Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sad Sad Sad News: Our Harry Passed Away

• 2 weeks later...

Just found out about this. My thoughts and prays go out to Harry's family, he was a good one. From his building skills to being the voice of reason on the forum, he will be missed.

Godspeed Harry, may you have peace and continue building at the great table in the sky. 

Very saddened to hear about Harry P's recent death. A true gentleman who always responded to my emails. He will be sorely missed in the Auto Modelling Community, both for his excellent magazine layout work and of course the imaginative design and layout of the books in collaboration with Virgil Suarez (Dr. Cranky). His builds on the forum were always very interesting. I was following his Pocher Bugatti build and the extra scratch built detailing work he was putting in to it. Perhaps his actual work may be placed on permanent display somewhere as his builds were up to museum standard. The Bugatti would make a superb display item in the Bugatti Trust's little museum here in the UK and would be a fitting tribute to him. His own book 'The Evolution of the Automobile in Scale' I see is being featured in the magazine in parts, and in itself will bid a fond farewell to him.  My deepest condolences go out to his family at this saddest of times. Cancer is a terrible disease and to hear about not only Harry, but many citizens of the USA having to battle to get payments for treatment from their insurers beggars belief. It intrigues me that the USA is the richest nation on earth, and still does not have a proper health service available to everyone rich or poor at point of need. Isn't that what Obama Care was supposed to be? Cannot understand why Trump is looking to scrap it. Private health insurance is very expensive in the UK, so thank goodness that we in the UK have a National Health Service available to all. Harry, you will be missed.

I still can not believe he is gone. I always loved following his builds on here and talking to him at times here there on the forum about projects. When I heard of the very sad news it sadden me a lot, now coming to the forum seems to me to feel different now. I keep looking for him to post to something.  R.I.P Harry

• 3 weeks later...

One day I got a call from his son Gary and we began a very solid relationship. He always responded to email and I could share effective actions that worked in my wife's cancer fight, without lecturing Harry.. Although living in another state, Gary would come and stay with Harry for a week or ten days at a time, being his care advocate and fighting the insurance and oncology juggernauts. Shopping, house cleaning, car repair, he did it all alone for his father.

From my dealings with him, Harry can be highly proud that his kid is articulate, appreciative and was deeply dedicated to saving his father. A very class kid - one any of us as parents would be gratified to have. It's great to know that our Harry raised children as thoroughly as he created art. 

Something I have come to learn is that the only real legacy most of us will pass on is our children.  The actions they display when faced with an issue (in this case Harry's illness) shows where his priorities laid.  Yes he was a Master modeler and very helpful to all who asked, but the actions of his children are more a reflection of his life.  

We can all just hope and pray that we raised our children to be of the same mindset. Harry left this world a little better off then when he arrived and I hope the same can be said for all of us.

RIP Harry P.

Something I have come to learn is that the only real legacy most of us will pass on is our children.  The actions they display when faced with an issue (in this case Harry's illness) shows where his priorities laid.  Yes he was a Master modeler and very helpful to all who asked, but the actions of his children are more a reflection of his life.  

We can all just hope and pray that we raised our children to be of the same mindset. Harry left this world a little better off then when he arrived and I hope the same can be said for all of us.

RIP Harry P.

Very, very well said.

• 1 month later...

I know this thread hasn't been posted on for a month and I can truly say Harry had a powerful influence on all who had the opportunity to interact with him either in person or online. As said previously 'Harry was the best friend I never met.' Based on the nine pages of comments, accolades, testimonials and stories, Harry was masterful in all areas of his life. I greatly miss his presence on this forum and think of him every time I see a scale side mirror.

RIP brother of the styrene.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm a new guy here and I believe I bought one of Harry's unfinished kits off ebay from his daughter a few weeks ago.

I told her I would make him proud with the build and it's almost done.

Rest in peace, Harry and thanks for starting me off in the right direction.

Brian