done really well on this one.  The interior is super nice.  

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/121649-amt-125-2016-camaro-pre-painted-kit/ 

9Mf4Wfrh.jpg 

Edited by Brett Barrow

I was also able to see a privately owned SS "Fifty" at  car wash where I was getting gas. The owner let me photograph is cat, and I got some good photos with my phone. 

That's great Ron, I am a cat guy myself. Could you also post pics of his car? :P

Looking forward to getting both of these...I hope AMT does the '18 ZL1 1LE eventually, it's pretty wild looking w/ the huge rear wing.

I don't see how Round 2 would miss the opportunity to make the ZL1! Wouldn't take a lot to change this kit around a bit. 

I'm wondering about the hood being molded on a separate sprue. Is this different than the '16 SS kit?

For those who have not seen it. two prior reviews

- Full detail review of the basic Round 2 AMT 2016 Camaro Full Detail Kit - http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/first-look-at-all-n/first-look-amt-full/first-look-amt-full/   (45 pictures and captions) 

- "What's different" review of the "Fifty" kit -   http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/first-look-at-all-n/first-look-amts-cam/first-look-amts-cam/  (15 images and captions) 

There is a little bit of overlap of overlap in content between Mike's review those links listed here.... but much of Mike's info posted at the start of this thread is fresh insight from another perspective. 

But for anyone considering buying the kit, recommend you look at all info three sources to get the broadest view possible.....TIM 

For those who have not seen it. two prior reviews

- Full detail review of the basic Round 2 AMT 2016 Camaro Full Detail Kit - http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/first-look-at-all-n/first-look-amt-full/first-look-amt-full/   (45 pictures and captions) 

- "What's different" review of the "Fifty" kit -   http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/first-look-at-all-n/first-look-amts-cam/first-look-amts-cam/  (15 images and captions) 

There is a little bit of overlap of overlap in content between Mike's review those links listed here.... but much of Mike's info posted at the start of this thread is fresh insight from another perspective. 

But for anyone considering buying the kit, recommend you look at all info three sources to get the broadest view possible.....TIM 

I suppose I didn't do a thorough enough search on the forum and I missed these 2. Your review is much better! 

I don't see how Round 2 would miss the opportunity to make the ZL1! Wouldn't take a lot to change this kit around a bit. 

I'm wondering about the hood being molded on a separate sprue. Is this different than the '16 SS kit?

They'd need to tool a new body to do the ZL1.  The front fascia is molded into the body.  The SS, 1LE, and Fifty all have the same fascia, the differences are in the chin spoiler and grille.