Model Cars Magazine Forum

Herbie The Love Bug

crowe-t

When I opened this kit I realized it's not such a bad model.  In fact it's more like a glue kit than a snap kit.  It has opening hoods and an engine which a lot of snap kits don't have.  It does have a few things that I wanted to fix.  

32899631574_fca844feab_b.jpgIMG_8254 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

The door hinges are too large.  They are about twice as wide as they should be.  

32899631204_e3876fa36e_b.jpgIMG_8257 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

A friend who has a 1:1 Beetle and also a Tamiya 1/24 Beetle measured the hinges for me.  They come out to approximately 1mm wide in 1/24 scale.  I removed the kit's door hinges and replaced them with some 1mm half round on top of 1m x .75 mm strips.  I also filled in the holes on the roof that the rag top snaps into.  I did leave the 2 round holes in the center of the roof for the rag tops guide pins.

32899630944_fe70da5922_b.jpgIMG_8276 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

The next thing that I wanted to modify is the brake lights.  They are way to wide out of box.  In this kit the rear engine cover(hood) is for a 1964 or later year Beetle.  The license plate light cover is the wide type.  Herbie is a 1963 which the body of this kit represents well except for the engine cover.  

32899631074_09a139a8b3_b.jpgIMG_8261 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

32899631164_1e86bcdd7b_b.jpgIMG_8258 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

I cut the brake light housings in half with a razor saw and filed then down a bit.  I glued them back together and re-drilled the lens mount holes.  .4mm round rods were used around the edge.  I removed the license plate light cover and added some detailing with .010" styrene.  I glued 2 pieces of 2.5mm quarter round rods together since I didn't have half round in this size on hand and shaped it for the license plate light cover.  The light cover also has .4mm rod around the edge.  

32899630784_5ae59cedfb_b.jpgIMG_8292 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

I removed the storage bag from the passenger door panel and added an arm rest.  The arm rest is the license plate light cover that I removed with some strip styrene around the perimeter as the chrome strip.  I looked at screen shots from The Love Bug as well as pictures of 1963 VW Beetles and most seem to only have the storage bag on the driver door panel and an arm rest on the passenger door panel.  This kit has the storage bags on both door panels and no arm rest.

32899631424_fc65a8da85_b.jpgIMG_8298 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

I scratch built a roll bar using screen shots as reference.  As soon as Herbie appears with his stripes and numbers he has a roll bar.  For some reason there is a space between the door panels and the kick panels so I added 1mm styrene strips to fill it in.  

32899630754_144d6eb9db_b.jpgIMG_8293 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

32899630684_32413c2f62_b.jpgIMG_8296 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

In the movie Herbie has a radio and doesn't have the square gauge to the right of the speedometer.  I removed that gauge and added some details to represent the radio.

32899630934_9e4f334036_b.jpgIMG_8280 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

IMG_8296 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

33586076472_b2d564e1ab_b.jpgIMG_8310 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

The steering wheel doesn't have the horn loop.  I have a spare wheel from a Polar Lights Ecto 1 that had the horn loop so I cut it to fit the VW wheel.

32899631444_a16e0a058e_b.jpgIMG_8284 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

All the kit's wheels require the chrome hub caps to be installed to complete them.  A Beetle's spare tire in the trunk wouldn't have a hub cap.  I drilled out the center of the wheel and added 5 pieced of 2mm half round which I drilled out to represent where the studs go.  

33613374271_5057682b5a_b.jpgIMG_8314 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

I wasn't crazy about the molded in windshield wipers.  Surprisingly the picture of the model on the box doesn't have these.

32899631484_e7dc3c3dec_b.jpgIMG_8273 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

I removed the 'wipers' and added some 2mm half round rod for mounts for new wipers.  I also added the raised round piece where the VW emblem would go on the hood.  Herbie didn't have any VW emblems in The Love Bug so I won't have to worry about finding one.  

32899630574_03f173522a_b.jpgIMG_8315 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

Here are windshield wipers I scratch built. They aren't perfect but should get the job done. 

33586076542_f2b4da6afa_b.jpgIMG_8304 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

I'm prepping it all now for paint and should have an update in a few days.

Thanks for looking in.

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

This is actually a great kit.  It was one of the last kits that was produced by Polar Lights / Playing Mantis before they sold the whole shebang to Tomy.  The concept was to design a kit that advanced modelers could build and detail, as well as one that could be built quickly by a novice.  Tom Lowe is a big movie and TV memorabilia fan, so this kit was aimed at that hobby, which is actually much larger than our hobby.  A fan of the Love Bug would be able to pull this from the box and snap together a pleasing shelf model. It was molded in enough colors to achieve that too.  I gave my first one to my 13 year old nephew and within an hour he was happy with his results.   This concept was a winner, it's just a shame that they didn't get a chance to develop this kit concept further.

The kit also represents the only time that the soft top was produced in a 1/24 or 1/25 scale Beetle. As you mentioned, it's important to fill in those rectangular snap holes in the roof because they are visible on the finished model. At the time of kit development, a second release of this kit was planned to be a California Bug.  Because of the sale of the company that never got released.  Many years later, once Tom Lowe, now trading as Round Two, bought the company back,  this kit was released as the Spyder Man car.  Again tapping that TV and movie memorabilia market.  This release doesn't include the soft top, and requires some clean up of the roof where those holes were poorly filled.  The kit does have some dynamite Cal Beetle style accessories and is well worth buying a copy just for those additions.

Our own Art Anderson was involved in the original production of this kit and can no doubt add to my comments.  I'm not sure about the kit discrepencies that you mention but I have no reason to doubt your observations.  I don't know what car they used for research, but there were many Herbies used in the movie series. No doubt details vary on all those.

Here's a few shots of a finished model that I own.  I didn't build it, but thought it was cool enough to purchase for my shelf.

DSC00234.JPG

This model was built by the late Mike Havranek, a New Jersey modeler.  It was bought from his estate.

DSC00236.JPG

Note that you can see those soft top tabs in each and every view!  Best to fill these in as you suggested.

DSC00238.JPG

And your observation about the hinge size is correct.  The tail lights do appear too large for the early car, but are pleasing on this model.

Many modelers would be pleased to spend a weekend on this kit and come out with these results!

<snip>  Tom Lowe is a big movie and TV memorabilia fan, so this kit was aimed at that hobby, which is actually much larger than our hobby.

This is why I have wondered before about our hobby over the last 15 years or so, why are there not more ties in to relevant automotive shows/movies? In years past, when model building was much larger hobby, there were more tie-ins to the 1:1 show/hot rod world, or TV shows/Movies etc. Did that connection to something help grow our hobby?   Now, they do come out once in a while, like the Fast and Furious franchise, or even WAYyyyy after the fact, like Starsky and hutch or Laurel and Hardy or Three Stooges tie in. I know we have the Foose series, but I think there are just missed opportunities in this realm. I would imagine that more than anything else, it comes down to money, and licensing. We can barely even get tires that have a company logo on them for that reason. Too bad. 

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark

Thanks everyone for the nice words!

Tom -  The blue beetle you posted does look real nice.  I had seen it posted in another thread here a while ago.  This kit does very nicely represent a 1963 Beetle with the exception of the engine cover which has the later style, wider, license plate light cover.  Maybe one of the cars they used for research had a later year engine cover so they assumed it was correct for 1963. 

This kit is very different from others in that it has most of the details of a glue kit but is also engineered as a snap kit with parts molded in color for easy assembly.  I'm impressed that it has chrome door handles which a lot of glue kits don't even have.  

The rectangular snap holes on the roof are too noticeable on the finished model but it's a good thing that there are guide holes/pins so the top can still be correctly located with the snap parts removed.

Dominik - I'm just going to glue the soft top onto the roof after it's painted.  I won't be opening the roof.

BTW, I'll be using Gravity Colors Herbie Off White paint for the body.  I spoke to Mate(who runs Gravity Colors in the US) and he confirmed it's matched to VW L87 Pearl White, which is actually a solid color and NOT a pearl.  Herbie was painted this color.

32899631344_fb8b2f3971_b.jpgIMG_8309 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

Edited by crowe-t

This is just a small update.  I painted the Pearl White color on the body and the various parts today.  I also sprayed Future on the rag top for the stripe decal.  I'll apply the decals tomorrow and take pictures.  The interior is also painted but I haven't taken any pictures yet.  I'll post more pictures soon.  

Mike.

IMG_8322 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

IMG_8321 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

IMG_8327 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

Thanks guys!

I applied the decals on the body.  Most of the stripe on the roof will be covered by the rag top but it helped to line up the front and rear by applying it as one decal.  I'll try and spray the clear on tomorrow.

33900588406_ceed5a9c0d_b.jpgIMG_8329 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

33900588326_5e6bcac79f_b.jpgIMG_8330 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

33900588396_d30dee9d9e_b.jpgIMG_8331 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

33900588296_6f13041aa6_b.jpgIMG_8333 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

Edited by crowe-t

Thanks Fabrizio!

Today I made some floor mats for the interior.  I was originally going to just have the floor carpeted but in the movie Herbie had floor mats and I looked at pictures of VW's and most have floor mats.  I made these with Evergreen V-Groove Sheet(.64mm spacing/.5mm thick) I had.  They are simple but once glued in and painted and the car is together they should look OK.   

33926630656_617e77578c_b.jpgIMG_8338 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

33582781290_808b5af659_b.jpgIMG_8344 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

Edited by crowe-t

This is why I have wondered before about our hobby over the last 15 years or so, why are there not more ties in to relevant automotive shows/movies? In years past, when model building was much larger hobby, there were more tie-ins to the 1:1 show/hot rod world, or TV shows/Movies etc. Did that connection to something help grow our hobby?   Now, they do come out once in a while, like the Fast and Furious franchise, or even WAYyyyy after the fact, like Starsky and hutch or Laurel and Hardy or Three Stooges tie in. I know we have the Foose series, but I think there are just missed opportunities in this realm. I would imagine that more than anything else, it comes down to money, and licensing. We can barely even get tires that have a company logo on them for that reason. Too bad. 

Pretty much, the problem with TV and Movie cars as model kits has been that they tend to be "one-hit wonders".   In the case of the Love Bug plastic kit in this thread--it was actually developed by Dave Metzner, who was the Polar Lights manager for Playing Mantis.   I had but just a little bit of involvement in the PL kit--I was in the Johnny Lightning product development part of Playing Mantis 2002 through 2004.  I only wish that Tom Lowe hadn't insisted on press-on printed stickers for the graphics on the plastic kit--decals would have looked SO MUCH BETTER!

Some interesting bits about "Herbie the Love Bog"--in the films, it's NEVER called anything but "Herbie" or "The Little Car"--to the point that there was NO VW identification on the car, anywhere--even the Wolsburg Crest medallion on the trunk lid was removed.  the Movie Herbie was actually bought new in 1962, by Walt Disney, as his daily driver to and from the studios--not many movie cars can claim that sort of heritage.

When we at Playing Mantis did the several "Herbie" models (the 1/24 scale plastic kit, and several versions of the 1/64 scale Johnny Lightning diecast, along with a 1/24 scale diecast as well--every one of those wound up being licensed through Disney Studios, who required their to be no VW badging on them.  When we went to do standard, stock versions of the Johnny Lightning diecasts---I fielded a lot of nasty communications from Volkswagen's people in Germany responsible for licensing--they had not been amused by Herbie (but they did relent after awhile)

Art

Your Floor Mats look perfect. Never thought of that but it looks very simple to do. I remember a style of mat that mainly VW guys were using years ago. The mat was kind of a woven affair with several different colors woven into the mats. It really did add to the look of the interior.  

When I opened this kit I realized it's not such a bad model.  In fact it's more like a glue kit than a snap kit.  It has opening hoods and an engine which a lot of snap kits don't have.  It does have a few things that I wanted to fix.  

32899631574_fca844feab_b.jpgIMG_8254 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

The door hinges are too large.  They are about twice as wide as they should be.  

32899631204_e3876fa36e_b.jpgIMG_8257 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

A friend who has a 1:1 Beetle and also a Tamiya 1/24 Beetle measured the hinges for me.  They come out to approximately 1mm wide in 1/24 scale.  I removed the kit's door hinges and replaced them with some 1mm half round on top of 1m x .75 mm strips.  I also filled in the holes on the roof that the rag top snaps into.  I did leave the 2 round holes in the center of the roof for the rag tops guide pins.

32899630944_fe70da5922_b.jpgIMG_8276 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

The next thing that I wanted to modify is the brake lights.  They are way to wide out of box.  In this kit the rear engine cover(hood) is for a 1964 or later year Beetle.  The license plate light cover is the wide type.  Herbie is a 1963 which the body of this kit represents well except for the engine cover.  

32899631074_09a139a8b3_b.jpgIMG_8261 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

32899631164_1e86bcdd7b_b.jpgIMG_8258 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

I cut the brake light housings in half with a razor saw and filed then down a bit.  I glued them back together and re-drilled the lens mount holes.  .4mm round rods were used around the edge.  I removed the license plate light cover and added some detailing with .010" styrene.  I glued 2 pieces of 2.5mm quarter round rods together since I didn't have half round in this size on hand and shaped it for the license plate light cover.  The light cover also has .4mm rod around the edge.  

32899630784_5ae59cedfb_b.jpgIMG_8292 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

I removed the storage bag from the passenger door panel and added an arm rest.  The arm rest is the license plate light cover that I removed with some strip styrene around the perimeter as the chrome strip.  I looked at screen shots from The Love Bug as well as pictures of 1963 VW Beetles and most seem to only have the storage bag on the driver door panel and an arm rest on the passenger door panel.  This kit has the storage bags on both door panels and no arm rest.

32899631424_fc65a8da85_b.jpgIMG_8298 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

I scratch built a roll bar using screen shots as reference.  As soon as Herbie appears with his stripes and numbers he has a roll bar.  For some reason there is a space between the door panels and the kick panels so I added 1mm styrene strips to fill it in.  

32899630754_144d6eb9db_b.jpgIMG_8293 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

32899630684_32413c2f62_b.jpgIMG_8296 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

In the movie Herbie has a radio and doesn't have the square gauge to the right of the speedometer.  I removed that gauge and added some details to represent the radio.

32899630934_9e4f334036_b.jpgIMG_8280 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

IMG_8296 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

33586076472_b2d564e1ab_b.jpgIMG_8310 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

The steering wheel doesn't have the horn loop.  I have a spare wheel from a Polar Lights Ecto 1 that had the horn loop so I cut it to fit the VW wheel.

32899631444_a16e0a058e_b.jpgIMG_8284 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

All the kit's wheels require the chrome hub caps to be installed to complete them.  A Beetle's spare tire in the trunk wouldn't have a hub cap.  I drilled out the center of the wheel and added 5 pieced of 2mm half round which I drilled out to represent where the studs go.  

33613374271_5057682b5a_b.jpgIMG_8314 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

I wasn't crazy about the molded in windshield wipers.  Surprisingly the picture of the model on the box doesn't have these.

32899631484_e7dc3c3dec_b.jpgIMG_8273 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

I removed the 'wipers' and added some 2mm half round rod for mounts for new wipers.  I also added the raised round piece where the VW emblem would go on the hood.  Herbie didn't have any VW emblems in The Love Bug so I won't have to worry about finding one.  

32899630574_03f173522a_b.jpgIMG_8315 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

Here are windshield wipers I scratch built. They aren't perfect but should get the job done. 

33586076542_f2b4da6afa_b.jpgIMG_8304 Small by Michael Scarola, on Flickr

I'm prepping it all now for paint and should have an update in a few days.

Thanks for looking in.

Mike.

Herbie had a reserve tank and no gas guage?

Thanks David!

Bob - A friend who owns a VW told me the square gauge is a fuel gauge.  I wasn't sure how the fuel was monitored.  Thanks for the information about the reserve tank.

Edited by crowe-t

Herbie being a '63, would've had a fuel gauge. However, several cars were used during filming. Most likely, the interior shots were done with an earlier car. 1961-earlier cars did not have a fuel gauge.

On another note, I love what you're doing with this kit. I'm looking forward to watching your progress.

I really like this model a lot and will need one for myown collection. Iave a comment about Ton Geigers assertion that this was the only 1/24-1/25 Beetle with a soft top. I once attempted to build a Pyro VW which I think was supposed to be 1/25 scale. It had the soft top in the open position. It was a terrible kit but historically neat.

. Iave a comment about Ton Geigers assertion that this was the only 1/24-1/25 Beetle with a soft top. I once attempted to build a Pyro VW which I think was supposed to be 1/25 scale.

The Pyro VW doesn't even count. It's more like 1/20 and pretty much a toy.  The original Revell Herbie had an open soft top, and that carried over to a few of the off road variations.  What I meant is that this is the only one with a proper closed soft top.  I've seen some pretty poor attempts at scratch building that top. And here it is in this kit.  One of these days I'm going to build this drag VW I remember from when I was a kid.  I need that soft top!

german1

Thanks guys for the nice words!

Greg - There were so many different year VW's used in the production which could also explain the fuel gauge not being on the dash board.  

I'm trying to match what was actually seen in the movie so I removed the fuel gauge.  I also painted the whole interior gray like it is seen in the movie.  A real VW's dash board and the other metal interior parts would have been painted the body color but I painted everything a medium gray(Testors Acryl Neutral Gray) to match the movie car(s).

I'll post more pictures in a day or so.  This week I'll also polish the clear coat.