Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modelhaus in Arizona

Need some Modelhaus parts?    Come to Desert Scale Classic! 

Zetcars, official distributor of Modelhaus resin products will be at DSC13, selling remaining Modelhaus parts. 

April 8, 2017, 9am to 5pm, 2001 W. Wahalla Ln., Phoenix, AZ 85027. 

See you there!

Bugger. I'm going to be in Az. the week before that...but I can't stretch the trip out that long. Damm damm damm.

All I really need is at least one set (or 3) of their "medium duty truck tires and rims". 

I'd happily pay a generous premium if somebody could grab me a set or several...if any are available.

Image result for modelhaus medium duty truck tires

• 7 months later...

Need some Modelhaus parts?    Come to Desert Scale Classic! 

Zetcars, official distributor of Modelhaus resin products will be at DSC13, selling remaining Modelhaus parts. 

April 8, 2017, 9am to 5pm, 2001 W. Wahalla Ln., Phoenix, AZ 85027. 

See you there!

Hey Dan

Is this Zetcar guy still around?

I'm looking for the 1950 Nash Ambassador kit from Modelhaus.

and what is the latest on Modelhaus Suff?

thanx, Curt

c'ya in April...

Curt,

I just talked to him last weekend at Goodguys.  

Zetterman has no Modelhaus kits or bodies left at all.  None.  Zip.  Zilch.  The DESERT SCALE CLASSIC crowd pretty much wiped him out (last April) of anything Modelhaus of significance.   

He has only a pittance of minor parts . . . then it will all be finite!   And, as Gabe said, expect to pay handsomely.

Sorry no help with the Nash.

Dan

Bugger. I'm going to be in Az. the week before that...but I can't stretch the trip out that long. Damm damm damm.

All I really need is at least one set (or 3) of their "medium duty truck tires and rims". 

I'd happily pay a generous premium if somebody could grab me a set or several...if any are available.

Image result for modelhaus medium duty truck tires

I got some truck tires from Missing link via Ebay

WHEELS

Edited by gtx6970

• 4 months later...

Not getting this Modelhaus thing at all....With all the talent that's out there, not understanding why by now no one has picked up the ball & ran with it?  Not seeing the risk which is the major factor in any start up business..Granted it will take time to build up the product & reputation that Modelhaus had but seems like a sure thing to me......

All you have to do is , come up with the money ( for the purchase , then operating capitol) , have an excellent working knowledge of resin casting , have a facility to move all the molds and supplies to , be able to work on the business 24/7 , have the dedication needed to follow through with the business model they've established and put up with people in general .

Piece of cake .  :lol:

Edited by oldnslow

I spoke with Don and Carol personally last week and they are nearing the end of the line for filling the orders received two years ago when they announced their retirement. NO they do not have a buyer for their business yet. I personally wish them the best with their retirement . Super people who produced a Top quality line of model car products I seriously doubt we will ever see the likes of again in our lifetime.

• 10 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 6:54 PM, 03Marauderman said:

Not getting this Modelhaus thing at all....With all the talent that's out there, not understanding why by now no one has picked up the ball & ran with it?  Not seeing the risk which is the major factor in any start up business..Granted it will take time to build up the product & reputation that Modelhaus had but seems like a sure thing to me......

Sadly, if it was still a sure thing, Modelhaus wouldn't have jumped ship.  They held on as long as they could.  The missing element here is a market.  Postwar modeling interests have always been supported by baby boomers.  That market first stumbled around 2000, when producers ceased producing plastic model kits, as boomers began dying off in noticeable numbers.  By 2006 prices of high-end promos began falling like rocks from a cliff.  All the plastic producers closed up shop.  The final bell rang when Revell went to sleep last year.  Now that everything's gone, there is no market left.  Unfortunately, all the promotion, quality, nice folks, low prices, goodwill and business skills aren't going to bring back something that's already died.  Just walk into any department store and see how many car toys you see.  Besides the usual Matchbox/Hot Wheels and battery-op riff-raff, there's nothing.

4 hours ago, luvzoldmopars said:

Sadly, if it was still a sure thing, Modelhaus wouldn't have jumped ship.  They held on as long as they could.  The missing element here is a market.  Postwar modeling interests have always been supported by baby boomers.  That market first stumbled around 2000, when producers ceased producing plastic model kits, as boomers began dying off in noticeable numbers.  By 2006 prices of high-end promos began falling like rocks from a cliff.  All the plastic producers closed up shop.  The final bell rang when Revell went to sleep last year.  Now that everything's gone, there is no market left.  Unfortunately, all the promotion, quality, nice folks, low prices, goodwill and business skills aren't going to bring back something that's already died.  Just walk into any department store and see how many car toys you see.  Besides the usual Matchbox/Hot Wheels and battery-op riff-raff, there's nothing.

Don and Carol Holthaus did not "jump ship". They were in their mid 70's and wanted to retire. Not that big of a shock that they would want to retire and enjoy life without working their butts off every day.

Also, I'm not entirely sure how you figure that nobody's producing plastic model kits cars anymore. Revell for instance did not shut down because Revell couldn't produce and sell model kits. They got caught up in the hobbico bankruptcy and by most reports they were one of the few arms of the Hobbico empire that was actually turning a profit. They were purchased by Revell of Germany which never stop producing model kits and ROG is going to start issuing some of the current and newer Revell kits. They sold off a bunch of the vintage Revell tooling and other tooling that they saw no profit in for themselves. Atlantis models bought a bunch of the tooling and is already planning on producing several of the old Revell kits that haven't been available for years. Round2 (Amt, etc) never stopped producing model kits. They've been going through their tooling catalog fixing, updating and backdating and giving us reissues of kits that in some cases we haven't seen for years. Add to that all of the cool stuff that Moebius is coming out with along with Tamiya, Fujimi, Aoshima and several of the other smaller producers worldwide I am baffled as to how you seem to think that no one is producing plastic model kits anymore.

Along with all of the companies that are still producing (and selling) plastic model kits there is also a growing aftermarket support with resin cast pieces photo etch stuff and detail parts along with complete aftermarket multimedia kits if that's where you want to go. From where I sit the good old days of the model kit hobby are right now. Yes I agree with you the Baby Boomers are dying off however there are an awful lot of guys who are in their mid-thirties to mid-forties right now that grew up building model kits that either never left the hobby or are getting back into it and have the money to spend on them now and the buying power to keep the model companies producing kits for quite a lot of years yet.

Edited by Toner283

I couldn't have said it better.
The heyday when the sales was great like back in the 60's and 70's is most likely gone but there is still a market for models, it has been turbulent for a while but it looks like it will sort out.

9 hours ago, Toner283 said:

Don and Carol Holthaus did not "jump ship". They were in their mid 70's and wanted to retire. Not that big of a shock that they would want to retire and enjoy life without working their butts off every day.

Also, I'm not entirely sure how you figure that nobody's producing plastic model kits cars anymore. Revell for instance did not shut down because Revell couldn't produce and sell model kits. They got caught up in the hobbico bankruptcy and by most reports they were one of the few arms of the Hobbico empire that was actually turning a profit. They were purchased by Revell of Germany which never stop producing model kits and ROG is going to start issuing some of the current and newer Revell kits. They sold off a bunch of the vintage Revell tooling and other tooling that they saw no profit in for themselves. Atlantis models bought a bunch of the tooling and is already planning on producing several of the old Revell kits that haven't been available for years. Round2 (Amt, etc) never stopped producing model kits. They've been going through their tooling catalog fixing, updating and backdating and giving us reissues of kits that in some cases we haven't seen for years. Add to that all of the cool stuff that Moebius is coming out with along with Tamiya, Fujimi, Aoshima and several of the other smaller producers worldwide I am baffled as to how you seem to think that no one is producing plastic model kits anymore.

Along with all of the companies that are still producing (and selling) plastic model kits there is also a growing aftermarket support with resin cast pieces photo etch stuff and detail parts along with complete aftermarket multimedia kits if that's where you want to go. From where I sit the good old days of the model kit hobby are right now. Yes I agree with you the Baby Boomers are dying off however there are an awful lot of guys who are in their mid-thirties to mid-forties right now that grew up building model kits that either never left the hobby or are getting back into it and have the money to spend on them now and the buying power to keep the model companies producing kits for quite a lot of years yet.

Well said and let's not forget the upcoming advances in 3D printing that's happening. The sky's the limit on what all can be done with that and the tech can only get better.