Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Chevrolet Sinkhole Corvette Is Completed

mrmike

On February 12, 2014 at 5:44 AM, a massive sinkhole opened up under the floor of the Skydome at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Ky.  Eight Corvettes were swallowed up by the sinkhole and it took several weeks for all eight cars to be recovered.  The last Corvette to be recovered was completely destroyed.  It was a privately owned 2001 Z06 Corvette modified by a company called Mallett Cars, Inc. and was known as the Mallett Hammer.  It was not an historic car, but still, it was a special one.

My build will be of the third Corvette to be recovered from the sinkhole...a Tuxedo Black 1962 Corvette with a red interior.  It took engineers several days to remove that particular car since it had several huge pieces of concrete on the nose of that car.  While the damage to that Corvette didn’t look that bad, it was determined that General Motors would not be able to restore that Corvette without the help of a private restoration expert due to its age.  A feature that Corvette had was a removable hardtop that is not in my kit, so it will be built without one and built as a “before” vehicle using the Revell 1962 Corvette Roadster kit #85-4277.  

fCvJOUR.jpg

My paint will be Tamiya TS-14 Gloss Black body with Model Master Insignia Red interior.

pxlheIW.jpg

om7C9j2.jpg

More to come...

Edited by mrmike

I got the engine partially assembled and painted this morning with Chevrolet Engine Red.

vtk3U9Z.jpg

I painted the other engine parts with Model Master Aluminium Plate.  When these are dry, then I'll coat them with sealer.

6bJNARc.jpg

cSKA2L6.jpg

More to come...

Edited by mrmike

Thanks Randy, Jim, and Mitch!  Thank you Mitch for the photos!  This is the first Corvette that I have built in quite a while, so I hope it turns out very well! 

I think the Museum officals said that all but two of the Corvettes can be repaired/restored.  The Mallet Hammer is completely destroyed and will not be restored.  

*Experiencing interruptions?                                                                                                                                                                                   Find out why

That happens to you too, huh? Drives me nuts.

At least the '62 was about the least "hurt" of the ones in the hole.

Thank you Marty and Chris!  I downloaded both plates and I should be able to resize them in Microsoft Word, no problem!  And the least hurt?  That was the Blue Devil Corvette that was started on its own and was driven out of the Museum under its own power, but had a massive oil leak.  

It seems as though Ted deleted his posting here and I wonder why?  Was it because I don't build dioramas or what?

• 2 weeks later...

I have been picking away at the Sinkhole Corvette.  I have been removing mold lines and the body is nearly ready for primer.

vzcUe7m.jpg

I have been painting the bits and pieces that make up the engine, frame, and suspension of the Corvette.  I haven't painted the interior pieces yet.

HCHjct6.jpg

A little bit of work continues on the engine and I haven't decided if I'll wire the engine or not.

VlxnTPu.jpg

More to come...

Edited by mrmike

Progress on the Sinkhole Corvette has been slow.  I'm still doing research as I go along and I noticed that the 1:1 Corvette engine has dual carbs and the kit has fuel injection.  If I can find a dual carb intake and dual carbs, I'll switch them over.  If not, then I'll continue building the '62 Vette as is.

VkmEuJH.jpg

The interior pieces have been painted with Insignia Red and is in need of detailing.

215L8SD.jpg

The chassis has been painted and partially assembled.  I also noticed a slight twist in the frame and will try to correct it.

JVJI7tM.jpg

More to come...

Edited by mrmike

I'm still doing research as I go along and I noticed that the 1:1 Corvette engine has dual carbs and the kit has fuel injection.  If I can find a dual carb intake and dual carbs, I'll switch them over.  If not, then I'll continue building the '62 Vette as is.

The newer-tool AMT 57 Bel Air does.    

The newer-tool AMT 57 Bel Air does.    

Well, I don't think I'm going to bother getting the AMT '57 Chevy just for the intake.  It's a waste of money buying something for a part that may not fit.  For now, I'll keep the fuel injection.

Thanks Joe!

Well, I don't think I'm going to bother getting the AMT '57 Chevy just for the intake.  It's a waste of money buying something for a part that may not fit.  For now, I'll keep the fuel injection.

Thanks Joe!

Ok, just throwing out some kits that have it. The Revell 57 Chevy convertible has it, too. Plus it's an option, it also has fuel injection. 

Thanks Joe!

Awww cmon Mike! lol. It aint a waste bubba! It's another opportunity for more spare parts. sorry%20bout%20dat_zps1nny96hw

Edited by mustang1989

I appreciate the info Brett and Joe!  I have never been a fan of the Tri-5 Chevys.  When I was looking for my first car, all my friends in high school told me to get a Tri-5 Chevy as there were several for sale in the area at the time.  Instead, I bought a '56 Ford Customline for my first car.  I have always like the '50's era Fords better and I knew of a couple of guys who raced them successfully.  Now, the differences in 1/25 scale between AMT and Revell makes me want to not bother with the AMT parts at all.  I find that AMT 1/25 is smaller than Revell's 1/25 scale and I can't be bothered trying to "fix" the AMT induction to fit the Revell engine block.  As to which manufacturers' scale is correct or more accurate, I don't care.  I just want to build this 'Vette to my satisfaction.