Model Cars Magazine Forum

2015 Ford Mustang GT

mrmike

Well, I just couldn't help myself!  I had a second 2015 Mustang kit sitting around just calling me by name and telling me how I should build it.  Since my Spenser's 2015 Mustang GT came out so well, I blew the second Mustang apart and started sanding the moldlines off the body.  I added the rear spoiler from a 2010 Mustang GT to the rear deck.  I changed the wheels to the 2010 Mustang wheels, but that may change.  The interior floor will be flocked with embossing powder and the body will be painted with either Tamiya Bright Orange or Testors Competition Orange and I'll see what I have left for decals.

More to come...

I started out by chroming the wheel surfaces with a Molotow Liquid Chrome pen yesterday afternoon.  This morning I drilled out some disc brakes from the 2010 Mustang snap kit so they could fit over the hubs of the 2015 Mustang wheels.

15Mustang07.jpg

I masked off the rear valance and primered it in prep for Tamiya TS-31 Bright Orange paint.

15Mustang08.jpg

I washed the body this morning and let air-dry in prep for primer and Tamiya  TS-31 Bright Orange paint.

15Mustang09.jpg

More to come...

Edited by mrmike

When I completed my Spenser's 2015 Ford Mustang GT, I really didn't care for the headlights as they were painted silver from the factory and stood out like a sore thumb.  After a bit of thought, I wanted to try removing the silver paint from the healight lenses and add a picture of the 2015 Mustang headlights behind them.  I searched Google Images for "2017 Ford Mustang GT Competition Orange" pictures came up with two that were taken at the same angles by the same photographer.  I sized the headlights on Microsoft Word at .75 X .25 and printed them out.

In the process of removing the silver paint, I broke one of the headlights off.  I decided to keep them instead of creating my own lenses.

Using Tamiya X-22 Gloss Clear, I coated the inside of the lens and appiled the headlight picture and let that set up for a few minutes before adding a coat of clear to the outside of the lens.

I think they came out pretty good.  I'll have to update my Spenser's 2015 Ford Mustang GT with the headlight lenses.

More to come...

Michael, I'm happy to lend out my ideas!

Last week, I went and wet-sanded the Mustang to get rid of some trash on the paint.  In the process, I burnt through the paint in a few spots.  So this morning I grabbed the Mustang and a can of paint and dashed outside for a brief painting session that took all but a few minutes and dashed back inside and putting the body in my paintbooth to dry.  This afternoon, I looked over the body and it looks pretty good and I'll polish the body tomorrow with Mequiars Scratch-X 2.0.

More to come...