Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dick Brannan's 1962 Super Stock Galaxies and Truck

Over the winter months I have finally settled on the subject that I will complete for the IPMS Nationals in July.  Now that it is warming up, I will be painting the exteriors and interiors.  This is a really cool subject as these are the two cars that launched Dick Brannan's drag racing career and ultimately secured his job with Ford Motor Company heading up the Ford Drag Team.

The truck is AMT's C 600 Ford Stake Truck.  Modifications include 1962 style side emblems, correct 5 hole wheels and diamond plate sheet plastic from Plastruct for the floor of the flatbed.  Have the decals for the doors and the front.  The truck is the same color Oxford Blue as the all steel Galaxie. 

The 406 Super Stock Galaxie's are from MCW Resins and have been modified using engines, transmissions, chassis, firewall modifications, lightweight buckets for the light blue lightweight and custom decals.

I will be posting updates now that I can get some painting done.    

Brannans 62 Galaxies photo (1024x520).jpg

Brannan 62 Galaxie's. 2 png (1024x576).jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Test fitting the 406 engine in the Brannan 717 chassis.  Front chassis and suspension detail.  I am adding flash rust on the bare metal suspension parts and adding a light coat of road dust and dirt to the chassis and underbody to replicate some use rather than a perfectly restored version. 

I am doing the same on the Brannan 823 chassis.  Test fitting the engine.  Will detail the chassis and underbody with road dust and dirt while adding a thin coat of flash rust on the bare metal suspension parts

62 Brannan 717 chassis and engine (1024x576).jpg

62 brannan717 chassis detail  (1024x576).jpg

62 Brannan 823 engine chassis  (1024x576).jpg

The all steel 717 406 405 hp dark blue car really held it's own in a completion field of 409 Chevys, 421 Super Duty Pontiacs and Max Wedge 413 Dodges.  One of the best times was a 12.55 at 112 mph.  In one race he defeated Dave Strickler's 409 Chevy and was required to tear down his engine for inspection.  It was legal and the 406 Ford prevailed.  I am happy to share these two builds on this board and thank Mr. Brannan for his assistance with these builds.  I will continue to add updates as I progress.