Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finally finished my replication of the 1985 GMC K3500 pickup, that I ordered new as a Sierra Classic, with all of the chrome. I beat her to death, and started a resto of her, with a dechromed look. Life interfered, and I sold her. This is the way she was supposes to turn out. It brings a tear to my eye, but I will always have THIS one!IMG_2762_zps4o1oyqju.jpg

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0018.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG

Great detailing !   How did you make the a/c lines and evaporater?    I have a 1/8th IROC Z that I want to put a factory a/c system in it but cannot find anything for tips..

For the A/C lines, I used the little rubber tubing that used to come with all of the AMT, MPC or ERTL truck kits, and inserted a piece of telephone wire into them. Then I painted the wire silver, and stripped the end a very little bit, and superglued little hex shaped beads to them to look like the nut on the end. They are from http://www.fusionbeads.com/color_family/Metallic/size_range/1mm?keywords=hex, and are the size 15 metallic silver ones. One package at $3.99 will last a lifetime. I am not sure what you would need for 1/18th scale, but these beads are available in many sizes and colors. I am sure it is just a matter of finding the correct size wire and tubing. The evaporator is just a piece of Evergreen tubing, filled on the ends and drilled accordingly. The A/C evaporator box is pieces and parts from the parts box, actually a Fuel Injection plenum from a mid 60's AMT Corvette. Enjoy!

Very nice! I had the chance to buy an 83 K2500 that looked almost identical to yours but didn't have the cash. It was a low mile truck that had belonged to a friend's father and was the perfect snow plow truck, only problem was it had the typical flaking GM paint job and had some rust on the cab and hood from sitting out.

You did a great job with the details, seeing yours makes me want to get a long bed from MAD!

I kept looking at the tailgate, thinking SOMETHING was wrong. My feeble memory failed me, so I Googled the1 ton series tailgate. There it was, wrong size lights, wrong placementIMG_2770_zps5vvucnkf.jpgIMG_2771_zps4bzf88f1.jpgIMG_2779_zpskbe3e0o2.jpgIMG_2780_zpsfsqem1wr.jpg. So, back to the body shop. removed the lights, which of course removed some of the paint. Bodywork done, masking, repaint, new lights, and NOW it looks right. NOW I can stick a fork in it.........................until......!

Edited by redneckrigger

• 2 weeks later...

Looks Great!! Complete with Hydro-boost and everything. Great work!! I like it. I still have an 84 K20. Maybe one day I'll be able to build a model of it.

Thanks, the Hydro-Boost was just a piece of SOMETHING from the parts box. At least I still have my old girl, a 1985 K3500, but now it's in 1/25th scale!

Tom that turned out GREAT MAN!!!!! NOW if I could just get one of my OWN model trucks done, I'd have it made!

Thanks, it WAS done, but then the "what if" bug hit me, and I put her back in the body shop for a bit. Finished up a conversion of the '84 front bumper to an '85 without the lights, chromed it, added a forgotten coolant overflow tank, buffed the paint, redid the entire exhaust system out of solder and made the correct oval shaped resonators, new scratched exhaust clamps, added a receiver hitch, and a few other items. Gonna be done just in time for NNL.

Gotta love that "what if" bug..... it happens to me a lot as well......  Solder for exhaust? Thats a new one, (I can't find the right sized solder for such), BUT what I have found (for stock type exhaust pipe) is floral wire thats solid aluminum, and found at the Dollar Tree stores for $1.00 for 6 feet of it! -Look at a lot of my builds I've got on here and you'll see that wire, specially my '68 Roadrunner model!

Sounds like you go in for a penny and come out with a pound!!!! NOT a bad thing!

Yup, have used that wire as well. But I find that the solder works very well, as it is available in several different diameters. 1/16 = 1.58", 3/32 = 2.38", and 1/8 = 3.17. Since all of these are outside diameters, they equate well to 1 1/2, 2 1/4, and 3" pipe.

Tom,

I'll have to keep my eyes out for it!!! I myself find a lot of solder at junk sales for little to nothing cost-wise, and I have found a lot of solder that be great for making my own header piping.... I have yet top try/attempt it so... But thats coming, the time to try to make my own headers from solder and then I'll probably turn a "collector" to go to the exhaust pipe work....