Model Cars Magazine Forum

scale motorsport Shelby Daytona coupe

I am interested in this kit, but I am not familiar with their work. The site looks very good as do the info and photos. But at the price this kit is I am a bit cautious about a big investment.

I am sure many of you have built their stuff? Value for the money? Quality?

I see also they do some big stuff also that is way pricey. Any body done the 1/12 stuff? 427 Cobra? The instruction sheets are pretty elaborate for sure. I am very familiar with the large scale Tamiya stuff, how do they compare?

Thanks for your guidance and input, I do appreciate.

Phil

For just a bit more money I would go for the Historic Racing Miniatures kit, it has full detail.  The Scale Motorsport kit while nice is only a curbside.

Gordon Holsingers' build-up of the HRM kit.

Image result for HRM Shelby DaytonaImage result for HRM Shelby DaytonaImage result for HRM Shelby Daytona

Edited by afx

While the guys might be correct about the Shelby Coupe specifically, don't shy away from Scale Motorsport for other items. Their quality is top notch, and the owner, Matt Wells, is a builder himself. Their decals, especially their range of carbon fiber stuff, is excellent. Photoetch stuff is excellent as well. Quite some time ago I purchased their C5-R detail set and was very impressed. I would purchase from them with confidence.

Has anybody compared the HRM, SM, and the other kits of the Daytona Coupe?  I have the Gunze kit and know there are some flaws, but am curious if they all are supposed to represent the same car.  Everything I have read says the first car built by Shelby was very different than the others that followed. BRE went so far as to create a series of die casts that are supposed to be correct for each car. It would be interesting if that could be done with the larger kits

Ha, I stand corrected! Maybe I should have said "well replicated"?

I would like to get my hands on one of these kits to see what I could do with it.  It's not my favorite coupe but one, I think should be better represented in scale.  

I know HRM has one of these bodies, not sure when it will make it to the top of his very long "to do" lists.:)

Edited by afx

Hey Phil,     

Always good to see a Montana modeler,  I grew up on a ranch outside of Bozeman (born in Miles City):)

As to your question,  at one time I had 2 of Matt's  Daytona kits (Scale Motor Sports).  Very nice packaging and the parts looked really nice. As you can tell from the web site it is a curbside kit. I have since traded these as I wanted to do a full detail build with engine.

I have the Model Factory Hiro kit  and the HRM kit.

Side by side comparison  photos of the MFH  (cream colored resin)  and the HRM kit (white colored resin) of the bodies..

Both of these kits will build into beautiful full detail models.   The big difference for me is how thin  the HRM resin body pieces are compared to the MFH pieces.  In my opinion the HRM kit will look much better when the front clip is open to display the motor with its closer to scale thickness in the body parts. 

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three choices that are easily available,  those being the Scale Motor Sports,  Historic Racing Miniatures and the Model Factory Hiro.

You need to decide if you want curbside or full detail and figure out what price point you are comfortable with. 

SMS......$145.00

HRM......$185.00

MFH......$300.00

P.S.  In full disclose I sell the HRM kit:D 

Randy

Wow, you guys are good. Lots of great info and images. You have all given me food for thought and I am pretty sure I know where I will go with this project. All I have to do is figure out how to convince the little woman it is a smart and worthy investment.

Thanks for your time and input, car modelers are still the best.

phil

The SAAC Registry gives the Coupe's Dimensions (in inches) as:

Length: 151.5       Gunze-167 mm        SMS-175 mm

Width: 61              Gunze-70 mm          SMS-70 mm

Wheelbase: 90     Gunze-90mm           SMS-97 mm

1 mm is very close to 1 inch in 1/24 scale

Edited by afx

Thanks JC.  Interesting that both are too long and too wide and the wheelbase on the Gunze kit is too short. My HRM kit is on the way so it will be fun to compare it to my Gunze kit when it arrives.  Another case of build what looks right rather than have the dimensions be spot-on.

*checks calendar*  Hmmm..... 

edit: I will say this, when Academy announced their coupe, Ed Sexton was working for MRC, their US distributor.  I always got the impression he was the driving force behind that and once he left to go back to Revell it died.  So this doesn't surprise me at all IF this turns out to not be a prank!

Edited by Brett Barrow

17757333_1754941004520138_93674110834238

WHOA!! I didn't see that coming!!! I've GOT to get one of those Daytona coupes!! I've got HRM's kit as well, but I've been chicken to start on it as it's soooo nice! PLEASE REVELL!! DON'T BACK OUT ON THIS ONE!

I can only hope it's a full detail kit and NOT a curbside............We'll soon know!

OH!! I see the Ferrari 308GTB is on its way back! ALRIGHT!! B) B)

Thanks JC.  Interesting that both are too long and too wide and the wheelbase on the Gunze kit is too short. My HRM kit is on the way so it will be fun to compare it to my Gunze kit when it arrives.  Another case of build what looks right rather than have the dimensions be spot-on.

I'm that way too. I don't crazed about scale either as a poorly proportioned car is a big turn off despite all the dimensions being spot on. The car that Gunze modeled I think looks accurate from the car that it represents. All of them were different from each other in appearance and other things.

I really like that Revell announcement - everything on that page except the MASH items will find a place on my shelf. (Too bad they didn't make that Jeep in 24th). Could we be unbelievably lucky and an all-new 289 Cobra is following behind that Daytona Coupe???? (Hey Revell - all you need now is the new body)

Edited by djflyer

I really like that Revell announcement - everything on that page except the MASH items will find a place on my shelf. 

Interesting enough, I've got one of those MASH helicopters in my stash. I've never built it because the bubble canopy is sooooo distorted, it takes away from what I think is a major styling element of those Bell 47 'copters. I even have a gas powered one hanging from the ceiling behind me in my avatar pic. :D