Model Cars Magazine Forum

Embossing Shaker

Misha

Not sure if anyone has tried this; faced with spreading the embossing powder evenly, I turned the container into a shaker.  First step was to remove the liner from underneath the lid. Using an X-Acto circle cutter a centred hole was cut from the plastic lid (requires a certain amount of patience) and a corresponding doughnut was cut from blue making tape. The tape holds the plumber's screen in place under the lid, and is followed by the original plastic/paper liner, also with a hole in the centre. Thinking of running a bead of CA glue around the opening from the top to better secure the screen in place. To seal the shaker after use I cut a new seal, slightly smaller from thin cardboard and place it on the container before screwing the lid on.

Hope this is usefull,

Cheers Misha

IMG_4356.JPG

IMG_4357.JPG

I've usually just used slightly watered down Elmer's Glue to glue the Embossing Powder on.  First I'll usually paint the area to be covered with a flat paint color that closely matches the color of the powder......the same thing I do with flocking.

Can I apply embossing powders with paint just like I do with funny fur, or no? Thanks.

I don't see why not ... especially with a slow drying enamel. Flat paints may dry too fast.

I always used thinned Elmers but I will sometimes get chunks where it didn't spread evenly. A better spreading glue would ne nice.

Steve, what do you use to glue it with?

See Richard Manson's post. :)

I do it exactly the same way.

I always used thinned Elmers but I will sometimes get chunks where it didn't spread evenly. A better spreading glue would ne nice.

Do you thin the glue a little Mike?

If you thin it first with a little water it will flow better.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Might as well pass on one failed experiment: I used some Micro Foil Cement to paste down the embossing powder, then shot a coat of Tamiya semi-gloss black over it. After it dried looked very good; had a nice nubbly texture. A day or two later, the surface had split up and shrunk, leaving big cracks all over it. I'm guessing the lacquer reacted with the adhesive somehow.