Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Javelin & Other AMC Muscle Cars

The AMC 1:1 car muscle cars were grossly underestimated and undervalued in their time. There were several guys that raced them locally. Thanks to AMC`s "You are driving your granddaddies car” persona they surprised a substantial number of the Mopar, Chevy and Ford crowd around town. Not only did they whip a lot of butts they took a LOT of cash out of the pockets of unsuspecting and overconfident competitors.  LOL Of the group there was a guy named mike that drove a stripped down bearly street legal `69 Rambler S/C Scrambler.  With its compact light body and big block powerplant, that car was more than fast...it was downright FRIGHTENING and SCARRY QUICK!

I know this to be true because I was one of two dozen or more local AMC drivers back in the day. I street raced a 390 SST Javelin equipped with the "Go-package" option. The factory-approved "Group 19" dealer-installed performance accessories included among others, dual four-barrel cross-ram intake manifolds, high-performance camshaft kits, needle-bearing roller rocker arms, and dual-point ignition and a few additional over the counter aftermarket go fast goodies. Even racing driver Gordon Johncock said the Javelin had "A nice, all-around blend of features", that it "stacks up as a roomy, comfortable, quick and handsome example of a so-called "pony car" and that after his road test he "wanted to take it home.

I truly desire to replicate my beloved Javelin. The 1971 Hornet S/C is another AMC model that, has been neglected by the 1:25 scale model companies. In fact, I do believe Jo-Han only offered it as a funny car kit with NO STOCK build option, unfortunately. :-(

In the past 43 years why hasn’t any mainstream model or resin caster taken on these AMC cars in 1/25 scale since Jo-Han original offering in 1967-1974.  Does Jo-Han have a "for a from here to eternity" copyright lock on this subject matter?  I am certain that I`m not the only modeler out there that would relish the opportunity to build several of the AMC muscle cars. 

Edited by 69NovaYenko

Each time that any new AMC kit wish list is mentioned here on the board, the 1968-70 Javelin/AMX's are at the top of the heap. A lot of us are hoping that in time Moebius will see fit to kit at least the '68-'70 Javelins. The AMX's even though done by Jo-Han, are easier to find especially the '69, although they can be a bit expensive for a pristine kit. The '70's another story as they are VERY hard to get and when they do show up, GET OUT YOUR WALLET!

I can relate to the sheer potency of those AMC's..........I once owned a '69 AMX 390 with a four speed and a 3:54 axle. This was an original ZERO options car, and believe it or not, came with VACUUM WIPERS of all things! :o

Mine wasn't a Group 19 car, but I've wondered from time to time in the years since I let it go, if in fact it may have been at one time.

It could whip the pants off many a muscle car that was still roaming the roads back in the late '80's and even run wheel to wheel with big block Corvettes that I'd come across every once and a while. Yeah, they're still greatly underrated, and very nice and clean 1:1 AMX's can be had for less the $20K still. 

EDIT: I wanted to add that what you mentioned about the SC Rambler is dead on right! We had a guy in our local AMC club here years ago that had a '69 SC. I tell you what------that thing was a super terror on the road and strip, and could even outrun the fastest of AMX's! They were a bit lighter in comparison and coupled with that 390, were a real handful on the road! They could surprise (and humiliate) many an unsuspecting driver who thought he had a "fast" car! :D

Edited by MrObsessive

Ohhh...how could I ever forget the vacuum wipers. The lower the r.p.m. the slower they operated...which was not a good thing in a heavy downpour. If I cold get my hands on another Javelin now I would have to change that wiper motor over to an electrical one!!!

My sister`s brother-In-law owned a `68 AMX after he got read of his 67 GTO; he was the one who turned me on to AMC cars. He was such an advote AMC enthusiust that the guys on the street nickednamed him "Captain America!" Lol

Edited by 69NovaYenko

Yeah, I thought those things went by way of the Dodo bird in the '50's! :D

BTW, my car had NO power options! No power steering or brakes, drums on all fours, and a somewhat spartan interior. I wish I could have kept it, but back in '92, I was due to be stationed down in Ft. Jackson S.C. and couldn't take the car with me. I never saw it again after I sold it to a guy in upstate PA.

Heaven knows if the car still exists.......I've been wanting to track it down someday as I still know the VIN number on it, also the number of the dash plaque that all of them had. It would be hard though since the car was made before '81.

No arm twisting here......I have owned about 6 AMC's but down to two now. And having owned Mustangs and Camaros I have a good amount of insight into who was best. The Camaro is gone....still have my 66 Mustang....do the math. My 1973 Javelin is a two owner car....I'm the 2nd. If it was a Camaro, Mustang or Cuda it would be worth MUCH more than what my insurance policy says it's worth. It has some cool options and a 'perforated vinyl' interior that is original and hard to find after 44 years 100% intact.

So AMC kits are high on my list of wants. Here's hoping!!

JAVELINR2.JPG

JAVELINR1.JPG

Edited by Dave Van

Missing Link resin did a Hornet SC360 a few years back. I have one, and it's dead on the money. It does not include the drive train, but the suggested one is the S/C Rambler. I think a more accurate engine can be found in an AMT Gremlin or Matador, which I have.

No it's not for sale.

I grew up just around the corner from Ricker Motors Nash-Rambler-AMC in west Whittier , Ca.    Ricker was recognised as one of the high-performance AMC dealerships (especially after Bill Kraft closed ; they were in Norwalk , just off of the 101 Santa Ana Freeway) .

Shirley Shahan's 1969 Hurst / AMX ended up back at Ricker at the end of 1970 ; I remember seeing it around Ricker's back lot in the early-mid 70's when I was quite young ! Its Lexan door glass was shattered --- as all that one had to do was sneeze within the proximity of that stuff and it would shatter !

I'd seen a few Trans Am Javelins around , in addition to another Hurst / AMX ( at least it was painted like a Hurst S/S model ... and it sounded mean ! ) .

BTW : Los Angeles Police Dept's Rampart Division had a 1972 Matador until 1986 ! Those cars had staying power , offering superior performance over its peers ; handling and power were unbeatable !

So , yes , I would love to see more AMC kits !

Missing Link resin did a Hornet SC360 a few years back. I have one, and it's dead on the money. It does not include the drive train, but the suggested one is the S/C Rambler. I think a more accurate engine can be found in an AMT Gremlin or Matador, which I have.

No it's not for sale.

I have both the Hornet 360 and '70 AMX from Missing Link Resin.

(also not for sale)

John

I make no bones about it. I have always liked AMC cars, and I have several in the collection, as well as three under construction. A '65 American hardtop turned into a convertible. a'66 American Convertible, and a '66 American Hardtop. All three are resurrected glue-bombs.

When I got it, the convertible looked like this.

1966RamblerAmerican2.jpg.

The hardtop was almost as bad. It has taken a lot of work, but the convertible has been fixed up, and is in primer

DSCF3439_zpse6d7bfce.jpg

and the hardtop is ready to be put in primer. I was able to save the trim and emblems on both. I may paint them both the same color, and they will both have 6 Cylinder engines.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

I too am an AMC nut and would love to see more AMC's released in scale. I've had Concord wagons, Spirits, Hornets.....  i currently have a 77 Hornet AMX 2 door hatch that needs some attention!!!  I'd LOVE to see some new Hornet kits brought out!!!!!!!!!!!

In the past 43 years why hasn’t any mainstream model or resin caster taken on these AMC cars in 1/25 scale since Jo-Han original offering in 1967-1974.  Does Jo-Han a for a from here to eternity copyright lock on this subject matter? 

Jo-Han's a dead issue. Chrysler owns the copyright to all the AMC brands; the model companies (or really Moebius - AMT is 99% reissues and Revellogram wouldn't bother with anything vintage they couldn't sell as a lowrider) would be dealing with them directly.

I had a Union 76 station years ago in the San Bernardino mountains in Southern California. One of my customers would always get a new car every year. they were always nice mid sized cars and he was very particular about their care and maintains so we got along just fine. He would always leave his car with me for the day to service and tune as I saw fit. One year he showed up with a Rambler American, about 1969 I think. He told me it was somewhat unusual. He wasn't kidding. The car was a pretty shade of light green with a dark green painted roof two door hardtop. Very nice comfortable dark green interior with all the nice appointments. The surprise was under the hood. It had the 290 cu. in. v-8 with a 4-speed, Now at that time everyone including myself didn't think much about anything from AMC. I had to go pick him up in the evening at his office. Everything is narrow winding mountain roads. I was driving a '68 Bel Air 427 with a 4-speed. F41 Suspension and power Disc Brakes, Disc Brakes were somewhat new at the time. I gained a whole new respect for that little Rambler. I wasn't really pushing it since it wasn't my car. I would wager that I'd of played hell keeping up with him on those roads.  

I make no bones about it. I have always liked AMC cars, and I have several in the collection, as well as three under construction. A '65 American hardtop turned into a convertible. a'66 American Convertible, and a '66 American Hardtop. All three are resurrected glue-bombs.

When I got it, the convertible looked like this.

1966RamblerAmerican2.jpg.

The hardtop was almost as bad. It has taken a lot of work, but the convertible has been fixed up, and is in primer

and the hardtop is ready to be put in primer. I was able to save the trim and emblems on both. I may paint them both the same color, and they will both have 6 Cylinder engines.

Ron, do you still have the cut-off hardtop? I have an otherwise nice '66 body that someone chopped the top off of, and then chopped the windshield. As I don't care much about convertibles, it might be fun to try to restore it back to a hardtop. (The cutoff top didn't come in the deal.)

I would love more AMC muscle but I think their is enough interest in them. Like what was said before. Missing Link did the Hornet SC 360 and 70 AMX. I have one Hornet and two AMX. Devon resin did a 70 Javlin and so did Jimmy Flinstone. I have all the Johan Javelins and AMXs in my stash. I had even cast up my own 69 Javlin kit in Resin. I had close to 100 people who were serious about buying one but only 20 who actually did.

Plus Fiat owns the copyrights to the AMC lines and may not be interested in licencing.

I know someone that has a Flintstone '70 Javelin that they picked up several years ago. The one they have is cast in a very..very thick, very..very dense, very..very heavy resin.  I'm not bashing the Flintstone piece  but stating the quality of the body I saw.  It certainly was not a crisp clean thin casting that you would get from other resin casters i.e. Missing Link/Modelhause etc or manufactures like Möbius, Revell but; I guess it's better than having nothing. 

Again I'm not bashing anyone or their products....I'm just saying?

Thought it was the same as the Scrambler kit......

The SC/Rambler is still basically a detrimmed '66, with the V8 engine (annual kits had a straight six).  Grille, taillights, instrument panel, and upholstery patterns are all unchanged from the '66 (the last annual kits).  Rear suspension looks to be a copy of the setup in the Sox & Martin Barracuda (the Rambler did not come with a Dana "60" rear axle!).  Hank Borger kitbashed an original '66 hardtop into an S/C in the old CAR MODEL Magazine.  Apparently he had John Haenle's ear over at Jo-Han, and talked him into updating the kit in the early Seventies.  He should have talked Jo-Han into issuing their Hornet kit as an SC/360 instead of doing those funny cars every year.  Nobody ever ran a Hornet body on a funny that I know of, even though the '73 hatchback would have made a slick looking one... 

I had heard that at least one of the model companies was at one point looking at late 1960's AMC product among possible subjects for future kit series.    

This was quite some time ago but then again these projects do typically take years to materialize... don't know what the current status is....or even if it is still on the consideration list.  

But at least there did seem to be some consideration of the business proposition at that time. 

So bottom line, always good to make your kit preferences known....

TIM

PS - personally the ''71 Javelin AMX with a (truly accurate) 401 Ram Air would be at the top of my want list.  But as a business consideration it would probably be well down the list due to all the reissued JoHan '71-'74 (mostly '73-'74) kits out there in eBay-ville and other locations.

Edited by tim boyd

If (big if) one of the kit manufacturers were to take a gamble on anything AMC, my money would be on either the first-generation Javelin, two-seater AMX, or (most likely) both sharing as many parts as possible.

That said, if you still want anything Jo-Han, better get going and try to get it if you can afford to do so.  People seem to be coming to a consensus that they're not coming back.  I've recently seen kits that were in production at the very end (S/C Rambler, drag version '69 AMX) selling in the mid-thirties.  For a long time these were pretty easy to get...I don't think that's going to be the case anymore.