Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1/25 Custom Lowrider Cadillac Review

hpiguy

On 3/26/2017 at 8:15 AM, Casey said:

It seems to me the, just like the last time this kit was reissued, it sold out quickly and there were no more to be had. I'd buy a few now if you still want some.

The last time it was reissued a lot of them ended up on Big Lots shelves for $5 each, along with the '66 Chevelle wagon, dumb me I should have picked up every one they had the day I was in there.

18 minutes ago, Dale Gribble said:

If only they would have actually tooled up a 4.1 , instead they gave us the Chevy 305/350. I hope (but know it’s a lost cause) they include the custom “donk” interior 

The kit engine could resemble the HT 4100 V8, from the pics I can find it doesn't look too far off of the Chevy small block. Apparently though, whatever vehicle they used to measure had the front and rear from a 1990-1992 Fleetwood Brougham. Because of this, there isn't a way to make a stock Coupe DeVille out of the box (I do actually like the aero style of the Brougham, so I don't mind it at all!)

35 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

The kit engine could resemble the HT 4100 V8, from the pics I can find it doesn't look too far off of the Chevy small block. Apparently though, whatever vehicle they used to measure had the front and rear from a 1990-1992 Fleetwood Brougham. Because of this, there isn't a way to make a stock Coupe DeVille out of the box (I do actually like the aero style of the Brougham, so I don't mind it at all!)

I've seen a couple early 80s Coupe de Villes w/ the Brougham front end and trim, lowriders in So Cal...the '90-92 Brougham had Chevy 5.0/5.7 V8s.   I've thought about trying one of the resin 4dr Brougham bodies w/ this kit and find some stockish wire wheels/wheel covers...  

Given the continuing popularity and reissues of this kit, I'm surprised an enterprising resin caster hasn't offered a stock '80-84 2dr body, bumpers/grilles/headlights, etc. 

Edited by Rob Hall

1 minute ago, Rob Hall said:

Yes, and the '90-92 Brougham had Chevy 5.0/5.7 V8s.   I've thought about trying one of the resin 4dr Brougham bodie w/ this kit and find some stockish wire wheels/wheel covers...

I see that they did do that, however I'm guessing the 1:1 vehicle was an early 80's Coupe DeVille with the 4.1 and the Brougham parts added rather than a shortened Brougham.

2 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

I see that they did do that, however I'm guessing the 1:1 vehicle was an early 80's Coupe DeVille with the 4.1 and the Brougham parts added rather than a shortened Brougham.

Oh yeah, the 1:1 would have been a 2dr w/ the later trim added.  2drs and 4drs are the same length IIRC, just different doors and quarters.

Am I the only one to notice the 2020 box cover seems to have Photoshopped out the whitewall tire inserts? I have the 2016 issue of this kit, and it does include grooved tires that accept thin whitewall inserts. I wonder what the tires in the 2020 reissue will be like.

11 hours ago, Stef said:

Am I the only one to notice the 2020 box cover seems to have Photoshopped out the whitewall tire inserts? I have the 2016 issue of this kit, and it does include grooved tires that accept thin whitewall inserts. I wonder what the tires in the 2020 reissue will be like.

Good eye ! 

Have a stock body and headlights for resin casting in the works. Lots of proportional corrections have been made. the sides and wheel opening shapes  were so far off I grafted JoHan 77-79 sides in place Just have to add the moldings, pad the vinyl top and do final clean up. It is a bit further along than shown in the pics. Kit will have a body, headlight bezels, clear lenses and stock wheel covers.

DSCF8888.JPG

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Paul Hettick said:

Have a stock body and headlights for resin casting in the works. Lots of proportional corrections have been made. the sides and wheel opening shapes  were so far off I grafted JoHan 77-79 sides in place Just have to add the moldings, pad the vinyl top and do final clean up. It is a bit further along than shown in the pics. Kit will have a body, headlight bezels, clear lenses and stock wheel covers.

DSCF8888.JPG

I don’t think I’ve been this excited for a resin release in 20 years!!! I started a regular coupe conversion years ago , but gave up at the headlights. What’s the timeline on this one ? 

On 5/30/2020 at 2:39 PM, Dale Gribble said:

Good eye ! 

Thank you, @Dale Gribble! You cats have trained me well to look over every little detail.

Did you see the subtle box art change to the upcoming Jolly Green Gasser? Someone noticed how the exhaust dump was made smaller for the rerelease. CRAZY GOOD EYES.

As for the Pimp Caddy, @hpiguy just put up a build review, and it looks 1,000,000% like the 2016 version; tires, whitewalls, gold-plated spokes, and all.

On 5/30/2020 at 2:56 AM, Stef said:

Same as the previous issue, it looks like.  Don't know why they changed the box art, but at first glance at what's in the box, the tires appear the same in the new issue w/ the white wall inserts.

• 3 weeks later...