Model Cars Magazine Forum

New reissue AMT '57 Fairlane questions

62rebel

Did they toss the lame eighties/nineties "recaro" seats and restore the original diamond pleated quad buckets? How about the parts that USED to be chromed and were moved into a plain sprue? I'd like to build one like the first one I did around 1975 or so... full of chrome... and, by the way, were they able to restore the ability to actually USE those Vee taiilight lenses? Hoping.......

I've heard rumors that the Bezels needed for the Boomerang Taillights did {NOT} make it into the new kit. Guess we won't know until somebody opens one.

Looking at the Sprues as seen here, looks like not much was added to the chrome tree. I do see 8 new chrome pieces. 4 hubcaps and two sidepipes.

The word from Round2 "41 parts restored or re-tooled" looks mighty thin to me, although the Hubcaps, sidepipes and 4 buckets are 12 parts by themselves. 

Edited by alexis
added the word "not" to the first sentence.

I've heard rumors that the Bezels needed for the Boomerang Taillights did make it into the new kit. Guess we won't know until somebody opens one.

Looking at the Sprues as seen here, looks like not much was added to the chrome tree. I do see 8 new chrome pieces. 4 hubcaps and two sidepipes.

The word from Round2 "41 parts restored or re-tooled" looks mighty thin to me, although the Hubcaps, sidepipes and 4 buckets are 12 parts by themselves...... 

......yeah, Alan, but remember in the part's count the decal sheet has been ' tuned up' as well...lol....:lol:.....the Ace...:lol:

I don't think the bezels are in there. They're not mentioned in the T-285 kit that shares this box art. It's not a full restoration back to T-157 nor has it ever been advertised as such  

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/amt-instructions/automotive-cars--pi/ford/1951-1960/amt-57-ford-fairlan/

Edited by Brett Barrow

I laughed aloud when I read your opening line "...lame eighties / nineties 'Recaro' seats..." , as I , too , can't stand that poodle poop ! I notice that those hideous 90's custom wheels found their way into this issue ...

...instead of the trash bin where they belong ! {{{ shutter }}}

That ugly 80's & 90's custom stuff should never see the light-of-day again , ever !

The Edsel wagon taillight bezels were eliminated (along with the other Stylizing parts) around 1971, for the original Flashback issue.  The fuel injection tubes occupy the section of parts tree where the taillight bezels used to be.  At the time, those Stylizing parts were thought to be outdated, so these alterations weren't usually done with the thought that the old parts would eventually be put back in the kit.  The '57 Chevy was also altered around that time and lost its Stylizing parts too.  The Pepper Shaker issue Chevy with the bright green/black roof car on the box has those parts, the turquoise Pepper Shaker does not.

That said, the new issue has a bunch of parts that have not been seen in many years.  The new tooling looks like the custom seats, rear pan, and the small plated tree with the side pipes and custom hubcaps.  

That said, the new issue has a bunch of parts that have not been seen in many years.  The new tooling looks like the custom seats, rear pan, and the small plated tree with the side pipes and custom hubcaps.  

I haven't seen the new kit so don't know what custom seats you're talking about, but the '90s issue had a set of new custom seats--front and rear--that, as I recall, were pretty darn nice. I seem to remember wanting to build an entire custom '65 Riviera around them.

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/amt-instructions/automotive-cars--pi/ford/1951-1960/amt-1957-ford-fairl/12.html#media

The Nineties seats are still in there based on the box-bottom parts layout.  The original Sixties show car bucket seats appear to be retooled, they are on a tree by themselves except for the custom rear pan.

The "Diamond Patterned" seats were never to my liking, but the "Recaro " seats are great for a later custom interior. You can see in the bagged picture at least one front Recaro. No way of knowing if the back seat is present. On the bottom of the box it shows the clear red parts and the Edsel tail light lenses are there. With a little creative body work you could make the flares that were part of those tail lights. We could hope the parts are in the kit, but if not at least the lenses are there.

One thing about those 58 EDSEL Wagon Tail Light Lenses

Remember they are Custom Copies and Larger than Stock!!!

For an Accurate Stock version, you will need to remove approximately

1/8 inch from the center of the lens

I have a Resin Villager wagon and a Kitbash Ranchero

in the works and have modified 2 sets of those lenses

The "Diamond Patterned" seats were never to my liking, but the "Recaro " seats are great for a later custom interior. You can see in the bagged picture at least one front Recaro. No way of knowing if the back seat is present. On the bottom of the box it shows the clear red parts and the Edsel tail light lenses are there. With a little creative body work you could make the flares that were part of those tail lights. We could hope the parts are in the kit, but if not at least the lenses are there.

The Recaro back seat is still there, it's on the parts map.  It's just peeking into the shot.  You can see the back side in this shot. I didn't open up the bags as it's not my kit. The parts from the '71 Flashback issue appear to be all there, just not all chromed.  

xYGuqj9h.jpg  

Edited by Brett Barrow

those horrible directional rims are good for one thing: trim away the center section and use them for backs on chrome wheels that don't come with chrome backs. I lost count of how many times I've trimmed directional rims and similar style wheels that way. shame the chrome tree wasn't restored to it's "FULL" glory.... I have used that custom interior in other kits, it's not altogether "BAD", just out of sync with the '57. Good to see the bassett hound still makes it into the kit....

I've used those chrome 90s rims in exactly the way 62rebel describes.

And after writing off the seats as "lame", I recently saw a fairly stunning Mustang project on this forum that I believe utilized the '57s Recaro-style seats, and it looked fantastic.
It's all about correct application!

Glad to see the diamond buckets. I have a 90s issue of this kit without those parts, and I'll have to fabricate some custom buckets similar to the original 60s parts if I want to get the "look".

those horrible directional rims are good for one thing: trim away the center section and use them for backs on chrome wheels that don't come with chrome backs. I lost count of how many times I've trimmed directional rims and similar style wheels that way. shame the chrome tree wasn't restored to it's "FULL" glory.... I have used that custom interior in other kits, it's not altogether "BAD", just out of sync with the '57. Good to see the bassett hound still makes it into the kit....

Interesting. I too am "not a fan" of those goofy '90s wheels, especially the 3-spoke ones. (If anyone really likes those things, get in touch with me--maybe we can work out a trade if you've got spare Keystones, American Torq-Thrusts, or something else cool to trade.)

Just for comparison, here are the instructions from the T285 "Shifty Seven" issue, when it last had all the custom parts intact. Note in the photo Brett posted above, the odd-shaped part in the upper left corner is the back half of the TV set.

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/amt-instructions/automotive-cars--pi/ford/1951-1960/amt-57-ford-bonnevi/?view=roll#5

Just for comparison, here are the instructions from the T285 "Shifty Seven" issue, when it last had all the custom parts intact. Note in the photo Brett posted above, the odd-shaped part in the upper left corner is the back half of the TV set.

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/amt-instructions/automotive-cars--pi/ford/1951-1960/amt-57-ford-bonnevi/?view=roll#5

.......thanks for that info,,,,you know, after seeing the box art from the SHIFTY SEVEN, I wonder if using it as the reissue may have been a better selling point for Round2.....that box art seems to be a lot harder to find than FLASHBACK.........I wonder....^_^....the Ace...

those horrible directional rims are good for one thing: trim away the center section and use them for backs on chrome wheels that don't come with chrome backs.

Brilliant.  Why didn't I think of that?   Also, I'll take '60s diamond pleated buckets over ugly side bolster Recaros any day of the week.