Model Cars Magazine Forum

Two Lane Blacktop 55 Chevy

Rotorbolt73

This is my most recent build. The 55 Chevy from "Two Lane Blacktop". I've been wanting to build this one for years. Finally got around to it..It was built for my model club build off "contest".

This was built from a very cut up gluebomb body that someone started to turn into a custom. I had to restore it back to stock before I could do the modifications to build it as the movie car. Took me 4 months of work to salvage what was literally junk into this.

The basis was the AMT 55 Bel Air 2 dr post sedan kit. I used a lot of the optional drag parts from the AMT 55 nomad kit and the big block Chevy engine from the AMT 67 chevelle pro street kit with headers from the AMT 37 Chevy kit. I resin cast the American 200S "daisy mags" myself. As simple as it looks, it takes a lot of modifications to build this car. Enjoy.

PICT1458.JPG

PICT1467.JPG

PICT1465.JPG

PICT1464.JPG

PICT1463.JPG

PICT1461.JPG

PICT1459.JPG

PICT1462.JPG

I am curious; is that the AMT '55 Chevy Belair's rear bumper straight from the kit, or does that rear bumper have some mods to it, too?  

As far as I know, that bumper is from the kit. No mods to it. Straight off the parts tree I had.. 

All you need now is the 70 GTO.

Yeah, I considered it..lol.. good luck to me on that..hard to find kit.

Thank you guys for the interest and comments..

Sweet! You did an especially nice job flaring the rear wheel openings. I gotta figger out how to do that when I do mine.

Thanks. I did it using evergreen .030"  rod. Glued to the outside edge of the wheel opening. Glue and primer just blended it in..back in the day, they used conduit tubing to flare the cut out openings on real cars..so I just sorta duplicated that in scale..

Awesome, I've got one started along with 3 others I'm working on. This is way cool. Great job Matt. I can't believe no one has ever made a kit of this car with it's cult status and all the other movie cars that have been brought out in kit form.

Edited by Geno

Excellent job Matt! I assume that's just gray primer on the body?

Yep. Walmart colorplace/ homeshades primer.

Looks great!  Wheels are really nice!

Thanks, I had to make those myself. No kit made today comes with these rims. luckily, I had a couple old ones in my mismatched rim parts box that I used for masters when making the mold. One of the rims I modified to make it the deep rim for the rear and the spare tires inside. But you can find these on ebay in resin as well . 

Awesome, I've got one started along with 3 others I'm working on. This is way cool. Great job Matt. I can't believe no one has ever made a kit of this car with it's cult status and all the other movie cars that have been brought out in kit form.

Thanks, Yeah, it would be nice to see a kit of it..would save a ton of work on the AMT 55 stock kit..Would make an excellent basis to build as various 55 flip nose gassers commonly seen in the 60s. It could just be a generic kit with all these same mods and features but not actually advertised or marketed as the "two lane blacktop" car itself to avoid the hassle of licencing and trademark fees and royalties to whoever owns the film or actual cars. But allow the builder to leave the body in primer without gasser decals to build it as this car..Just a plain 55 chevy sedan flip nose gasser kit. Doubt it will ever happen though. too simple of an idea..

Edited by Rotorbolt73

Yep. Walmart colorplace/ homeshades primer.

Thanks, I had to make those myself. No kit made today comes with these rims. luckily, I had a couple old ones in my mismatched rim parts box that I used for masters when making the mold. One of the rims I modified to make it the deep rim for the rear and the spare tires inside. But you can find these on ebay in resin as well . 

Thanks, Yeah, it would be nice to see a kit of it..would save a ton of work on the AMT 55 stock kit..Would make an excellent basis to build as various 55 flip nose gassers commonly seen in the 60s. It could just be a generic kit with all these same mods and features but not actually advertised or marketed as the "two lane blacktop" car itself to avoid the hassle of licencing and trademark fees and royalties to whoever owns the film or actual cars. But allow the builder to leave the body in primer without gasser decals to build it as this car..Just a plain 55 chevy sedan flip nose gasser kit. Doubt it will ever happen though. too simple of an idea..

You nailed it Matt, it'd be to easy so it'll probably never get done.

Looks awesome, I love that car. Terrible movie though :P

i agree. terrible movie :lol:. i watched it years ago as a friend of mine talked about builing this chevy. couldn't find the sense of the movie...

You nailed it! like the Interieur.

the onlypoint in my view is: i thought, the paint is darker...but that was in my mind...as older as you are...:D