Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another Revell chopper - rake and extended springer

gowjobs

I bought the Crusader this afternoon and immediately started kitbashing with AMT's old MPC Shaker Trike with what I feel are favorable results.

chopper02.jpg

To increase the rake, I shortened the top tube of the frame approx 1/8" ahead of the motor mount, requiring the short tank to be utilized, though I moved it back until it nearly will touch the front of the seat. The back of that seat will rest right up against the severely bobbed rear fender.

chopper03.jpg

I'm not sure yet, but I may go ahead and scratchbuild a new tank. This has taken on such a "Choppers, Inc." look that I may try a Billy Lane trademark angular tank as well.

chopper01.jpg

Motor is close, but doesn't touch, and the pipes clear. I like my choppers and hotrods tightly packaged, so the closer everything fits together, the happier I am. I'm really tempted to scratch-build an old-school kick-start (with the spiral spring visible and all) and ditch the starter and battery altogether for a little more hardcore feeling.

Nice job

With regard to the Billy lane tank does that mean you are going to bend plastic over your knee like Billy bends steel over his knee, I couldn't believe how he builds the tanks for his bikes, he is a true hands on craftsman or should that be Knees on craftsman

Actually it was a Ron Covell tank! He happens to be one of the best known metal fabricators alive. I guess everyone has a bad day.....

And as for the model's tank, I think maybe slide it forward a bit. Too much frame showing between the yoke & edge of tank. Otherwise your bike looks great. I just bought both of these kits and I can't wait to build one. Imagine if the aftermarket pops out a few resin & metal pieces for these? Wow......

• 9 years later...
  • 3 months later...