Model Cars Magazine Forum

'75 Dodge Tradesman Custom Van

Lol! Leave it to you!

Thank you! If you look through the pictures, you can see it photobombing the van in the background. Lol. I've got plans to get back to it here pretty soon. Too much work in it to leave it alone for too long. 

I do see that in the background. I had my sights on building the 41 Willy's next as of last year in the ongoing stream of Street Demons builds that I've been doing and then I saw your 54 and it inspired me to build mine.................in Street Demons markings nonetheless.

That sunroof really adds a lot to this build. Verrrrry nice work Greg.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for another primer picture but the bodywork is all done! It's getting boxed up and sent out this week for paint. I can't wait to see what it looks like when it comes back. See you on the other side! B)

IMG 1315

Edited by Greg Pugh

• 2 weeks later...

It's interesting that your van had the same sprue tear at the bottom and the broken drip rail in about the same position.  

IMG 2234

I also found it interesting that MPC decided to kit the long wheel base van.  Most of the ones that got customized were shorties. After some study, I decided to cut one down.  The sides matched pretty well, using the rear edge of the door as the cut. The only challenge is the roof slope, which needs to be evened out

Nice work Greg. .funny I have a few of these vans.from unbuilt/un touched. they all seem to have the edge problem. I believe the length was cause these vans/tooling was originally a window van.csuse it was passenger vans.they were long. My stepfather was going to buy one.which instead he bought a chev c30 crewcab..he had a farm.anyways...I'm building a g30 van/tradesman in blue to copy that window/passenger van he wanted...lots of work...and your doing well on this.do you know what the color is going to be before the murals get painted?..what wheels this badboy will have?......Chris 

I don't know what colors he'll be using. I only gave him the theme I wanted and I'm going to give him the freedom to take the ball and run with it from there. I haven't really decided on the wheels yet. I'm going to wait to see what it looks like and go from there. That's also why I haven't started any assembly on anything yet. 

It's interesting that your van had the same sprue tear at the bottom and the broken drip rail in about the same position.  

IMG 2234

I also found it interesting that MPC decided to kit the long wheel base van.  Most of the ones that got customized were shorties. After some study, I decided to cut one down.  The sides matched pretty well, using the rear edge of the door as the cut. The only challenge is the roof slope, which needs to be evened out

NICE kit-bash Tom! That roof line looks as tho there should be enough plastic meat there to sand that slop to look even..... Hows the roof indents line up?

-Greg,

That body is looking real good!!!! I have this same van, as a glue bomb that I plan to go other-wise on it now then originally planned (I WAS going to use it as the van that my Uncle had for my "Family builds") BUT, I got a WAY BETTER one for the Uncle's van so that gluebomb I had is gonna be some wild custom now!

NICE kit-bash Tom! That roof line looks as tho there should be enough plastic meat there to sand that slop to look even..... Hows the roof indents line up?

IMG 2239

Hey John!  It went pretty easy. The roof ribs end right above the front door line so I cut along it. So nothing to match. Since I took these pictures I managed to sand the roof line to look right.

Of course I lost interest right after I solved the "would this work"  question.   I'll finish it one day.