Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg '72 Dodge Challenger

RJWood

I received an e-mail from Model round up that this kit & a few other Lindberg offerings are now available.

Also mentioned was a 71 Mustang, & 97 F-150,

I was wondering if anyone has information on this 1972 Dodge Challenger. I'm sure its a reissue.

I would like to know if it is a decent kit. How about the Engine & chassis.

If you built one, show some pics please.

Thank you.

Ron

IIRC its an old Palmer kit, but its prohibably the nicest kit they've ever produced. I've not built one but i've seen them build and they appear to be somewhat accurate,

I've got an original MPC build uip that i'm restoring so I'll pass on this kit

Edited by gasman

IIRC its an old Palmer kit, but its prohibably the nicest kit they've ever produced. I've not built one but i've seen them build and they appear to be somewhat accurate,

It is indeed the old PSM tooling. I wouldn't call it accurate by any stretch, but it does make a good canvas for a custom or street machine. At least it's moldede in white instead of that weird high-gloss plastic Lindberg was (in)famous for when they first brought this kit out in the early 1990s.

Here's some photos of the kit and it's contents. The box art model is probably the nicest one I seen of these built out the box.

It was built by our own James Tester. Some say it's a close knock-off of the old MPC kit. Builds up out of the box as a street machine or custom version only.

HPIM1919-vi.jpg

HPIM1925-vi.jpg

HPIM1925a-vi.jpg

HPIM1923-vi.jpg

HPIM1922-vi.jpg

HPIM1925b-vi.jpg

HPIM1925c-vi.jpg

HPIM1926-vi.jpg

It you want to build a stock verion you'll have to do some kit bashing. I've already have one started using parts from the AMT Yankee Challenger.

If you want a true hardtop body and don't want to mess with resin or pay collectors prices for an original MPC kit, it's the only game in town.

With a liitle work you can build a nice model out of it.

=Steve

Is that a Daytona/Superbird style nose in the bottom left corner of the of that image?

Yes, that's the optional custom nose panel. Note the fixed headlamps instead of the Datona style pop-up lamps.

-Steve

Yes, that's the optional custom nose panel. Note the fixed headlamps instead of the Datona style pop-up lamps.

-Steve

That was in the original '71 Palmer (PSM) kit, which COULD be built stock.

Always did like that Daytona-style nose.

That was in the original '71 Palmer (PSM) kit, which COULD be built stock.

Always did like that Daytona-style nose.

Does anyone have the original PSM issue? I would like to see what parts are either missing or are changed compared to the current issue.

-Steve

Does anyone have the original PSM issue? I would like to see what parts are either missing or are changed compared to the current issue.

-Steve

Steve, I HAD the original PSM 71 Challenger and still have quite a bit left of it in my spares box.

From memory, I remember the kit could be built stock, "Daytona" or drag, and was reasonably accurate. The Hemi didn't have the blower (that came later). Plated five spoke mags and Mopar Rallye wheels were options. And, the kit features the first vinyl radial tires of any American manufacturer (Firestones, I think). There were two hoods, plain flat (Daytona version) and dual-scoop - no shaker. The current hood was added later, probably when the blower was added.

I know I have the instruction sheet somewhere buried in the "archives"....

Hope that helps a little.

Steve, I HAD the original PSM 71 Challenger and still have quite a bit left of it in my spares box.

From memory, I remember the kit could be built stock, "Daytona" or drag, and was reasonably accurate. The Hemi didn't have the blower (that came later). Plated five spoke mags and Mopar Rallye wheels were options. And, the kit features the first vinyl radial tires of any American manufacturer (Firestones, I think). There were two hoods, plain flat (Daytona version) and dual-scoop - no shaker. The current hood was added later, probably when the blower was added.

I know I have the instruction sheet somewhere buried in the "archives"....

Hope that helps a little.

do you still have the dual scoop r/t hood? i wanna build a replica of my dads chally and need that style hood

• 4 years later...

strange.. thought I was replying to the thread about this that I started.... no clue why it dug up a old thread....

even stranger... my thread is gone.... guess a mod didnt want a rerun, and tacked my reply onto this old thread!?

Correct. There was an existing topic on the exact same kit, so I merged your post with this existing topic, which then bumps the topic up when a new post is added.

Anyone know how close demensionally the old MPC kits are compared to the Lindberg kit.?

The vinyl top pattern on the AMT kit has turned me off to use it as a starting base

I have a few of the MPC pro stock challenger hoods and was wondering how well the hood will match up with the Lindberg body.

I have maybe 3 or 4 MPC 1972-73 builtup bodies but starting with fresh new plastic might be a better option.

Chuck,

Are the yellow side panels on that body painted or decals ?

Does anyone do the flame type side panel decals to do an accurate 71 Missle car?

Edited by gtx6970

Hi Bill the yellow side panels were printed on ink jet decal white paper and I airbrushed yellow over it with paint because I was not happy with the color .This was the old way of doing it before I got my Alps printer. Now I can use Cady decals and make a white underlay for his decals

In reference to the flames of sorts ,they actually go onto a 1970 Callenger

3214283136_d147b02dc1-vi.jpg

70MissileChallenger-vi.jpg

Slixx decals aren't that bad you just have to make a 2 tone yellow to red panel for the car

7085l-vi.jpg

Chuck

Edited by ratnasty