Model Cars Magazine Forum

More American Graffiti Dragster Replica

This is my More American Graffiti replica dragster model I built. This is not the original model from 1979, it is a replica.   I turned a Jaw Breaker model into John Milners dragster. I cut, reshaped,  trimmed. and angled the body corners just like the real car. I made my own decals, lines, plug wires, and even detailed the parachute.  I made my own decals from a original scan of the decals I found online. I used from that set the red John Milner and blue tail piece. I printed them out using Testors paper, and made my own set of flames. I tried to make the flames as movie accurate in the shape and style. If the flames, didn't look right, neither does the model.  I gave the car a modern line, and cut it where it should be orange.  This was a replica body, Jaw Breaker model kit, and replica decals with many hours  of work.

This is my first  custom model I have ever built. This goes for building a driver that fits in the car.  This model looks like what  the fans should have always been sold in the first place.  I hope, I didn't disappoint any Graffiti fans  out there.
One more thing I will point out Jawbreaker's kit has many flaws, and needs a bunch of work. You have to sand, drill out areas, and the frame is constantly coming apart on you.  I put a rod into the motor, and used JB Weld in the transmission. This way it is well hidden but gives the motor extra support to stay in place. On the angled areas of the body, I used JB Water Weld to give them a nicer rounded look.   This build took me 3 months to do in the winter months for a model contest. Only thing that gets on my nerves is the flash made the colors look lighter than what they really are.   I even built the 2003 AMT American Graffiti/reissue of the More American Graffiti Deuce Coupe.  Still love how the builds look with the original box art. 

issueIMG_3979.thumb.JPG.eb4038890acbf36fa2bc1IMG_4173.thumb.JPG.8782e26b9ebfbbd2cbd67IMG_4188_-_Copy.thumb.JPG.189fbdc8cf7c45

IMG_4184.thumb.JPG.1951b14b036beb7bdf7e8IMG_4187.thumb.JPG.dc88fad5ee3c135d40ca5IMG_4189.thumb.JPG.9b217230dd304a052512c

I would save the search on Ebay as MPC John Milner Dragster and another one as MPC American Graffiti Dragster.  

I'd like to find the dragster myself. I'm sure they're on EBay quite often.... I have Milners Coupe to build someday.....

I have the original Coupe and the one I built was the re-issue 2003 coupe. On the Dragster this is how I have Ebay email me about them.  I used search on Ebay as MPC John Milner Dragster and another one as MPC American Graffiti Dragster.  I saved my searches so any new ones that pop up they email me about them.  Hope this helps you out.

I have the original Coupe and the one I built was the re-issue 2003 coupe. On the Dragster this is how I have Ebay email me about them.  I used search on Ebay as MPC John Milner Dragster and another one as MPC American Graffiti Dragster.  I saved my searches so any new ones that pop up they email me about them.  Hope this helps you out.

thanks for the info Art. I built the 2003 issue of the Milner Coupe although it is kind of close to the real deal. I should of reworkied the chassis to make it look right but the Coupe is just a display build for here at home.... I did get it built and am now working on the Milner rail... 

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/122426-milner-dragster/ 

thanks for the info Art. I built the 2003 issue of the Milner Coupe although it is kind of close to the real deal. I should of reworkied the chassis to make it look right but the Coupe is just a display build for here at home.... I did get it built and am now working on the Milner rail... 

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/122426-milner-dragster/ 

Here's my AG Coupe

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/122076-american-graffiti-deuce-coupe/