Model Cars Magazine Forum

66 Lincoln Convertible

Eric Macleod

This is a project I have wanted to complete for many years. It is a model of one of my 1:1 Lincoln Convertibles, this one being a '66 dual windshield car. I bought the car from a man who owned the car from new. He made a few modifications to the car that gave it a bit more personality. Originally it was painted black with a black interior. He had Baker's restore the mechanical aspects of the car and a local painter changed the color to yellow. While it was at the  painter's a tonneau windshield was added from American Arrow. For some reason the steering wheel was maroon, which I sort of liked. Because AMT never made a scale model of a '66 Lincoln I decided to hack the top off an old build-up of a model.100_2151.jpg

Here are a few chassis choices. I have  a pretty large parts box of Lincoln parts from the 60's that will help me with this and future projects. Eventually I want one each of the '61-69 convertibles, though some will be harder than others. With this model I am more interested in something that looks fairly close to correct than a model that is absolutely factory stock.

20170323_063110_zpsyjdsdvkf.jpg?14903827

I have had a few Lincoln Convertibles in the collection, but I have sold some off. I have an un-built '61 Convertible I want to do. I am leaning towards Burgundy with the Burgundy Interior, like the cars that were in President Kennedy's inauguration. I have to look at the '66 Lincoln color swath. I have a brochure of the '66. Right now, I am about to put some primer on a '64 Sedan that I am building from junkyard parts.

I am getting ready to do the "Hack and whack" to one of my '66's. I finally got everything I need to do the deed. I have to do a little research and scratch-building, but everything should come out smoothly. I still have not decided on the color combo, but I have plenty of paint, so that is not going to be a problem. Once I get started, I will start a thread on the build.

Good luck on yours.