Model Cars Magazine Forum

2 T.R.O.G. 4-banger roadsters T&A

Phildaupho

DSCN4488DSCN4491

I am really attracted to the style, look and mechanics of the cars that participate in events like The Race of Champions and The Hot Rod Hill Climb. These cars represent the basics of the earliest days of hot rodding. There has been a lot in the media lately and I developed an uncontrollable urge to build a couple models of such cars.

1925 Model T Roadster

BODY – AMT Double T kit

INTERIOR – Bucket sears from kit with seatbelts. Added inner door detail and s hifters for auxiliary transmission and rear-end

FRAME & SUSPENSION  – Stock frame with suspension from AMT ’27 T Phaeton slightly lowered

WHEELS & TIRES – The big wire wheels are from the AMT ’27 T Phaeton. I also tried the the smaller diameter whitewalls and wheels from the AMT ’34 Ford 5-W Coupe.

ENGINE – Frontenac DOHC head and exhaust from AMT ’27 T Phaeton. Added two downdraft carburetors [Frontenac heads were developed and sold by the Chevrolet brothers after giving up their naming rights to GM. These heads were chain driven dual overhead  16 valve and could produce up to 100HP. Frontenac equipped engines competed in the Indy 500]

RUNNING GEAR – Following a popular Model T performance enhancing technique,  I added a 3-speed transmission to the Model-T transmission and 2-speed rearend which would give 12-speeds forward and 6-sppeds in reverse !!

PAINT – Tamiya Racing White and Satin Black

DSCN4495

1929 Model A Roadster

BODY – The back half is an AMT ’29 Roadster and from the doors forward is Revell ’29 Pickup. [This gave me opening doors, fully articulated hood and an accurate running gear although I must say the hinges and pins are fragile and fiddly] I trimmed the fenders to leave the side aprons as guys did back in the day otherwise the entire body would have to be removed. I also corrected the three ribs in the rear wheelwells.

INTERIOR –The seats from Revell ’31 Coupe with a bottom cushion and seatbelts added. The rear bulkhead was made from the old AMT Ala Kart body that came in the ’29 roadster kit. Filled in open areas of floor and added inner door panels

FRAME & SUSPENSION –Revell stock frame with many components dechromed– dropped front axle and additional lowering front and rear – brake shoes added [I am really impressed with the accurate and workable steering gear on the ’29 RPU & ’31 Sedan kits]

WHEELS & TIRES – The wheels are from the Lindberg ’34 Pick-up with two sizes of Firestones from the parts box

ENGINE – The Riley head is from the Revell ’30 Sedan [Riley heads had two overhead intake valves per cylinder and retained the exhaust valves in the block. Fully tuned engines so equipped could produce 125HP]

PAINT – Metallizer Burnt Iron over Tamiya Satin Black

DSCN4500

Great builds, Phil! I also love the TROG cars. Back to the early days of hot rodding. I'm actually working on the same thing right now. A Model T phaeton, A roadster and maybe A pick up. Any more pictures of your builds?

Here are a couple more photos showing the pose able steering, opening hood and doors on the A and the modified rear-end and transmission on the T

DSCN4497DSCN4496

I really like both of these builds. Been reading several article covering the TROG races and think this is a great idea. You really captured the look and the drive trains. To bad about the weather at Pismo this years. Hope there will be a '18 race.  

Fantastic and double fantastic! Very authentic hop-ups that would fit the atmosphere of TROG perfectly. Similar real "A" Roadsters have been built but man, a "T" Roadster just like that needs to happen full scale. The color scheme is sweet!

B) 

I really like both of these builds. Been reading several article covering the TROG races and think this is a great idea. You really captured the look and the drive trains. To bad about the weather at Pismo this years. Hope there will be a '18 race.  

Knowing some people involved in the production in these events personally and hearing the inside scoop, Pismo will not happen again. Dealing with the bureaucracy in California is a nightmareSomething on the coast of Oregon or Washington are being looked into as a future possibility.  

Fantastic and double fantastic! Very authentic hop-ups that would fit the atmosphere of TROG perfectly. Similar real "A" Roadsters have been built but man, a "T" Roadster just like that needs to happen full scale. The color scheme is sweet!

B) 

Knowing some people involved in the production in these events personally and hearing the inside scoop, Pismo will not happen again. Dealing with the bureaucracy in California is a nightmareSomething on the coast of Oregon or Washington are being looked into as a future possibility.  

I understand about the California thing as a former 30+ year resident. In fact I used to live for a time in Grover City, we called it "Groovy Grover where the debris meets the sea". This is between HW101 and Pismo Beach. I heard a little about the state jacking with them but the weather really cut down on the time on the beach. Really sad, I hope they can find something. I think the West Coast would support this type of event.    

• 9 months later...