Model Cars Magazine Forum

Teresi / Blair : 1/8 Scale "Italiano" Buick V8 Drag Bike ...On The Workbench 3/23/17

Helllo......I was going to start this build after GSL 2017 ......but, it`s a month away and I`m bored......so I am going to start it now......it is my Father and Unkle Mil`s Drag Bike that they built and raced in the 60`s at Lions Drag Strip .......it was called the "Italiano" and was powered by a 1963 Buick V8....... after they ran this bike for a few months ,my Father bought 2 Buick 215 Aluminum Block engines from Mickey Thompson who was racing INDY at the time and one of the engines was a back engine for the Indy car...... the "Italiano`s"  top speed was 156 mph on gas that was pretty good back in those days........I built 3- 1/25 scale models of this bike years ago ......but,I am going to build this bike in 1/8 scale.......I  will scratch build most of the bike and modify some parts as well.........thanks for looking

Hello.......thanks guys for the kind interest in this build......it will be pretty special to me......I would like to do a good job on this one......might take a little longer just to get the details close.........I got a quick mock-up.......I`m staring with a box part swing arm frame and I will modify it into a rigid frame......and I will modify the Chevy Small Block into a 215 Buick  ,well as close as I can get it ........it won`t be perfect but, close enough for the girls I go with......The front end is also a parts box find......I will need to shorten the front end.........thanks for looking 

Hello......thanks guys for the kind comments......I really do appreciate them:)........Well, I finally got brave and laced the front wheel ......I`m glad I did.......it looks better than what  it use to look like......it was pretty easy......just took all day........now I need to lace the back wheel and add some valve stems and weather the tires.......from now on I will lace my wheels.......they are not perfect but,good enough for the girls I go with:)........thanks for looking

DSCF3442_zpsrh9gmczm.jpg

DSCF3437_zpsdm3yoxpi.jpg

DSCF3433_zpsf47oyeh8.jpg

DSCF3434_zpsxfx7raxm.jpg

DSCF3438_zpsk7xcxmt5.jpg

DSCF3445_zpshurigize.jpg

DSCF3447_zps35rgmyml.jpg

Edited by John Teresi

Hello.....Bob and Len.......thank you very much for the kind comments......I really do appreciate them:)......Well I got the rear wheel laced .....took all day again......but,at least the wheels are finished......I think they look way better than  the kit wheels......I still need to add valve stems and weather the tires.....thanks for looking.

Hello......Danno,Scott ,Andy......thanks guys for the kind comments.......I really do appreciate them:)........I started to modify the frame.......I scratch built the whole rear of the frame and I still need to modify the front of the frame and add all the details.....I also shortened the front end about a 1/4 inch........I should be able to finish the frame tommorrow.......thanks for looking.

DSCF3468_zpsezfn8mrj.jpg

DSCF3467_zpsassf67sf.jpg

DSCF3466_zpsyxtkrv45.jpg

DSCF3465_zpssf4lvmuf.jpg

Edited by John Teresi

Hey Buddy, the wheels are fantastic...'bout time you addressed your wire wheels properly.

They do get more challenging as you reduce the scale!

Anyways the bike is looking' great and looking forward to seeing it in Salt Lake...cuz I know you will have it done by then.

dang...you probably have it done already :wub:

Edited by curt raitz

Hello......Ray Curt ,Art, Dave.......thanks guys so very much for the kind comments......I really do appriciate them:)........I  made some new front down tubes for the frame.....and modified the front end ......I made some handle bars and also made a seat and fender and fender bracket.......and modified the rear sprocket.......thanks for looking