Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stripping Paint From Resin Items...... What's Best and Safest To Use..???

Lately I've been having troubles getting the paint jobs I want on some resin cars, mostly due to my own stupid mistakes.

This question has probably been asked and answered before, but after searching the paint stripper threads I didn't find a good answer.  I've had a resin body from Jimmy Flintstone sitting in a tub of Purple Power for about 3 days and very little of the paint has come off.  I used Duplicolor paint and primer/sealer.  I don't want to use Scalecoat because it melted a resin Modelhaus body on me some time ago.  I need something that is reasonably fast and very safe for resin.  I also have bodies from M.A.D. and Modelhaus that need do-overs.  Thanks for your help guys.

Richard, 

I use Castrol Super Clean or just Super Clean now. I havent tried Purple Power but I've always had luck with SC. Just dont use IPA, as I'm sure you've read in the other posts. I've never had SC damage resin. I've used it on HRM, MFH, LMM, Studio27 and styrene as well. 

Good luck.

David

I've just used lacquer thinners on a rag and wiped the paint off resin in the past without issue.

I'd avoid Isopropyl alcohol though which is my usual go to paint remover for plastic. I had a resin part from Norm at  RM turn to rubber when I soaked a part in it.