Model Cars Magazine Forum

66 Lincoln Convertible

Eric Macleod

One other thing I will add is this was by far my most difficult model to foil ever. As you can see it is a long way from perfect but I consider it a major accomplishment along the path of learning this skill. I have a few more Lincoln Convertibles of the '60's to do and will hopefully improve as I go. Plus, on the very same model I tried using a new dual action air brush. That was a learning experience. So...this is, at best, an imperfect model, but a great source of learning for me.

Eric

Thanks for all the positive comments everyone.  This was a true labor of love. There is another one in the works being build by Ron Hamilton.  He has a lot more ability than i I have come I'll look forward to seeing what it looks like. I appreciate everyone checking this out. 

Eric Macleod 

That is a Tonneau windshield which is an after market accessory that was made by the American Arrow Corp. When raised it really reduced the amount of wind in the car. It also added a bit of class for parades and weddings.  As to the yellow, oddly enough I've owned three Lincoln convertibles painted yellow over the years. Thanks for the comment. 

Eric,

I like the build in the color combination you chose. Bare Metal can be a killer, as it has at times given me fits, and this car has more trim on it than meets the eye. I have cut the roof from the sedan, and my next step is the flipper panel. Once I get that done, I'll snap a few pictures and start a thread on this one. I may even attempt an up top, since I was able to salvage the roof, and the shapes are similar between the two. I used the brochure, which had several pictures of the car. There was an Aqua and a Dark Ivy Green convertible in the brochure. Both are very nice, but I am leaning towards Triple Black, which I think will be stunning, and besides, I have the paint. I still have to get back to the '64 sedan too.  It is ready for primer.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

Your build turned out nice.  BMF work is always a challenge. And with some models even more than others. But the best way to get better at doing it is by just diving in and doing it. I've tried many different ways of working with it over the years, and there are times it still gives me fits. My tools for working with it, is a exacto knife with a brand new unused blade, and a hand full of q-tips and a hand full of tooth-picks. I cut more foil than I need, (yes you will waste some) and apply it, then I press it down with a q-tip, then I trace every inch of it with a tooth pick and then, using just the weight of the exacto knife (no physical pressure at all) I do just what I did with the tooth pic, basically just allow the knife blade to gently trace the edges of the areas being trimmed. then again gently use a tooth pick to trace the edges and help peel away the excesses. There are still times where the areas being covered in BMF will be so obscure from paint build up that the knife blade with want to jump off track on you. That's where patience comes into play. Don't be in a hurry with the BMF work. Take your time and take lots of brakes, it will pay off in the end. Also in case you haven't figured it out yet, remember that the first 1/4 inch edges all the way around of the BMF sheet doesn't have very much if any sticky backing and isn't really usable. Hope I am not out of line offering you some tips on using BMF.  Just trying to help.

Nice model but I know what you mean about BMF. It is a skill. You need a polished glossy surface for it to stick well and give a smooth look, it's thinner than a layer of paint. And you need a fresh, sharp blade and a steady hand. There's a new product you might want to try but you still need to be a skillful modeler to apply. It's called Molotow Liquid Chrome. Just google it. Actually you should be able to find it on YouTube as there are a few videos on it.

Ron, I will look forward to following your thread. You have probably figured out by now that some scratch building will be needed for the flipper panel and area behind the back seat. 

Jim and Mike, the advice about the Bare Metal foil is greatly appreciated.  I'm trying to improve my basic skills as a means of becoming a better modeler. That will no doubt make for more satisfying models. Your help us greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking guys.

Eric