Model Cars Magazine Forum

2 door to 4 door conversion

I have been wanting to build a replica (at least close) of my first car. It was a 62 Ford that I bought from my dad for 50 bucks. ( it was a looooog time ago ) Anyway, I know I can buy a resin body from MCW I think it is but it is a 2 door and you use a 60 Ford kit for chassis and such. Question is how hard would it be to convert the body to a 4 door ? Not looking for it to be perfect but do I simply fill the two door lines and scribe lines for the 4 door ? Again not looking for perfection ( I gave up on that a long time ago : ) ) just wondering if there is better ideas. Thanks guys

Robert....  You can scribe your 4 door body lines to convert one into a 4 door it just takes lots of patience.  I will use many layers of pinstripe to use as a guide as well...the trick is to lightly scratch your new door opening lines where you need them...over time they will get easier and more pronounced(keep in mind the 2 door doors are longer than the front doors on a 4 door car).  after making your 4 door opening lines you just fill in the old 2 door ones and smooth it all out.  I have done it many times...like on my 69 Plymouth 4 door wagon build i did.  You can do it...it just takes time.

I've do it with a couple of models. A 66 Satellite  4 door hemi, a 69 Coronet 4 door Police car, and a 66 Fairlane 4 door wagon. Both the Mopars had to have the C-piller re-angled to replicate the factory but they turned out OK.

Tim

Your lucky, The roof line is the same between the 2 body styles .

I thing the hardest part will be  making new lines on the interior bucket

If you keep your eyes out, a decent builders pop  up on ebay on a regular basis . Or even a distressed promo would work . A 62 sedan is  not impossible to find

There is a decent blue 62 promo on there now I am high bidder on ,,, just for different reasons than yours

Edited by gtx6970

Timely discussion on door handles. I bought a (fairly) cleanly built '68 Dart for one of my quickie cleanup/fixup/resto projects and it's missing both door handles, which were apparently separate parts on this kit. Great idea on sili-cloning them from something else! That's what I'll do.

Fireball's door handles are very nice and actually pretty cheap. affordable enough that it's not worth fudding around with trying to make a set.

Also, kit molded in door handles are just that. Plastic blobs molded with the body. They are missing the hand hold opening.  I plan on replacing those with the Fireball ones on future builds.

Fireball's door handles are very nice and actually pretty cheap. affordable enough that it's not worth fudding around with trying to make a set.

Also, kit molded in door handles are just that. Plastic blobs molded with the body. They are missing the hand hold opening.  I plan on replacing those with the Fireball ones on future builds.

I once cut the door handles off Revell's '67 Chevelle, carved the opening out, and glued them back on. I've also opened up the handle on a few while still on the body. I think I can do it. B)

Oh the distant memorys of 50 quid (£ vs $ lol) cars Ray. All great in the mists of time.

Like you, i was interested in the look but not the detail when i started converting a 1/12 Monogram 57 chevy into a 4 door coupe that i had as my wedding car. The good people at Monogram sent me extra door handles as well as all the chrome sprues (3 sets on the 1/12) following a nice letter (no internet then). Scribing the door lines went ok but the door corners didnt go so well.

The model didnt get fnished but the marriage did. Lost the inspiration to finish it now so thinking about a 2 door conversion.........