Model Cars Magazine Forum

American Graffiti is one of those movies that most people can relate to. The burger joints, the cruising, the stop-light drag racing was all accurately portrayed in that movie.

The F&F franchise is so far fetched you can't relate to it but unfortunately you have all these young kids out there trying to emulate the movie and crashing all over the place.

And that is why I have such a dislike for those movies.

It's not so much that this particular series of movies is a poorly acted string of pointless excuses to race & wreck cars as it is the fact that Hollywood has become lazy producing nothing but an endless array of sequels, remakes & spin offs.

Every year we get a multitude of bad super hero films, stupid comedies, & a bevy of remakes, with the occasional "good" movie mixed in.

It reminds me a little of why I have 75 cable television channels with nothing to watch most of the time.

Steve

It's not so much that this particular series of movies is a poorly acted string of pointless excuses to race & wreck cars as it is the fact that Hollywood has become lazy producing nothing but an endless array of sequels, remakes & spin offs.

Every year we get a multitude of bad super hero films, stupid comedies, & a bevy of remakes, with the occasional "good" movie mixed in.

It reminds me a little of why I have 75 cable television channels with nothing to watch most of the time.

Steve

You make a good point there about the sequels, however when the money stops, so will the sequels.

I am one who don't go to the movies often and I do respect everyone's opinion it your right but I am one who gets tied of the comic super hero movies and there on FX all the time. I have enjoyed the Fast and Furious movies except 3 and 4. I am a fan but I am still an old movie guy and watched 2 Dirty Harry movies today...

You make a good point there about the sequels, however when the money stops, so will the sequels.

Exactly my point.

If the public would demand better films and would just ignore the stuff we're getting & stay home, they would have to produce a better product to stay in business.

Just a pipe dream, I know.

Steve

Okay, Now I got to ask a question here, please for give me BUT what movie is that big ball of flames on the highway from? I swear I watch almost all the F&F movies and kinda don't recall that one unless if it's not a F&F film.

You know since some of you like talking about why you don't like the F&F films or films close to it.. may I make a suggestion here, why don't you go to Hollywood pitch them a very good idea of your own and see if they take it. LOL

Someone had a very good idea of a new version of F&F film back in the day 2001 (?). Just because the original F&F from back 1939 wasn't to good I guess (I haven't seen it yet) as to why there was no sequels to that one. I would really love to find the 1939 version and watch it just to see it and what it's like and maybe compare it to the reboot of the 2001 one version but then again there would not be much or anything of the 1939 one to compare it to.

You know since some of you like talking about why you don't like the F&F films or films close to it.. may I make a suggestion here, why don't you go to Hollywood pitch them a very good idea of your own and see if they take it. LOL

Believe me, there is no shortage of good ideas out there.

But as long as Hollywood can get people to pay to see these glorified television series, they'll keep pumping them out.

It's all about the almighty dollar.

Steve

Yeah, I knew it would be far-fetched in the first movie when they tried to convince the audience that a 211 in progress at a liquor store in Glendale would have the whole LAPD tied up so they could go racing south of downtown L.A. :lol:

Don't get me started!  In movies and music videos, poor old Circus Liquors has been situated (and robbed) all over Los Angeles County. From South Central to probably Lancaster and Palmdale.  For non-residents, It's actually located on boring old Burbank Blvd. in North Hollywood.  For several years I lived pretty close to it: 

Circus_Liquor,_North_Hollywood,_California.JPG

Looking forward to it.. they are cheesy fun popcorn movies, not Oscar material by any stretch, but entertaining eye candy..interesting cars, interesting idea material for models.   I still think they should have made one movie called 'Faster and Furiouser' and call the very last one 'Most Fast and Most Furious'.  :)

I saw the sneak preview of that - the actors were in their mid-eighties; going from one bingo hall to another;  in their government regulated 24 mph self driving electric cars  :rolleyes:

In the last one, they'll all be overweight and hairy. They can call it the Fat and the Furry!

Boy there's a lot of this going in this thread...

572789d5246406.54263691.jpg

I missed that part. Perhaps you could direct us to it.

Or possibly, do you mean the reference to fact that the producers cared so little for technical accuracy that they portrayed nitrous oxide as an explosive?

That's not old men screaming at clouds, that's just calling out stupid when it's stupid.

And there's plenty of just plain stupid in this series.

A reasonably smart YOUNG man could recognize it too. 

But any stupid-bashing done by a geezer here is somehow always turned into youth-bashing, and then the personal insults inevitably start.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I once watched a sort-of documentary titled something like 'Hollywood vs reality' or along those lines..... They were showing how much "artistic license" they take when making movies. One instance that stuck with me was a Suburban driving thru molten lava without exploding! :wacko:

I once watched a sort-of documentary titled something like 'Hollywood vs reality' or along those lines..... They were showing how much "artistic license" they take when making movies. One instance that stuck with me was a Suburban driving thru molten lava without exploding! :wacko:

And I'll bet you more than one person bought a Suburban because if they were impervious to molten lava, they must be pretty much indestructible otherwise.  :D

And I'll bet you more than one person bought a Suburban because if they were impervious to molten lava, they must be pretty much indestructible otherwise.  :D

Too lazy to go look for it now, but there used to be a hilarious blog where California Park Rangers talked about their experiences. 

One of their most common bad experiences was pulling SUVs out of dry washes, posted danger zones, and other places they shouldn't have been.

A ranger said they usually heard 2 excuses why the SUV was stuck: 1. "My SUV is only 2-wheel drive?  I really thought it was 4-wheel drive."  2. "But this SUV can go anywhere in the TV commercial!."

The rangers developed a special radio code for those cases.  It was "TNS."  Which stood for "Thwarting Natural Selection."

When your knowledge base is Twitter, You Tube, and Snapchat, don't expect much. And bankers that put up hundreds of millions each year for movies, they want their money back. They exist to entertain AND make money, same as model companies. <25yo don't go for art films, they go for bewbs, cars, relief from boring existences/jobs/life. American Graffiti hit a market at an age where younger people 30+ could relate to childhood in 50's-60's. Star Wars is big again to an audience that was born 20-25 years AFTER the original. I don't like remakes of decent movies, but serial stuff with special effects grabs people for 2hr. Try that with anything else these days. 

Try watching a beach movie from the 60's, or Elvis pic now. Same diff. And sorry, but AG isn't in same league as GWTW etc. Lots of people never saw the film originally.