Model Cars Magazine Forum

2016 Daytona 500 Winner

Jhedir6

This will be my second NASCAR build in over 17yrs. The first is on going at the same time as this while I await the arrival of parts and decals. I'm shooting for the "pre-race" version of the eventual winner of the Daytona 500 in 2016.

First a shot of the car, pre-race.

And Denny with it afterwards.

I'm starting with Powerslide's Camry resin body from Mike's.

The resin if very decent. Not overly think, but a bit thicker then a production kit, but relatively smooth on the inside. The detail is nice and crisp, panel lines are deep, but do need minimal work to even out some differences in depth. Windows and hood need to be cleaned up. Over all a very nice body with no more work needed than a lot of production kit bodies prior to paint.

Also from Mike's, Powerslide decals for Denny's car....first time using their products and the decals look amazing. Crisp, clean and vivid colours.

More from Powerslide, gauges, NACA ducts and engine goodies.

As well as a sheet of modern goodies too. Again, all from Mike's.

As a donor kit I'll be using a 2006 Monte Carlo also supplied by Mike.

And some shots of the body. The only issue that needs attention at this point is the bottom of the rockers, they're a little uneven and will need to be sanded flat...no big deal.

Very nice under-hood detail on this kit.

There's some small imperfections on the outside of the body that need some clean up which is no biggie, quick and easily sanded off.

Well that's it for now. I plan on getting started on this right away so I should have another update later today. Still waiting for some more small parts to arrive but I have enough to get started.

Thanks for looking.

David

This is going to be great. Does powerslide make other 2016/2017 decals for Toyotas?

Not sure Mark. I looked at the site tonight and didn't see them, but Mike could very well have them in the pipe. Personally I'd like to see some more Camry decals. Maybe the M&M car for 2015 Championship winner. Just incase Mike sees this.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Small update. After a crappy week I finally got a day off today and was able to put some time in on the Camry,

First I cleaned up the body and removed the flash from the windows and hood. Followed by sanding some of the imperfections on the outside of the body. The inside will need to be thinned around the wheel openings but I'll worry about that once I get the chassis located properly inside the body. I also filled in the jack points on the rockers. Not really knowing, I'm assuming that on some tracks the car sit lower than others so the cut outs are needed where as it seems the larger tracks the cars ride a bit higher and the cut outs aren't needed. Please feel free to correct me on my assumption.

I'm in the process of adjusting the chassis to fit inside the body and get the ride height set before I start on any assembly. So here are some test shots. Looking pretty good so far, but I do need to make some more adjustments on the chassis, its not a direct fit, the rear was sanded as well as the very front. 

Right side.

Left side. 

Front. Its sitting a little off to one side because I still need to massage the rear of the chassis some so it slides up more into the body.

And a shot down into the engine bay. No dash yet, Once I get the chassis set where I want I'll put the dash in and figure out where it needs to be trimmed to fit. Still a long ways to go

Rear. You can see how its not sitting correctly yet. I still need to tweak the left side so it sits down better.

I also got in some detail goodies to add. Photo etch hood pins, seat belt hardware and some material, as well as some wheels and tires. I'm thinking of displaying this with the wheels off, and jacked up in a "pre race" prep state. Not sure yet, but that's the direction I'm leaning to at this point.

Sorry, pics are a  bit blurry. I took them in the living room and am posting this while binge watching Netflix. 

I actually have the day off tomorrow too, so I am hoping to get some more progress done. 

Thanks for tuning in.

What are you going to use for an engine?

Not sure. Probably just the one from the donor kit. I know it wont be 100% accurate but I'll try to update it to a more modern version. Unless of course there is an resin source for more modern Nascar engines. I know I can get a diecast and strip it for parts but its another $50 or so that I'm not sure I want to fork out at this point.

Not sure. Probably just the one from the donor kit. I know it wont be 100% accurate but I'll try to update it to a more modern version. Unless of course there is an resin source for more modern Nascar engines. I know I can get a diecast and strip it for parts but its another $50 or so that I'm not sure I want to fork out at this point.

The chevy engine will probably work just fine. just add some tubes to each side of the throttle body to represent the efi these engines now have. And paint the engine the gibbs Toyota colors. you can make a throttle body by cutting off the front and rear bowls on the holley  carb that comes with the donor kit. just google the modern Toyota engine and make it look like that. Remember these cars don't just have carbs anymore.

Mark, this is a shot of what I think is the most up to date engine I could find for the Toyota's. Not sure of the year but I'm pretty sure the article I saved the pic from was a SEMA display car from 2016, or some other auto show from last year.

Should be close enough to make me happy.

Mark, this is a shot of what I think is the most up to date engine I could find for the Toyota's. Not sure of the year but I'm pretty sure the article I saved the pic from was a SEMA display car from 2016, or some other auto show from last year.

d57225605997f6ea808dbfedfbdfb225_zpswfgu

Should be close enough to make me happy.

Yes, just use that picture as a guide and that would be great. Some trd decals for the valve covers would really make it look good.

A small update. 

Working on the chassis ride height. It's almost there. Just need to trim the front of the chassis or maybe sand the inside of the body a small amount to get the chassis to move the last mm or so forward to get the wheels centered.

I also decided to open up the trunk and detail the fuel cell area. The inside of the body under the rear deck lid is actually pretty thick, there's going to be a lot of sanding and filing to get the deck lid shaved down to a realistic looking thickness. 

I'm hoping to have some time later tonight to get some more work done, sanding the body and deck lid are going to take some time.

Thanks for looking in.

David

• 1 month later...