Model Cars Magazine Forum

selling stach

From what I have read and talked to people the same answer is given. Most people that buy a stash pay per kit . Not what the kit is worth as they have to pedal them all even the bad sellers along with the rare kits. It is a low number but again they are doing the leg work. If you want a part of the cut you would have to have auction.  

I've been selling some of my "stash" over the last few years to "thin the herd" as I do have many more kits than I'm ever going to build. I'm also buying very few kits lately as I got tired of trading ca$h for plastic only to stack more model kits on top of the pile. My plan is to get my "stash" to 'bout 100 unbuilt kits or less.

I had a "collection buyer" approach me at a local hobby show where I was attempting to thin my stash, he offered me $5 per kit.  I honestly had to 'hold back my tears of joy" when I told him No thanks.  This is not to say all buyers are like this.  If you are serious about selling your stash, check around.

Expect pennies on the dollar unless you have a BOATLOAD of rare vintage kits . Don't be surprised when a dealer offers you 50% or less of  what the kits seems to sell for , they are  into it to make money plain and simple.

I'm a member of a couple different Facebook model sell groups , and Ive been selling off a lot of extras, duplicates and / or kits I've just plain lost interest to build , and none that's  super hard to find . My average is about $15 ea. Ive found that  if any more then that they don't move .  And 90% of mine are still sealed kits. ,,at the very least sealed inside . If its not complete, its $10 or less

Ive been into models  a long time, and a lot of the kits I have were bought when they averaged less than $7 or $8 ea. some I have still price labels at $4.99

I've purchased a few collections over the past couple of years.  I bought one through seeing just pictures.  Shipping was also involved so my kit offer was pretty low but accepted.  That was about 100 kits and most of them were traded right here on the MCM forum.

X2, Those of us who are on a fixed income with near little to no extra money would like to have such things. Why couldn't you "donate" to guy's like us????

I mean no offense. But just HOW would a seller go about proving you cant afford them .

Sorry, but that's a whole nuther ball of wax most sellers don't want to get into , myself included .

I know this is a different situation but it gets my point across.

A few years ago I was riding shotgun with a friend of mine who owns his own business. We pulled up to a stop light and this guy was standing there with one of these signs ' Will work for food - god bless ' 

My buddy rolls the window down in his truck the guy walks over. expecting a handout. My buddy hands him his business card told him he was hiring and could use a few laborers ( He does  concrete work ) .Told the guy he would start out at $10 hr.

Guy hands his card back to him and says (and  I quote ) "  I dont want your job."  and walks away.

Guy was there strictly for a tax free money  handout and nothing more.  100% true story

Sad part is there are probably people in these situations that actually need help and are willing / would prefer to work as opposed to a handout . But that day put a real bad taste in my mouth.

Wise man told me long ago, Don't work for your money, make your money work for you . Words I try to live by everyday .

Edited by gtx6970

Thanks guys I don't have storage problem yet ,so I will keep buying & eventually get around to building them. I saw a kit of a AMT #6771 55chevy 2 dr post for sale on E bay for 80.00$ I have 4,I know its silly to spent that much for that kit. AMT will probability bring it out again if the mold is good, just have to wait.

There was a guy in Chicago years ago that lived in an expensive neighborhood, drove a big Cadillac, and wore a suit to work everyday.  Every morning he get all dressed up and drive to work.  He did this for decades until he was arrested.  He wife and kids had no idea that when the guy would leave the expensive house for work in his Caddy and fancy suit, he was going to his real job.  The guy was a panhandler on the streets of Chicago.  When got to his destination, he would change into his "work" clothes and beg all day.  He would change into his fancy suit and drive the Caddy back home at the appropriate time.  The story was all over the Chicago newspapers years ago.  He went to jail for years for panhandling, tax evasion, and whatever else.

I go by what they sold for on eBay as their value.  Years ago, I had some that i knew I would never build so I reached out to a couple ads in the back of that other model car magazine.  I was specific...no calls.  Two of the four reached out thinking they could get the bargain (sorry if you can't honor my request we won't be conducting business) with both offering a whopping an average of $8 per kit.  I ended up going the eBay route and the lowest one sold for $30.

If there is an antique mall in your area, see if there's a vendor there that would be interested or swapping for something else you want.  I've traded off a few kits for sports team-issued bobbleheads.  Be careful as some of these vendors are just as bad thinking they will buy them for about 25% of their value.

You are a bit south of me but I started a Facebook page mostly to buy, sell or trade kits locally to avoid added shipping costs.(link at page bottom)

There are a few members that live down in your part of the state and may know of people that buy collections. There are a couple in my area but like others have said they don't pay a lot for kits. We just had our NNL today and there were venders selling their kits. Also a few other show/swapmeets around. I tried getting a table a couple years ago and what I sold didn't pay the $50 for the table.

Don't expect to recoup all your money but those are some of your choices     

You are a bit south of me but I started a Facebook page mostly to buy, sell or trade kits locally to avoid added shipping costs.(link at page bottom)

There are a few members that live down in your part of the state and may know of people that buy collections. There are a couple in my area but like others have said they don't pay a lot for kits. We just had our NNL today and there were venders selling their kits. Also a few other show/swapmeets around. I tried getting a table a couple years ago and what I sold didn't pay the $50 for the table.

Don't expect to recoup all your money but those are some of your choices     

$50 is a lot for a table and can quickly cut into your profits, or even your attempt just to "break even." I've been lucky these past few years while "thinnin' the herd" by takin' some of my kits for sale to three different club meetings, and also this one club has a swap meet/show where you can sell out of your trunk and it's free. So therefore I do not spend my money on tables.

It's all about the time and effort.

Those who want a quick out take the wholesale offer and have minimal time into the transaction.  They are done and over with.

Those who want to make a bit more, must invest their time and efforts into it. There is a cost of doing business too, which is the eBay fees, boxes and supplies, or table fees and travel costs for shows.  When you see retail prices understand that those are the reward for their work, minus the costs they've paid.

Well I'm sorry That I'm disabled and get $735.00 a month  That money pay's for my half of the rent,electric,gas. Also I have gasoline cost, auto insurance,trash bill, renter's insurance, Plus getting food and second hand clothes if I can. If i am lucky I'll get at least one kit from hobby lobby with a 40% off . Not many Garage sales or other places even sell kit where I live. Nearest hobby shop's are 30+ miles from me as are the hobby Lobby stores. If I didn't have a roommate I would never beable to stay in this hobby. I'm also sorry I took 4 years of my life to take care of my late wife which was a 24/7/365 job with no time off or pay! Being that she first went blind and month after ended up with renal failure.  with fighting with the renal center almost every visit she went from 170 Lbs to 107. That place had her so messed up she wouldn't eat hardly. Those were Four rough years Just glad she went peacefully when she passed. I tried to get a job after she had been gone a month, never could get any job though, In the Factories here you have to have a heck of a pull to get in. So My bad knees and high hip won out and I'm unable to go much work. 

I mean no offense. But just HOW would a seller go about proving you cant afford them .

Sorry, but that's a whole nuther ball of wax most sellers don't want to get into , myself included .

I know this is a different situation but it gets my point across.

A few years ago I was riding shotgun with a friend of mine who owns his own business. We pulled up to a stop light and this guy was standing there with one of these signs ' Will work for food - god bless ' 

My buddy rolls the window down in his truck the guy walks over. expecting a handout. My buddy hands him his business card told him he was hiring and could use a few laborers ( He does  concrete work ) .Told the guy he would start out at $10 hr.

Guy hands his card back to him and says (and  I quote ) "  I dont want your job."  and walks away.

Guy was there strictly for a tax free money  handout and nothing more.  100% true story

Sad part is there are probably people in these situations that actually need help and are willing / would prefer to work as opposed to a handout . But that day put a real bad taste in my mouth.

Wise man told me long ago, Don't work for your money, make your money work for you . Words I try to live by everyday .

Bill... I understand that one completely seen it many times myself.  Me..I miss working I had jobs I loved. bad thing is there is always someone out there that is only looking for a hand out while there are many that really truly do need the help....there is always others much less fortunate than another out there just trying to get by. 

Interesting topic. It depends on what you have in your stash. I needed to sell off my 1/12th scale kits a few years back , because I came to the realization that I didn't have the space to display them all. I had 40 kits from Tamiya, Protar and Revell. I sold them all to a local collector who is into F1 in a big way. We sat down over coffee and came up with a fair price. At the end of the day I had made money on my kits as well as a new friend. 

I had to do this with my military rifle (not ... "gun") collection.  My sons are not all that interested in all of them ... and it would be a real burden on my wife to deal with them.  It wasn't easy, but I culled out the ones I could part with, and sold them.  Doing it this way, I was able to sell them for what they are worth, not not the amount they would bring in as a collection, or a , can I say, estate sale.

Like I said ... it wasn't easy.  I really had to (wait for it ... w a i t for it...) BITE THE BULLET. :rolleyes:  :D

Hey, I'm sorry ... I really am.  But I just couldn't resist the joke.

T

Well I'm sorry That I'm disabled and get $735.00 a month  That money pay's for my half of the rent,electric,gas. Also I have gasoline cost, auto insurance,trash bill, renter's insurance, Plus getting food and second hand clothes if I can. If i am lucky I'll get at least one kit from hobby lobby with a 40% off . Not many Garage sales or other places even sell kit where I live. Nearest hobby shop's are 30+ miles from me as are the hobby Lobby stores. If I didn't have a roommate I would never beable to stay in this hobby. I'm also sorry I took 4 years of my life to take care of my late wife which was a 24/7/365 job with no time off or pay! Being that she first went blind and month after ended up with renal failure.  with fighting with the renal center almost every visit she went from 170 Lbs to 107. That place had her so messed up she wouldn't eat hardly. Those were Four rough years Just glad she went peacefully when she passed. I tried to get a job after she had been gone a month, never could get any job though, In the Factories here you have to have a heck of a pull to get in. So My bad knees and high hip won out and I'm unable to go much work. 

I understand this. I'm not disabled but my wife is. Her income is at a fixed rate and COLA was like 14 cents in January. Rent and food and fuel goes up higher than that. Whenever Lori wants an item, be it clothing, treats, night out...I do my best to accommodate her desire. I soon to retire and my income is going to be fixed as well. My model car fix has been satisfied by the raffles at our monthly meeting. $10 worth of $1 tickets and I usually leave with two or three models. I buy built ups and parts bags and create full kits from that. Although we are in a better income level than yours it seems, I understand your situation. We also chose to leave the city we were from and move to the suburbs to be safe. Costs more to live in my small city but I don't have to fear that bad element where I was from. I assume you have a car. Did you ever consider delivery of food? I was homeless many years ago and I spare changed my way into buying a $50 dollar Chevette. Started driving for a local pizza maker and in two months I had an apartment and a newer better car. I am now considering driving for Uber. Best of luck to ya and my deepest sympathy for your loss.