Model Cars Magazine Forum

My first model in 50 years

dlh

Thanks for all of the positive comments.  Gives me confidence and some new ideas for improvement.

The last model I built was when I was 12-14 years old.  My brother and I built glue bombs.  Quite literally, some we would load up with model glue and light on fire. (kids, models, model glue, and fire - it doesn't get any better)

We would build models at one sitting in several hours, never painted any; not sure there were model sprays back then.  It would deplete my allowance just buying one model each week.

I remember building this one.  It was all I could do to get the folding roof to work.

Dave

revell-1959fordskyliner1.jpg

That doesn't look too bad at all! Is that box-stock finish on the wheels? If so, I'd flatcoat the spokes, or paint them a matte silver or steel color. But they don't look horrible now.

I didn't like the wheels in this kit.  That spoked wheel wasn't the one in 1977,  It was the one pictured.  The kit called for silver on the wheels and I just did that.  I might try a matte silver or maybe a wash?  I have another unbuilt kit.  So someday I might revisit this.  I bet someone makes a photo etched wheel that looks like the one pictured.

Thanks for the ideas.

Dave

$_57.jpg

If that's your first in fifty I'd say you'd be telling stories and you've secretly been building over the years!! Lol..... especially to have it turn out that nice!!!!!!! That looks awesome and is a great build!!!!! Love it!!!!!!!!

If that's your first in fifty I'd say you'd be telling stories and you've secretly been building over the years!! Lol..... especially to have it turn out that nice!!!!!!! That looks awesome and is a great build!!!!! Love it!!!!!!!!

Nope, that's the truth.  My fingers were busy modifying mechanical stuff of RC cars and RC helis, but not model building.  I just read a lot here and tried techniques as I went along.  There's enough in this forum to do it if you read and are obsessive  ;-)

Dave

Nope, that's the truth.  My fingers were busy modifying mechanical stuff of RC cars and RC helis, but not model building.  I just read a lot here and tried techniques as I went along.  There's enough in this forum to do it if you read and are obsessive  ;-)

Dave

lol, was just giving ya a hard time. If I took a fifty year reprieve I might not come back as my stuff wouldn't look that good!!!!!

lol, was just giving ya a hard time. If I took a fifty year reprieve I might not come back as my stuff wouldn't look that good!!!!!

Oh I know, of course.  I love working on tiny stuff, especially if it's tiny and shiny.  Probably should have been born a racoon.