Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Kenworth K-100 COE kit -- Cummins color?

Just picked up one of the recently discontinued Revell K-100 kits (Revell 2513).

Paging through the instructions and (yes, instructions rarely have the correct paint colors) was just wondering if Kenworth had their Cummins engines painted a different color than Cummins beige at that time ??

The instructions say to paint the block "Light gray".

I was also curious as to what year the Revell K-100 is supposed to be modeled after ?

Thanks!

Kenworth painted engines white until some time in the early 1970s (1974, I think?), after that it was OEM color.  When is doubt, it's always safe to go with the OEM color.  I'm not that familiar with the Revell K100 kit, but from the photos I've seem Id say that it's probably late 1970s to early 1980s.

The kit box photos of the completed model shows the Cummins painted a light ghost gray (it's not white) --  I can sorta see from this ad photo how they could interpret it as a light "ghost" gray vs. pure snow white (see attached picture).  However -- if this K100 is supposed to be a post-1975 vintage, then it probably should be the Cummins beige.  I'm not sure if that style of grab handles on the side of the cab tells anything about the year ?

white_engine_Image.png

White or beige are both accurate for this kit. Revell's k100 is a "c" model between a 78 to 82 as the 8 bag air ride came out late 77 early 78 and KW went to the "e" model for 83. I've seen new Kw's with white engines as late as 1979. Yes it would be a white white if it was white.

According to my references Kenworth stopped with white engines 1975 but I have seen white engines in KW trucks after that.
Peterbilt had white engines up to 1984 but can be found in trucks after that too.
I have also seen engine manufacturers colors in older Peterbilt and Kenworth trucks, so there are exceptions from the rules. ;)

I believe the NTC 475 came around 1978-79 and was in production until about 1985-86ish

Edited by Force