Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Chevrolet Sinkhole Corvette Is Completed

mrmike

Progress has been slow on the Sinkhole Corvette.  I got some of the interior together, but the dash has not been worked on yet.

sB6rUDw.jpg

JImXTZd.jpg

A mockup to check on fitment.  I still haven't decide if I'll wire the engine just yet.

q9wnOOJ.jpg

More to come...

Edited by mrmike

Thank you Steve!  Between getting ready for the NNL East show last week, working around the house,  and dealing with health issues, I haven't done anything on the 'Vette.  I will be getting back to it soon!

• 1 month later...

A moment of opportunity to work on the Sinkhole Corvette!  I'm still finding mold lines that I have to contend with especially on the nose of the '62 Corvette!  The mold line runs from headlight to headlight between the Corvette letters and the Corvette emblem and I don't want to risk losing those details.  My friend and fellow Classic Plastic Model Club member Paul suggested that I use a piece of tape and cover the scripts so I wouldn't accidentally sand off those scripts.  Looks like it did the trick!

5kNqwmI.jpg

I think I have gotten most, if not all of the mold lines.

6Y1hopR.jpg

Classic Plastic Model Club member John aka GASSER#1 gave me the hardtop for the Corvette so I can complete this model.  Thank you John!

yrFRuhW.jpg

More to come...

Edited by mrmike

That is one handsome car Mike. I have a HRM '61 I have to get off of the bench. I want to do it up in Black, with the Silver Coves Black Top, and Black Interior. It's all mocked up. I just need to lay down the paint. Seeing your build makes me want to get it into the line for paint.

Mike, I vote for wiring the engine and if you want a dual carb set-up let me know and I will pull it out of one of the Revell kits. Or if anyyone knows if either the new tool or original old tool AMT has the intake and carbs that will work for you, I will get those for you. Take your pick.

Thanks Ron and Steve!  Steve, I have the engine completed and installed into the chassis so I won't by wiring it and I am going with the fuel injection unit.  

Smoothed out the first couple of coats of paint and applied two more coats.

Zd0DdhX.jpg

JxRWvxw.jpg

lzgGtD7.jpg

More to come...

Edited by mrmike

I have switch to a new photohosting site since Photobucket wants a $400 extortion to be able to post pictures.  I have reposted my pictures on my current builds, but I will not repost all of my previous builds.

• 1 month later...

And the rear.

sinkhole_62_vette_rear_2.thumb.jpg.b966a

A little rougher but it should shrink OK.

I tried to shrink this picture in MS Word like I do for all my other plates and it pixelated on me when I tried to change the image dimensions to 0.25 X 0.50 and it came out looking like a blob.. 

Wow Chris!  I wish you had told me that you were going to do this in advance.  I had sent the historic plate image to a friend of mine (he's a computer nerd) to resize it for me and I was able to print the '62 Indiana plate from the Acme License Plate site.  I will take them since you went to the effort to resize and print them out for me.  Check your PM for my address.  Thanks!  

Edited by mrmike