Model Cars Magazine Forum

+Modifying a Promo+

I just picked up a really clean , original , untouched 1978 Monza Promo for next to nothing , and am at a 'crossroads' as to "What should I do ( or not do ) to it ?"

Truly , what I'm after is a simple detailing of the promo ; painting the trim , detail painting of the interior , wheels , etc. , while not compromising the integrity of the promo it self .

Looking for opinions , and examples of refurbished / modified / detailed promos .

Thank you .

I've refurbished, modified and detailed quite a few promos over the past few years.  Disassemble them carefully so as not to break any of the parts.  You can sand off the mold lines and drill any needed holes for mounting mirrors and antenna's.  I've sanded off some very faintly molded windshield wipers and added ones from my parts stash.  Sometimes you may need to polish out any scratches in the glass using Novus 2 plastic polish.  You can repaint them using pretty much any paints you would use for regular models, but if you're using lacquer paints, be sure to use a good primer/sealer first.  Once it is painted and clearcoated you can use Bare Metal Foil for the chrome trim work.  Adding a black wash to the grilles and wheels will really enhance the looks of those parts.  You can sometimes also switch tires if, for instance, you want whitewall tires on a 1950's car.  Do a Google search on the internet for interior detailing references and you can paint and detail the interiors as much as you want to.  Bare Metal Foil can also be used for interior trim, dashboards and window cranks and door handles.  If the cranks & handles are not very well molded you can carefully sand or carve them off and then use resin pieces from Norm Veber at Replicas & Miniatures of MD.  You can add as much or as little detail to your promos as you are comfortable doing.  Above all, have fun with it.

I do that kind of thing all the time and have posted many here. I usually work with a slightly "distressed" or played-with or damaged example, but if the one in question isn't especially valuable, you can do it with a pristine one as well. It's YOUR model, do with it what makes YOU happy, especially since it sounds like you're not going to chop or abuse it.

Thank you , one and all , for your opinions , suggestions , and examples .

Oddly , the promos of certain vehicles are waaayyyyyy cheaper than their kit counterparts ; this Monza being case-in-point !

When I'd stated that I didn't want to "Compromise the integrity..." , what I should have said was , " I have no plans to cut this thing up ."

I'm going to keep the feelers out for the 1978 Monza annual (the so-called "Mighty Mouse" kit) . I have sentimental attachment to that particular release .

Keep your opinions , suggestions , and examples coming , everyone :D

I just picked up a really clean , original , untouched 1978 Monza Promo for next to nothing , and am at a 'crossroads' as to "What should I do ( or not do ) to it ?"

Truly , what I'm after is a simple detailing of the promo ; painting the trim , detail painting of the interior , wheels , etc. , while not compromising the integrity of the promo it self .

Looking for opinions , and examples of refurbished / modified / detailed promos .

Thank you .

Funny you should mention this, the last promos I bought about a year ago at a show were a 1978 Monza and a 1978 Monte Carlo, $20 for the pair, both mint.  Great price for the Monte, still fair for the Monza - seen them before for that amount, though.

I've been taking a renewed interest in these Monzas, since they're kind of forgotten little cars, but a lot of them came with factory V8s.  With a little hopping up, they could be turned into little terrors on the streets.  Seems like the promos still sell dirt cheap, and the way I see it, you can get them for a fraction of the cost of the new AMT reissued kit, or what an equivalent MPC kit reissue would cost.

If I ever get ambitious enough, I would like to turn one into a Town Coupe, which is just about the ultimate 1:1 Chevy sleeper.  Dropping a stout small block in one of those results in a "so wrong it's right" flyweight street machine.

I do that kind of thing all the time and have posted many here. I usually work with a slightly "distressed" or played-with or damaged example, but if the one in question isn't especially valuable, you can do it with a pristine one as well. It's YOUR model, do with it what makes YOU happy, especially since it sounds like you're not going to chop or abuse it.

Like Snake said...

I picked up this forlorn old gal...

DSCF4032_zps79ab1fc0.jpg

With a lot of work, planning, luck, and some parts, this is where I ended up...

1965%20Olds%20Model%20Finnished%20001_zp

This one is one of my favorite builds, along with this one...

2007_0522june320070200.jpg

Late '60's Imperials are very valuable in "mint" condition. This one was "rode hard and put away wet", as it was used as a toy. It was rather beat up, and had cracks and gouges in it. I had to strip it, and the "A" pillars and glass was toast, so I made a convertible out of it.

This '63 Bonneville has been stripped of the Testors' Turquoise enamel from the mid '60's. There is some residue in some areas that I could not get out, but that is all right, as I am not too fond of the Creamy Yellow color, so it is going to get painted and detailed. My cousin had a Cordovan Maroon '63 Bonne, with a Black Vinyl Roof and a Black interior. That was one gorgeous car, and that is where this one will go.

63BonnevillePromo.jpg

I would not rework a really valuable promo, but if one has any damage, or not too valuable, a re-do is going to happen. I am not a promo collector, so that is what I do with them. Now that The Modelhaus is winding down, I am not seeking out any more old promos to restore. Fortunately, I was able to get the parts I need to re-do the ones I have.

If its an expensive promo, then no.  A mint 69 GTX promo as an example .

But for what your lookign at , do with it as you wish . To be honest you'll probably improve its value to some degree

I want a nice builder Johan 1970 GTX and have come to the realization. Finding a distressed promo to RE-build it as I want will be considerably  cheaper  . Same thing goes for a clean MPC 1968 Coronet hardtop.

If I ever get ambitious enough, I would like to turn one into a Town Coupe, which is just about the ultimate 1:1 Chevy sleeper.  Dropping a stout small block in one of those results in a "so wrong it's right" flyweight street machine.

Nothing was interchangeable from the Coupe to the hatchback. It was much closer to the Vega. Hatchbacks had a severe tuck under (tumblehome?) where the doors are. The coupe, not so much. I know the coupe doors were a bit lighter in weight. My mom had the Pontiac Coupe which I drove a lot.

Edited by lordairgtar

John... Me I love promos of the 60s/70s era...I restore them if at all possible.  If there too far gone they become models that way they have another chance.  Some one finds are just too badly damaged to be restored as a promo..some are not.  id say if it is nothing rare or too expensive Id do what ever I wanted to with it in your case.  I have several old promos I want to restore and finding the needed parts to is a real challenge even though many kit parts would work on them.  Ether way enjoy the Monza.

I have a few promos that I have modified. All were damaged to some degree so I got them at a good price.

The one I did finish was a 64 Thunderbird hardtop. Roof was smashed and I wanted to do a convertible anyways. I got some Modelhaus replacment chrome and hood since the hood was molded in. I cut the hood and used what I needed from a 66 kit. It came out great but it would have been easier to start with a built kit. I usually go for restorable kits anyways.

My other two promos are because no kits were offered of them. One is a 74 Cutlass that will become a 74 Hurst Olds. The other is a 64 Barracuda friction. The Barracuda had all the chrome beat up and stickers placed on the body. The body itself was in good shape dust sun faded. A kit was offered of the 65 Barracuda. The only difference between a 64 and the 65 as far as the promo goes. The 64 has Valiant script on the tail panel and a completely different dash. I got Modelhaus replacment chrome and hood and cut the promo hood out. I need to finish that one.

The other is a 64 Barracuda friction. The Barracuda had all the chrome beat up and stickers placed on the body. The body itself was in good shape dust sun faded. A kit was offered of the 65 Barracuda. The only difference between a 64 and the 65 as far as the promo goes. The 64 has Valiant script on the tail panel and a completely different dash. I got Modelhaus replacment chrome and hood and cut the promo hood out. I need to finish that one.

Correct!  The dashboard on the Valiant / Barracuda changed between these years. The heater controls went from push/pull knobs to slides that year.  The push button transmission went away. So indeed the dashboard had differences. And the '64s indeed had Valiant script on the rear panel.  I hate it when people have removed that upon restoring a 1:1!  

Lemme see, the promos I've "resti-fied" include a '69 Maverick, '70 GTO, '66 Barracuda, and '68 Javelin. On tap for "the treatment" are a '65 Mustang hardtop, '68 Barracuda, another '68 Javelin, '67 Riviera, '66 Thunderbird, and '75, '78 (anniversary), and '79 Corvettes. Also have a few '80s and '90s Camaros and Corvettes to do.

These are fun projects. I like polishing the original colored plastic when I can get away with it.