Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ambroid pro weld

I was very sad this week to find that my bottle of Proweld is nearly empty only to find it is my last bottle and Ambroid is out of business!   

So what is a good alternative to Ambroid Proweld?  I have used the Plastruct Plastiweld but I didn't like it as much for some reason.  I've not used the Flexifile stuff yet.  My question is what can I buy at Lowe's to make my own?

Most of the liquid plastic glues are based on methylene chloride and/or methyl ethyl ketone. Hardware and home improvement stores used to sell them as solvents, but I haven't seen either on the shelves in quite some time.

A hot methylene chloride concoction that (to me) is similar to Tenax (my old favorite) is available in bulk from plastic-sign fabrication shops or supply houses...and even Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/Weld-Acrylic-Adhesive-Applicator-Bottle/dp/B0096TWKCW           Image result for methylene chloride acrylic glue

Faster...   https://www.amazon.com/Acrylic-Plastic-Cement-Applicator-Bottle/dp/B0149IG548       Image result for weld-on 3

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I was a big fan of Ambroid's Pro Weld too and was bummed when they discontinued it. However, if you check here, you'll see the EXACT "Same Stuff". ;)

I've tried it (I still have some left), and it's just as good as Ambroid's. The other's suggestions are good ones too-------but I know what you mean when you have something that works, it can be a real pain to switch up.

Hope this helps!

Tamiya's liquid cement is pretty good stuff, as is Tenax 7 if you can find it.

Tenax is out of business as well.  

I was never a big fan of the hotter/faster glues like Ambroid & Tenax (they tended to etch Japanese plastic and I was building a lot of Hasegawa planes at the time), I always preferred the milder/slower ones like Testors & Tamiya Extra Thin, but lately I've been using some Mr Cement S and I really like it.  Not easy to find in the US, but most of the Gundam-centric sites carry it.  It sets up really fast. You can sand a seam in a couple hours.  I use it a lot now, along with Tamiya and the Model Master needlepoint when I need a slower set time.  

Image result for mr cement s 

Edited by Brett Barrow

I prefer good old Testors myself.

Image result for testors liquid cement

Me too, for most liquid-cement jobs. It's MEK-based and gives more working time than the MC-based stuff, which dries almost instantly. But there ARE times when I WANT something to set up and dry RIGHT NOW.

Me too, for most liquid-cement jobs. It's MEK-based and gives more working time than the MC-based stuff, which dries almost instantly. But there ARE times when I WANT something to set up and dry RIGHT NOW.

I agree, the MEK is fine most of the time. I'm using Plastruct Plastic Weld, and I like it. I think the MC-based stuff is not only faster, but also stronger. It melts the plastic more, and makes more of a "weld". I'm hoarding my last 1/2 bottle of Ambroid for when I need strong, or if I have to glue acrylic.

"Same Stuff" from Micro Mark works on acrylic...I just did a test and it's very strong.

I'm in the process of making a display case for a large (36" long) model of a battleship. I had some scrap acrylic 1/8" plexiglas and played with it; nice firm bond, and easy to work with.

Edited by BigTallDad

"Same Stuff" from Micro Mark works on acrylic...I just did a test and it's very strong.

I'm in the process of making a display case for a large (36" long) model of a battleship. I had some scrap acrylic 1/8" plexiglas and payed with it; nice firm bond, and easy to work with.

Like Bill said, Pro Weld and Tenax are methylene chloride based. Why buy the stuff from Micro-Mark for extremely inflated price per 1oz. bottle when the similar stuff is available from any well-stocked hardware store. I use Weld-On 3 (which now seems to be the stuff Bill pointed to).  It will bond Polystyrene, ABS, and Acrylic.

Why buy the stuff from Micro-Mark for extremely inflated price per 1oz. bottle when the similar stuff is available from any well-stocked hardware store. I use Weld-On 3 (which now seems to be the stuff Bill pointed to).  It will bond Polystyrene, ABS, and Acrylic.

I wasn't suggesting you buy it; I was merely stating that it will work on acrylic.

I already had some on hand, so I gave it a shot.

• 3 months later...

I just bought, at Hobby Lobby, a product called Flex-I-File Plast-I-Weld. List price $7.49, with my coupon I was out the door for well under five. The label says Contains Methylene Chloride, which is the magic ingredient in all the late, lamented fast-dry liquid cements mentioned above. Haven't used it yet but I expect good things.

I don't know if this product is brand new, or if HL just started carrying it, or if I just happened to see it for the first time today. Whatever. It looks like it might be the answer to the problem here.

It's been around for a long time, works well, as does the little hypo-needle pipette applicator they sell. 

I use mostly Plastruct Plastic Weld (orange label) these days, or Weld-On 3.

I'll second what Bill has to say on this subject.  That said, I'm still working with a pint of Weld-On #3, that I got at a plastics supply house over 10 yrs ago.  Virtually all the ultra-thin, fast drying liquid cements we use are MEK (Methylene Chloride) which itself is not at all expensive--rather it's the packaging that costs--glass bottles are not cheap folks!  It's the glass bottles that most packagers of the stuff use that's the most expensive part--go price those glass paint-storage bottles for airbrushing and you'll see.  $7 or thereabouts for a 1 oz bottle of Micromesh?   I paid about $8 for my pint (16 fluid ounces) of Weld-On back over 10 yrs ago, and even allowing for the inevitable slight evaporation over the years, it's still one of the best bargains I've ever gotten, in my opinion.  I simply decant the stuff into my Micro-Mesh bottle with a simple syringe.

Art

I disagree Art. At the quantities they buy their bottles (they buy them by the thousands), they are relatively inexpensive. So are the chemicals they pour into the bottles. The most "expensive" part of those cements in little glass bottles is the profit made by the company producing them. Same goes for hobby paints.

I disagree Art. At the quantities they buy their bottles (they buy them by the thousands), they are relatively inexpensive. So are the chemicals they pour into the bottles. The most "expensive" part of those cements in little glass bottles is the profit made by the company producing them. Same goes for hobby paints.

Peter, still though--it's the glass bottle that is the most expensive piece of the equation. Go check on the price of the smaller glass paint storage bottles that are out there for sale.  Even if you take 45% off that retail price, at say, Hobby Lobby (which will result in approximately what those bottles cost FOB the glass bottle factory's loading dock, they are still costly.  Even the likes of Paasche buy them by the thousands.  By contrast, my pint 16 fl oz.) of MEK, in a metal can,  set me back a whole $8 back in 2006.

Art

Edited by Art Anderson

Peter, still though--it's the glass bottle that is the most expensive piece of the equation. Go check on the price of the smaller glass paint storage bottles that are out there for sale.  Even if you take 45% off that retail price, at say, Hobby Lobby (which will result in approximately what those bottles cost FOB the glass bottle factory's loading dock, they are still costly.  Even the likes of Paasche buy them by the thousands.  By contrast, my pint 16 fl oz.) of MEK, in a metal can,  set me back a whole $8 back in 2006.

Art

Art, here is the bottle Ambroid was sold in:

http://www.freundcontainer.com/2-oz-clear-glass-boston-round-bottles-black-phenolic-cap/p/4699B45CLR/

Cost per bottle (in quantity of 240-4200 is 52 cents a piece. More than 4200 is 39 cents a piece). Didn't look at the shipping cost, but I don't think it will be that significant when broken down to per-bottle cost. That is a fraction of the price charged by the bottle of glue.

But I do agree that buying industrial chemicals in larger quantities (like you or I do) is much less expensive than buying a bottle of hobby cement.