Model Cars Magazine Forum

Crestliner decals in AMT '49 Ford?

If your thinking of building one there are Resin bodies out there with the correct body side moldings on the body. A few years ago I built a '50 that I think I got from Modelhaus. I still have a '51 awaiting its time on the bench. I know Modelhaus is no longer with us but I believe there are others out there offering such bodies.

Hmm. Never knew that. Anyone have a photo of the decal sheet?

Don't have a scan/photo, but I just checked the sheet and it's part number 6580-8330, printed 5/87, if that helps. I don't have the kit (that issue). I don't remember where or when I got these decals.

For the real cars, The Crestliner was not offered till 1950

I am aware of that.  The Crestliner was also only available as a sedan, which is why I referred to the kit as being the wrong year and body style. 

Anyway, this is the issue that had those decals - auction has ended, so click on the link to the original listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-Kit-1949-Ford-3n1-Kit-AMT-1-25-Scale-/222441343248

On the 1951 version, yes.  On a 1950 Crestliner, the second color is just a "sweep panel", like on the model pictured at the top of this thread.  In any event, the decal shown here isn't quite correct, as the Crestliner sweep panel was edged in a very thin chrome band.

Art

Thanks dodgefever! Looks like AMT trimmed the edges, rockers and emblems in silver. Still a good idea for a mild custom; could also be good patterns for making the trim from Evergreen strip - or even photoetching?

crestliner_decals.thumb.jpg.e8388a840d4c

Edited by ChrisBcritter

I've built two of those "Sportsman" styling study cars, one is a coupe like the factory did and the other is a convertible, since the regular Sportsman was a ragtop. The ONLY picture I had to work from was one in Collectible Automobile and IT was split down the middle.... out come the dividers and the calculator! Believe me, the trim is very narrow and is a bear to duplicate. I tried carefully slicing the existing side trim away and saving it to put on top of the middle strip: THAT was even worse but turned out okay; I only did it once, on the convertible. I have never used these Crestline decals on anything since the actual Crestline was a sedan, not a coupe. I saw one circa 1995 in a local junkyard (not even what I'd respectfully call a recycler's yard, just a JUNK yard) and got to look it over... I wish I'd had the presence of mind to buy the steering wheel off it....