Model Cars Magazine Forum

New reissue AMT '57 Fairlane questions

62rebel

The diamond buckets are crude, as is the console. I like the bolstered seats, which are used in builds today. Less than 1% of people under 30 would look at the old trash and like it. Wheels are dated, as are the unchromed rim Moons. So what, you don't have a parts stash? Give the stuff you don't like away to young modelers rather than having to trade every nickel out of a kit.  I swear, some of you guys are the most intolerant people I've known. Lighten up, it's a kit. Old issues are everywhere, even original issues are thick on the ground. Spend $ and get over it. Get off my lawn. :)

IMG 2152

Since everyone is talking about the custom parts, I thought I'd share this old beauty.  This is an original build that a buddy gave me... missing hood and with the suspension wiped out. He knew I'd restore it back to it's glory.  

IMG 3432

Since I had no way of painting a hood to match, I masked it off and sprayed it as a two tone. 

IMG 3434

Most important is that I restore but never improve past the original builders vision and the skill level of the period.  If the trim is Testors silver, it stays Testors silver. I did polish out some major stuff on the original paint job, but left much of it the way it was.

IMG 3435

IMG 3436

The original interior in all it's glory.  I never took the car apart, so it's all original.

Hope you enjoy this blast from the past..

From what I just saw from Tom Geiger, I'm going to have to get a couple of these. I personally like the old school customs (or is that kustoms). As far as the more modern seats I'm finding many uses for them as well. I'm working on a Pro Touring right now and with a little modifying both front and back seats are working out.

I bought the kit tonight, it actually has the custom stacked headlight housings from the original, and what looks like a late '50's style Desoto grille bar. The wild custom rear extensions and the boomerang taillight housings are still missing though.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I finally got mine. After a looking and comparing with a 2000 something kit, I see that you can do a complete Custom frontend with the Vertical Headlight pods and the front roll pan. Even the chromed headlight are back on the chrome tree. The Desoto Grill bar will fit the roll pan too. Strangely, the front half of the TV, did  not make it into the kit, and the decal sheet was IMHO, disappointingly small. No modern tires for the Custom wheels either. This kit really could have used 4 more tires for the other options. Not a problem, if you have a large stash, but otherwise it's difficult. The Huge Center Console with the Diamond Tuft upholstery made it back as well.

The kit is cleanly molded, straight and sharp. That said, It will be a one trick pony for me. I won't need another.  Some of the "new" (since 2008) kits are must haves for me, and some inspire multiple purchases. The '57 Ford is neither. Not enough added back to really excite my imagination, I guess.

That said it will be a great kit for many people, and the Kit bash opportunities with the Revell '57 Ford are many. Now that Round2 restored the whole Hillborn F.I. system, you can put it on the Revell 312 for a different kind of Gasser.

Well, I finally got mine. After a looking and comparing with a 2000 something kit, I see that you can do a complete Custom frontend with the Vertical Headlight pods and the front roll pan. Even the chromed headlight are back on the chrome tree. The Desoto Grill bar will fit the roll pan too. Strangely, the front half of the TV, did  not make it into the kit, and the decal sheet was IMHO, disappointingly small. No modern tires for the Custom wheels either. This kit really could have used 4 more tires for the other options. Not a problem, if you have a large stash, but otherwise it's difficult. The Huge Center Console with the Diamond Tuft upholstery made it back as well.

The kit is cleanly molded, straight and sharp. That said, It will be a one trick pony for me. I won't need another.  Some of the "new" (since 2008) kits are must haves for me, and some inspire multiple purchases. The '57 Ford is neither. Not enough added back to really excite my imagination, I guess.

That said it will be a great kit for many people, and the Kit bash opportunities with the Revell '57 Ford are many. Now that Round2 restored the whole Hillborn F.I. system, you can put it on the Revell 312 for a different kind of Gasser.

....Great report,  Alan....and thanks....the Ace...:D

If you have any experience with Y block Fords you will know that neither the injector manifold nor the headers are anything near correct. The intake ports on  Y block are stacked one atop the other as in the photo. The evenly spaced headers in the kit  would be ok for a 390-428, but Y blocks have an exhaust port layout more like a smallblock Chevy, which have the center ports side by side. 

HILBORNINJECTORS-vi.jpg

Edited by Dave Darby

If you have any experience with Y block Fords you will know that neither the injector manifold nor the headers are anything near correct. The intake ports on  Y block are stacked one atop the other as in the photo. The evenly spaced headers in the kit  would be ok for a 390-428, but Y blocks have an exhaust port layout more like a smallblock Chevy, which have the center ports side by side. 

HILBORNINJECTORS-vi.jpg

Wow Dave,,,,,best picture I have ever seen of the Y-Block fuel injection setup.  Gotta put this one in the file......TIM

Less than 1% of people under 30 would look at the old trash and like it. Give the stuff you don't like away to young modelers....

Yo Keyser, I'm that 1%. I love the 60s custom options, it's practically all I'm interested in building right now. Wanna mail 'em to me? :D:D

Just the other day I was looking at a glue-bomb 90s issue of this kit in my stash and thinking "what a shame it's missing the diamond-pleated bucket seats and custom headlights and taillights". I'm building it regardless, but I'll have to scratchbuild some groovy bucket seats.

On the subject of Hilborn's for the Y Block, it would be great if somebody that has the skills ( I don't ) could scratch then cast them. Same with FI manifolds (accurate ones ) for the 289 and FE families! The AMT original annual 67 Comet had nice injectors for the FE, nobody ever cast 'em. Wonder why Fords have been neglected.

Otherwise, a pretty decent kit, despite it's obviously dated shortcomings. Love the old kits.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 12:25 PM, Dave Darby said:

Here's a few more Hilborn injected Y blocks. 

bbirdengine.jpg

hilbornyblock1.jpg

8024069408_a33db8bf1c_o.jpg

Found a fuel injection unit in my engine parts box. I think I can convert it to the Y-block one. Can't remember what kit it came out of. Any idea?

fuel injection unit.JPG

Edited by magicmustang

57 minutes ago, magicmustang said:

Found a fuel injection unit in my engine parts box. I think I can convert it to the Y-block one. Can't remember what kit it came out of. Any idea?

fuel injection unit.JPG

Those are from the Olds engine in the Revell Anglia and Thames panel kits.  There were some short chrome plated stacks in the kit also.  For the Y-block, just cut the paired units apart and clock them 90 degrees. 

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:17 AM, Mark said:

Those are from the Olds engine in the Revell Anglia and Thames panel kits.  There were some short chrome plated stacks in the kit also.  For the Y-block, just cut the paired units apart and clock them 90 degrees. 

Did as you suggested. Turned out pretty good.

Had this AMT '57 Fairlane kit for 40 years, maybe I'll finish it now. Using the gasser parts from a Revell '57 Ford gasser that I got at HL for $7.50 on clearance.

Edited by magicmustang

2 hours ago, magicmustang said:

Did as you suggested. Turned out pretty good.

Had this AMT '57 Fairlane kit for 40 years, maybe I'll finish it now. Using the gasser parts from a Revell '57 Ford gasser that I got at HL for $7.50 on clearance.

Fuel Injected  312 Ford.JPG

Looks good! I picked one up on clearance too. The last one, sadly. If I had known/remembered they had those nice vintage Edelbrock valve covers I would have picked few up before they went on clearance.