Model Cars Magazine Forum

'65 Comet street/strip car

Dirty Dave

I recently picked up one of Moebius' '65 Comet Cyclone kits, and I've started collecting parts to build it up into a street/strip car. I'm thinking a high-reving 289 terror that sees the streets on Friday nights, and the strip on the weekends. Since I'm shooting for what would pass tech as a late '60s  D/MP drag car, I'm on the hunt for a dual quad or tunnel ram intake for a small block Ford. The only one that I remember clearly is the unit from the MPC Mustang II kit, but I'm sure that there must be others. I suppose the cross-ram Cobra manifold from the AMT '66 Mustang kit could also be a contender, but that makes for some funky staggered hood scoops.

Anyway, I'll be back with pics soon, but I thought I might pick some of your brains for sources for speed parts, and maybe a good set of skinny slicks that I can cut a couple of cheater grooves into.

A possible source for the slicks is the older original issue of slicks from AMT; I believe there are a set of cheater slicks in there.  The only hi-rise 2X4 for a SBF I can think of is in the Firefox  Mustang kit, which I think you have already suggested.

I recently picked up one of Moebius' '65 Comet Cyclone kits, and I've started collecting parts to build it up into a street/strip car. I'm thinking a high-reving 289 terror that sees the streets on Friday nights, and the strip on the weekends. Since I'm shooting for what would pass tech as a late '60s  D/MP drag car, I'm on the hunt for a dual quad or tunnel ram intake for a small block Ford. The only one that I remember clearly is the unit from the MPC Mustang II kit, but I'm sure that there must be others. I suppose the cross-ram Cobra manifold from the AMT '66 Mustang kit could also be a contender, but that makes for some funky staggered hood scoops.

Anyway, I'll be back with pics soon, but I thought I might pick some of your brains for sources for speed parts, and maybe a good set of skinny slicks that I can cut a couple of cheater grooves into.

.......the MPC/ ROUND2 75 DART SPORT   has a nice set of M/T cheater slicks that should fit nicely, and be correct for that late 60s  to mid 70s era,,,,and as for tunnel rams, the one offered in the AMT 75 and 76 GREMLIN kit's is very generic, and easily workable to use on several brands of small block's. The 2 carb's supplied  are ok, but a better set of Holley's and a bit of tweaking would be the way to go....just a couple idea's here.....nice project ,,,,,,,the Ace.....;)..oh, the use of a tear drop scoop would still suit the era too, as they were still being used by some guy's on M/P  car's even at that point....

Edited by AC Norton
text

I like your idea for a S/S Comet Dave. I recently saw one at the Cleveland Autorama.

I've got the same kit as well and going another direction and that's a great idea for tunnel ram from Ace.

Another idea would be to get the generic TR kit from VCG resins and work it up using the stock manifold. It would be more work but it might be cheaper depending on what you could get a Gremlin kit for.

Dunno, just another option.

VCG Tunnel Ram.JPG

Super Cyclone Side.jpg

Super Cyclone Engine.jpg

Edited by MeatMan

I like your idea for a S/S Comet Dave. I recently saw one at the Cleveland Autorama.

I've got the same kit as well and going another direction and that's a great idea for tunnel ram from Ace.

Another idea would be to get the generic TR kit from VCG resins and work it up using the stock manifold. It would be more work but it might be cheaper depending on what you could get a Gremlin kit for.

Dunno, just another option.

VCG Tunnel Ram.JPG

Super Cyclone Side.jpg

Super Cyclone Engine.jpg

yup, Dennis,,, I just thought that working over the Gremlin piece would keep it inexpensive and easy to accomplish. I would bet that grabbing one off the forum from guy's who built their car stock will be painless too......the piece you suggest is very nice by comparison, although I bet buying a Gremlin kit may prove a better deal all round, as then you would have slicks, Cragar's, decals,,etc as bonus for later builds....just a thought.....the Ace....B)

yup, Dennis,,, I just thought that working over the Gremlin piece would keep it inexpensive and easy to accomplish. I would bet that grabbing one off the forum from guy's who built their car stock will be painless too......the piece you suggest is very nice by comparison, although I bet buying a Gremlin kit may prove a better deal all round, as then you would have slicks, Cragar's, decals,,etc as bonus for later builds....just a thought.....the Ace....B)

I'm on the same page as you are. While that resin piece is really nice, I'm thinking the Gremlin's tunnel ram probably looks more like the earlier cast aluminum manifolds, and not so much the later fabricated sheet metal ones. Besides, I still have about $30 in credit left at the LHS, and that should just about cover the cost of a Gremlin that was still on the shelf a couple of weeks ago.

If I search around enough, I'm sure that I can come up with a pair of skinny slicks in my parts bin. Most of the ones I have are probably 8.20 wide, but there must be a pair that can pass for 7" ers. And although the '66 rules mandated 7" slicks for MP, I have a feeling that got wider a couple of years later - I will check. Now I just need to decide on what kind of scoop/hood blister to build up... likely make it look like a garage-fabricated piece, and not some parts house fiberglass unit, but we'll see what looks right as i move on with this.

Thanks for the advice, gentlemen!

I'm on the same page as you are. While that resin piece is really nice, I'm thinking the Gremlin's tunnel ram probably looks more like the earlier cast aluminum manifolds, and not so much the later fabricated sheet metal ones. Besides, I still have about $30 in credit left at the LHS, and that should just about cover the cost of a Gremlin that was still on the shelf a couple of weeks ago.

If I search around enough, I'm sure that I can come up with a pair of skinny slicks in my parts bin. Most of the ones I have are probably 8.20 wide, but there must be a pair that can pass for 7" ers. And although the '66 rules mandated 7" slicks for MP, I have a feeling that got wider a couple of years later - I will check. Now I just need to decide on what kind of scoop/hood blister to build up... likely make it look like a garage-fabricated piece, and not some parts house fiberglass unit, but we'll see what looks right as i move on with this.

Thanks for the advice, gentlemen!

David, those Gremlin kit's can usually be bought quite reasonable on ebay, 75 or the 76 version. As for slick's,,, the pair in the AMT 36 FORD  would probably work....they seem to be just the right size for a wheel opening as the Comet has....but many different type's may do here.....even the MH  pie crust slick's may do it........the Ace...;)......just checked ebay....there is a new mib 76 Gremlin on at 12 bucks, or best offer....THATS a great deal....item number is 122398637338.....I always hate seeing someone pay too much...lol....:lol:........the Ace..

Edited by AC Norton
text

David, those Gremlin kit's can usually be bought quite reasonable on ebay, 75 or the 76 version. As for slick's,,, the pair in the AMT 36 FORD  would probably work....they seem to be just the right size for a wheel opening as the Comet has....but many different type's may do here.....even the MH  pie crust slick's may do it........the Ace...;)......just checked ebay....there is a new mib 76 Gremlin on at 12 bucks, or best offer....THATS a great deal....item number is 122398637338.....I always hate seeing someone pay too much...lol....:lol:........the Ace..

I'll have to pull out that '36 kit - converted it to a gasser/streat freak sort of like the Hot Wheels Neet Streeter - those slicks are probably still laying in the bottom of the box. The more I look at the single four-barrel on the top of that tunnel ram, them more that I like that look. On a little 289/302, that seems like it should be enough fuel/air, even at 9,000 rpms.

I'll have to pull out that '36 kit - converted it to a gasser/streat freak sort of like the Hot Wheels Neet Streeter - those slicks are probably still laying in the bottom of the box. The more I look at the single four-barrel on the top of that tunnel ram, them more that I like that look. On a little 289/302, that seems like it should be enough fuel/air, even at 9,000 rpms.

I agree.....a single carb tunnel ram on a killer 289-302 with the right combo would be a very hi-revving little engine. Those small block Ford's can, and do rev stupid rpms just like a SBC.....my friend has a 70 Boss 302 and I have been in the car several times over the year's and seen the Sun tach hit 7000 and it's stock with header's and some tuning......even my '92 5 litre Mustang with some bolt on's and 4.10 gears back in the mid 90s went thru at just over 6000 and other friend's with lots more than I had were turning 7800-8200 with fuelie's.....:D......the Ace......;)

Yikes! $20 shipping? 

I found this one for about $8 cheaper. https://www.ebay.com/itm/112333303046 

.....my friend has a 70 Boss 302 and I have been in the car several times over the year's and seen the Sun tach hit 7000 and it's stock with header's and some tuning......

Well a 302 Boss doesn't wake up until those RPM's due to the huge intake runners and valves in the Boss heads. ;)
The stock camshaft in the street car Boss engines was too lame and needed to be swapped for a hotter one that allow higher RPM's so the engines could perform as they were capable to, a good tuned 302 Boss with the right content could be revved up to 8-9000 or even higher.
The rated HP for the street 302 Boss was 290 hp at 5800 rpm and the rev limiter was set at 6250 rpm, but the engine was capable of a lot more as the stock connecting rods were good up to around 8000 without breaking, and I saw a dyno result on a stock 302 Boss where it hit 372 hp at 6800 RPM.

Edited by Force

I've heard my own small share of 10,000 rpm small blocks, and it's those very sounds that are inspiring this build-up.

.........my favorite's as you mention were the small  cube Modified  Production and Gas class Corvette's from the 70's era....Ault and James, Larry Kopp, Checkmate, and on and on......some of the most exciting and wild round's that I ever witnessed....love 'em all.......the Ace....:lol:

gee, I didn't know ANY of that...:o....I guess over 43 years of owning and running several cars and only being around it all since around '68, I've either learned or experienced  nothing.....maybe us dumb North American's should move to Sweden were it's at.....yumpin' yimminy , I have to catch my bus,,,gotta  go.......the Ace.....<_<

Not sure where this came from Ace. No need to dump on an entire country just because you do not like that someone provided additional information to one of your posts.

If I can get out of the office in time tonight, I may be able to pick up a Gremlin on my way home. I'm thinking that I could possibly finish this in time for the SoCal NNL on May 7. That's be pretty cool - haven't displayed a new street machine or drag build in years.