Model Cars Magazine Forum

Harry - our friend's struggle

Cato

Word has just come that Harry is not doing well at all and has been readmitted to hospital.

He is in very poor spirits and state of mind. He has been given the choice of continuing treatment or entering hospice care. He is very tired of the struggle and now seems to want to give up. He has asked to speak to the Chaplin; he feels he cannot continue the fight much longer. I'm told that he struggles to be coherent. He's in much distress.

His three children are traveling there and will arrive tomorrow. His son is hoping he will hang on until they are all together.

We can only hope that our thoughts and his family's presence give him comfort. 

Both my late wife and my dad went into hospice care, and both enjoyed their last day's. My dad went through the cemotheropy and when he started to have new blood almost every day he decieded it was time to stop,enter the hospice center and enjoy the last remaining day's he had. Hospice nurse's are very kind and The patiants get treated like royalty!  it saddens all of us when someone has to pass away.

Very sad news to say the least. I've been prayin' for Harry everyday, however sometimes prayers are not enough. I've also heard of people entering hospice 4 or 5 times, but I suppose that doesn't happen too often. I hope that Harry will recognize his children and I'll be keepin' him in my thoughts & prayers.

I've been keeping Harry in my thoughts since I found out about this bad news. This is a real kick in the stomach. 

I remember a post Harry made with a video by Little Big Town - When I Die I Don't Want to be Sober. I hope someone honors that request. I'm toasting him with a big glass of Jack Daniels now. With all the Irish blessings Harry...Here's to you...

Thank you Cato for the update albeit as sad as it is.  It's apparent you and Harry have a true friendship and that is something special that you'll always have. My prayers & thoughts are for Harry and his family.

Harry has been a special guy to so many of us. Your generosity and expressions of good wishes has, I'm sure,  made him know he was a 'right guy'.

If miracles can happen, he's the guy we'd want that to happen for.

I would also like to thank Cato for his efforts during Harry's ordeal. You have gone above and beyond, and I personally thank you for that. 

You guys are kind but I'd like to thank Bill Engwer for his diligent efforts to raise money for Harry's Fund. I think it would please Harry that so many of us came together in his name.

Very hard to read this post and not be affected by it. I truly hope for the best for Harry and his family, whatever they decide. I wish there was some way to make the pain and suffering go away for him and let him return to his old self as he was a friend to so many of us here on the forum. I have said many prayers for Harry and his family and will continue to do so as they are needed more than ever.

The best we can do at this point is to continue to pray for the comfort of Harry and his family in these most difficult times.

I must admit, I was deeply saddened by this news this morning, I never knew Harry, until he asked me to contribute to the book "Styrene Stars", and with the communications we had, I got to know Harry quite well and respected him and his work, I was hoping that the news about him would be so much better than this .....

As Mike said above, it's very difficult to read all of this without tears in my eyes. I too am hoping Harry will pull through all of this, and I can relate to Hospice and all that they do. My Dad who will be gone four years September 1st, went through Hospice and he had told us years earlier (my sister, Stepmom and I) that he wanted no heroic efforts to keep him around.

I understood that although it was my sister that had a difficult time with him wanting to still smoke up to nearly a week before he passed. I made no issue of it as there was no point in getting upset any longer.

Miracles do happen-------I just hope there's at least one more for Harry.