Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fixing a Paint Chip

Not too long ago I accidentally dropped one of my models. Fortunately most of the model fell on carpet, although a small corner did hit the edge of a sliding closet door, resulting in a small paint chip right above the front. The chip is minuscule but still a mar on an otherwise decent finish. The car was painted with Tamiya Pure White out of a spray can. So my question is: how should I fix this?

1. Leave it be.

2. Repaint that specific panel of the car.

3. Touch it up with a brush/paint pen.

As I mentioned before, the chip is minuscule so I can live with option 1, but I'm interested in hearing about your guys' experiences. 

Thank you in advance. 

Seeing as how the paint chip is minuscule, I would touch it up with a brush and when dry I would use 8,000 & 12,000 grit polishing cloths to level it out with the rest of the paint. Or you could even touch it up with a paint pen also. If the damage is that small, I wouldn't  put too much effort into repairs, as I have plenty of other projects I could be building.

Seeing as how the paint chip is minuscule, I would touch it up with a brush and when dry I would use 8,000 & 12,000 grit polishing cloths to level it out with the rest of the paint. Or you could even touch it up with a paint pen also. If the damage is that small, I wouldn't  put too much effort into repairs, as I have plenty of other projects I could be building.

I concur.

If it's that small, a dab of matching paint with a brush will make it nearly imperceptible.

Steve

I also concur. I do this kind of thing all the time. You're lucky it was plain white, and not something like a candy or pearl.

PS: After fixing, you'll always see this "wart" because you know it's there, but I'll guarantee you that 98% of the people who look at this model will never notice it (unless you put it in a judged contest).

And BTW, I also often touch up polishing "rub-throughs," chrome trim run-over, and other little flaws with a brush. If anyone here has ever spotted one of my makeup fixes in a posted photo, they've never mentioned it.

Edited by Snake45

Not too long ago I accidentally dropped one of my models. Fortunately most of the model fell on carpet, although a small corner did hit the edge of a sliding closet door, resulting in a small paint chip right above the front. The chip is minuscule but still a mar on an otherwise decent finish. The car was painted with Tamiya Pure White out of a spray can. So my question is: how should I fix this?

1. Leave it be.

2. Repaint that specific panel of the car.

3. Touch it up with a brush/paint pen.

As I mentioned before, the chip is minuscule so I can live with option 1, but I'm interested in hearing about your guys' experiences. 

Thank you in advance. 

if it's Tamiya white, just spray a blast into the lid, or whatever you like, stir that little wad of paint for a moment, let the paint sit for 3 or 4 minutes, stir again, then using a detail brush, gently 'dot' the spot to be fixed. If a bit more is required, stir the wad again, making sure it is not getting too thick, and dot again until happy. I have touched up Tamiya spray this way many time's thru the year's and white is the easiest to work with....hope this help's....the Ace....:D

Tamiya White is pretty thin. But if you spray a bit into a cup or something and let it sit a little while it thickens up. Making it super easy to use as a touch up. . Once dry maybe dab a little clear over it ,,,after a few days just  rub it out .

Ive done this dozens of times with decent results

I agree with the dabbing methods previously described, especially if you use the same Tamiya paint; that will assure a good color match.

I'd be reluctant, however, to touch it up with a paint pen...you might open a whole can of worms regarding the chemical compatibility of the paint pen and Tamiya paint as well the possibility (or probability) of the colors, even though they are white, not matching.

Edited by BigTallDad

I'd be reluctant, however, to touch it up with a paint pen...you might open a whole can of worms regarding the chemical compatibility of the paint pen and Tamiya paint as well the possibility (or probability) of the colors, even though they are white, not matching.

Absolutely. I'll ensure that I use the same Tamiya paint.

Tamiya paint is lacquer based so all the above suggestions are spot on(sorry for the pun).  As a lacquer base it will dissolve the paint around it slightly and blend in with no noticeable separation lines.  If you are feeling skilled, you can build up the spot and then sand an polish it down to make it go away completely.  Just take your time and use very fine grit papers.  Do not try this with enamels or acrylics.  You will get a layering effect that will be visible most of the time. 

I need adopt this way of thinking. I have 6 models that are 3/4s of the way done except for very minor flaws in the paint that I feel I can't live with but nobody would probably notice. I'd probably be learning much more by moving on. 

I need adopt this way of thinking. I have 6 models that are 3/4s of the way done except for very minor flaws in the paint that I feel I can't live with but nobody would probably notice. I'd probably be learning much more by moving on. 

This is a common mental block, I can tell you from personal experience. Fix it as best you can, finish the thing up, and drive on. You'll do better next time.

Some builders will strip a paint job at the drop of a pin, me I don't remember the last time I've stripped paint off a model car body. I did get a blemish or run one time, let it fully dry, sanded it, blended in some paint, and "presto" I was ready to rock!

This is a common mental block, I can tell you from personal experience. Fix it as best you can, finish the thing up, and drive on. You'll do better next time.

I agree completely.

I can't remember the last time I built a model that didn't have at least one minor flaw in it.

When you're a perfectionist, it's hard to get past them sometimes, & it can discourage you from wanting to continue on with the build, but I find that once you move on from it, you'll barely remember that it's even there.

Steve