Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC Fuzz Buster Volare - lets kick it around

Jantrix

I just picked up this kit after a friend posted up his build on FB and I really liked it. I've read Adam Rehorns review of this kit and his thread got way off track, with almost no one chiming in on the actual kit.

But this is too unusual a kit, not to talk about. I'd like to hear from anyone who's been messing with this kit. The kit has some obvious flaws and lets kick around some options.

First thing that jumps out at me, that is lacking, is that undersized engine that is mistakenly referred to as a 6 cylinder on the side of the box. I have a 340 tri-power that I was kicking around. also a 426 or 440.

Second is that terrible chassis? Anyone tried the AMT Duster chassis under it? Or maybe the AMT '70 Challenger? 

Also I'ts kind of a shame we didn't get all the decals needed to do a '80 Road Runner.

If you have a completed build up or a WIP, post up some pics and lets chat about it.

Edited by Jantrix

Yup, it's a kit that shows it's 1970s promo heritage.  The Volare started a new chassis with a different style torsion bar suspension, so any older Mopar chassis would stand out as wrong under it.  I did some work on the chassis on my 1977, which is the exact same piece.  First, it does have a separate rear end which can be detail painted to look okay. Cut the driveshaft out of there and fill in the void. Use a separate driveshaft from any kit.

IMG 1754

The major sin is in the front end detail.  You can see the torsion bars snaking in front of the engine, the old cars had them running front to back.  On this one I had played with adding a front end under it, but finally just decided to finish it.

IMG 1703

The kit has no detail in front of the firewall.  The body color part on top I believe I stole from a Duster kit.  The rest I cut out of sheet plastic. This detail was needed for my car since it doesn't have a grille.

engine shot1

The engine compartment is missing the two tension bars on the sides. Easily added with a bit of rod.  The kit also has no detail on top of the firewall. It's just blank. See the ventilation here. I saw something close on a kit, cannot remember which one!  I just cared it out and added some incorrect mesh to break it up.

The interior has no pedals.  I stole the pair from the AMT Duster.

I've been playing around with this kit for a couple months, off and on.

The very first thing I did was eliminate the molded-in T roof and then spent a little time adding some better detail around the quarter window/ drip rail area.

I scribed below the taillights where the flexible ruber filler pieces go, and down the edges of the lower quarters the way they are in real life. Scribed some panel lines on the front fenders to replicate the fender extensions, and did the flexible filler pieces there as well. 

Sanded away some of the too-high body contour on the sides and scribed in a fuel filler cap, instead of the goody glue-on one in the kit. Also deepened the existing panel lines and sharpened up the rocker molding.

Painted with Testor's red enamel, it's ready for polishing.

I've done away with the kit's rear end and used a 8.34 rear from  my home-cast collection. Ditto with the driveshaft.

Thought about trying something with the front suspension... and decided it would work as-is. 

The kit's V8 is tiny. I'm going with a Duster engine and trans from  my home-cast pile, along with some slimmed down headers from the '67 Hemi Charger. Need to still scratch- build some engine mounts.

The molded-in headlights will be replaced with some clear ones, as soon as I get around to making a mold. 

The pad printed tires are ok, so I'm using some of Fireball's cop car wheels for that tough look... ;) One of his Holley carbs is going to sit on the 360 engine as well, topped with a copy of the dual snorkel breather from the '71 Charger.

volare 3.jpg

volare 4.jpg

I remember these cars from when they were new --- the "bottlecap"  fuel cap is correct . Last time I saw one ? 1992 ! A customer's ( I worked at a Full-Serve fuel station ) 1980 Aspen had that thing on it .

Oddly -- or not -- the 1979 Road Runner and Aspen R/T had the hottest 360 offering : 195 hp ( E58 code )  with an "almost" true dual exhaust ( 2-into-1-into-2 ; a concession to the offset fuel tank ) . By the following year , the cough-and-wheeze 318 was the top offering ( with a tree-pulling 120 hp four barrel ! ) , as the 360 was relegated to 4 door sedan models ( and would completely disappear in passenger car applications the following year : 1981 ).

Another 1980-only offering ? A colour-keyed Tuff-Grip steering wheel . Previous years' version ( 1971-1979 ) were all black rim .

Go look on the web. Look at the sales brochure. My factory salesman's feature book mentions it. The "goofy" gas cap in the kit is the correct one. Like it or not.

Scott

Allllllllrighty then.....

How about "I didn't like the look of the gas cap - thought it looked goofy - so I changed it over to an earlier style.

Better?

Geez... it's only a model kit...

Allllllllrighty then.....

How about "I didn't like the look of the gas cap - thought it looked goofy - so I changed it over to an earlier style.

Better?

Geez... it's only a model kit...

I have no problem with that. Just want to may sure others know what is "factory correct." But, as far as building the way you like it. I say go for it.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

I have no problem with that. Just want to may sure others know what is "factory correct." But, as far as building the way you like it. I say go for it.

Scott

My sentiment precisely : not bustin' anyone's chops here ; just asserting that the cap is correct .

That survivor 1980 Road Runner ( link provided by Brett ... thank you , Brett ! ) is amazing ! My first thought was , That car's paint is too nice ! There's no way that Hamtramck laid that TX9 Black paint down ! Then I noticed it's a St. Louis Assembly model ( ..."GAG" = G-318 Two Barrel , A-1980 Model Year , G-St. Louis , Missouri , Assembly ) . Much better Q.C. at that facility !

I think I might build mine sometime this year.

I'll have to make cast duplicates of my Duster 340 (now I really need to learn how to do that,) and probably grab a 904 from M.A.D. at NNL-East.

Figure out how to sand/fill those T-bars so they look decent, and then off to paint...I always liked that Chianti Red. Perhaps with the camel interior.

Charlie Larkin

But it is a popular aftermarket accessory straight from the BVD catalog!   :blink:

Is BVD an authorized Mopar aftermarket accessory? I thought to be correct it had to be Fruit of the Loom or Jocky? Which ever one soaks up the gas best, can be lit easily, and not be detected easily by the fire marshals or insurance investigators. ?

Scott

• 1 month later...

Some slow progress on mine...

I used one of my cast copies of the Duster engine and I'll top it with a Fireball carb, a MAD distributor and one of my dual snorkel breathers. The headers are from the '66 or '67 Hemi Charger. Not quite right in the size or port department but good enough.

Replaced the kit rearend with a cast of an proper 8.75 and used the kit springs.

Lots to do still but I'm happy with how it's looking so far. Not a bad kit if some time is spent on it...

Volare mock up 1.jpg

volare mock up 2.jpg

volare mock up 3.jpg

volare mock up 4.jpg

volare mock up 5.jpg