Model Cars Magazine Forum

1983 Hurst Oldsmobile Cutlass - Update

RandyB.

Started this kit about a week ago. Been mainly working on the body although I do have the other parts of the kit painted and waiting to be assembled. Took two days to do the decals and a half of a day to do the BMF. Body is primed in Tamiya gray primer and painted in Tamiya TS-14 Black and TS-76 Mica Silver with a generous coat of Testors Wet Look clear. Tire decals from Fireball Modelworks. Back bumper is taped on so I could align the decals. Front bumper is glued on.

0.thumb.jpg.aca8ce8aa8ae086e1c27792fe1ff

1.thumb.jpg.3a128af5cb2686b497d01b999314

6.thumb.jpg.2828ed976d4f6d3ff74b0938f461

20.thumb.jpg.d4ba407f12fef215efb06a3ac39

21.thumb.jpg.cd2301185ca4652153841b61dd6

19.thumb.jpg.c055c2f533c67ff5272ac8dd179

22.thumb.jpg.5412460a057eb567b383a64f2c4

Edited by RandyB.

Beautiful looking build. I really like the way you detailed the dash. I have always liked this GM body style and owned an '86 Monte Carlo SS for many years. What are your thoughts on the chassis ?? Thinking about maybe using this kit for a basis for something else.

Beautiful looking build. I really like the way you detailed the dash. I have always liked this GM body style and owned an '86 Monte Carlo SS for many years. What are your thoughts on the chassis ?? Thinking about maybe using this kit for a basis for something else.

Thanks everyone. David, haven't got to the chassis yet.

Thanks everyone. David, haven't got to the chassis yet.

Just got back from "town". My wife got a 60% coupon from Michaels so I picked up the Olds. I'm going to use the chassis under my next El Camino build. The best part of the old AMT El Camino with the Monte Carlo front end is the body. The chassis leaves a lot to be desired and the engine isn't much better.  

Very nice job Randy!  The detailing on the dash board and the paint look great!

BTW how durable is the liquid chrome in the Molotow Chrome pen?

Can clear coat be applied over the liquid chrome or will that dull the effect?

Thanks everyone! Michael the chrome pen is excellent as long as you don't touch it with your fingers...even after it's dry as well. Otherwise it holds up good. Never tried clear coating over it though. Some have and say it holds its chrome look.

Looks awesome... been following along. I'm blown away how real it looks.

Been trying to decide on what I wanna start off with this year, this may have just given me the inspiration I needed. How is it as a kit? Go together well? And pros and cons?