Model Cars Magazine Forum

KrAZ 256B 12 Ton Dump Truck

P3210667.thumb.JPG.fd18bb65ebb021dfa2545

I've just finished this 1/35 model of a 12 ton Russian (Ukrainian) dump truck using a Roden military KrAZ model for the correct cab, rear axles, basic engine, etc., as well as a dump truck trans-kit from Custom Factory in Russia. Although the military model is very well detailed, the CF trans-kit is a bit simplified and somewhat rough by today's standards.....lots of air gaps and 'short-shot' parts, the most serious being the wheel centers incomplete. I suspect that the relatively rough trans-kit is generally used to model rusted and well deteriorated diorama style trucks.. I wanted my model to depict an 'as delivered' look, so there was plenty of work required to finish and detail the resin trans-kit parts. Although the military model's cab doors and hood are separate parts, they're unhinged and expected to be glued in one position, so I've added tiny hinges to make the doors and engine-hood openable/closeable. The fuel tank was fabricated from brass tubing, the mirror brackets and grab handles were made from fine wire, and the hydraulic rams were drilled and made operable using polished aluminum tubing and tiny pivot pins for the articulated parts. I fabricated pose-able steering for the front axle and I've also added lines to the air tanks and hydraulic hoses to the dump-rams. Paint is Krylon 'Dual for the cab, satin black for the frame, and primer for the dump body. All the firewall detail is fabricated using styrene, fine wire, and aluminum tubing. The tail lights are made from aluminum sheet and tubing.

I've always thought the Kraz 256 trucks were really attractive and proportionate and I actually saw them in action during a Cuban vacation over 20 years ago (Cuba has been a popular winter vacation spot for Canadians and Europeans for decades).

P3140643.JPG

P3140646.JPG

P3210679.JPG

P3210669.JPG

P3210682.JPG

P3210676.JPG

P3210661.JPG

P3210681.JPG

Edited by traditional