Model Cars Magazine Forum

Life is too short

The news of Harry's passing has reminded me how short life can.

Too often we forget the things that are important in life. We need to remember to tell the people we love that we love them.  There may be no tomorrow for us or them. Take time to appreciate the beauty in the world it is easy to get distracted by the ugliness in the world. Take time for yourself every day it is easy to think that it can be done tomorrow but that may not be the case. 

Yes, the news of Harry's passing is a smack up along side my head, reminding me of exactly what you said, life is too short.  The older I get, the more true it is.  Right now, my job is taking its toll on me.  After 30 years at this job, I am thinking of leaving, and it is all because I just don't need this stress in my life any more.  I'm not happy and it is consuming my life and time.

I have told many younger co-workers to go out and do what makes you happy and do it while you can.  As Bob said, tomorrow is not promised to any of us.  My wife and I are avid bicycle riders.  In what seemed like overnight, I had horrible pain in my left shoulder, chest, arm, and hand.  Long story short, I blew out a disc in my neck.  At about the same time, my wife slipped in the snow and tore up her knee and had to have surgery.  No biking for us for several years now.  You just never know.

TIME waits for no one, as we all have an expiration date. We just don't know when it is. I thank the Lord for everyday as I try not to take anything for granted anymore. I'm also grateful that my parent's health issues didn't linger on as my dad was gone in a weeks time, and my mom in two weeks. Some people suffer for weeks, months, and even years before they pass. The future in not for us to see, as we must live it from day to day.

This is how I live every day. I used to live with regret and worries and I gave that all up. I take care of my parents and sacrifice a bit for them. But they are important to me. They are where I come from. I get to see them every day and it's a true feeling of fulfillment for me.

I have my workshop in the house and escape there as I need to.

Losing Harry or anyone close always puts life into perspective, even if only for a brief period. Then life continues and we put it into the back of our mind until something comes up to bring to the front.

Living in the moment is all we have ultimately. Live it well. 

Long before the passing of our forum's grand marshal, I've asked myself what role modeling should play in my life. Looking back, a lot of life has been spent in solitude scratching plastic. I've asked myself if that's a responsible use of this precious, limited life. My answer is, I don't know. Though I enjoy modeling, there are many things I enjoy that could make better use of time, say, in terms of friends, family and community. Even if it's hitting the road on my motorcycle and meeting new people along the way.

There was a book called "Life After Life" where people with near death experiences shared their after-life glimpses. Some had similar tales of being in the presence of God and being asked, "How have you lived?" and "How have you loved?" and you cannot lie. Essentially, an accounting of how you used the life God gave you. In His presence, you became your own judge and you couldn't make excuses.

A few years ago I had just left work and was on the highway back towards New Jersey. The traffic stopped and slowly we came upon an accident.  It must've just happened because there was one cop on the scene, and the remains of a motorcycle. As I came around the turn there was a body in the middle of the road, covered with a blanket.  The person was laying on their back and one leg was bent at the knee and the jeans and work boot were visible below the blanket.  I immediately thought that there was this poor guy who went out for a ride, with no idea it was his last day.  

It got worse the next day when I got to work and found out it was someone we knew.  That image still haunts me.  You never know.

Long before the passing of our forum's grand marshal, I've asked myself what role modeling should play in my life. Looking back, a lot of life has been spent in solitude scratching plastic. I've asked myself if that's a responsible use of this precious, limited life. My answer is, I don't know. Though I enjoy modeling, there are many things I enjoy that could make better use of time, say, in terms of friends, family and community. Even if it's hitting the road on my motorcycle and meeting new people along the way.

There was a book called "Life After Life" where people with near death experiences shared their after-life glimpses. Some had similar tales of being in the presence of God and being asked, "How have you lived?" and "How have you loved?" and you cannot lie. Essentially, an accounting of how you used the life God gave you. In His presence, you became your own judge and you couldn't make excuses.

The news of Harry's passing has reminded me how short life can.

Too often we forget the things that are important in life. We need to remember to tell the people we love that we love them.  There may be no tomorrow for us or them. Take time to appreciate the beauty in the world it is easy to get distracted by the ugliness in the world. Take time for yourself every day it is easy to think that it can be done tomorrow but that may not be the case. 

Sobering thoughts indeed guys

We really gotta live for and in the moment....which is hard to do trying to make ends meet and battling the stresses of life.

Harry's sickness really hit me hard and of course now his passing is even harder. I will always think of him when I model, especially the Pocher Bugatti I got about the same time he got his

Gotta stop and smell the roses, be thankful and enjoy my time better

Cheers all and raise a glass to Harry when you can

This is posted on the wall of the room I spend the most time in. It says it all for me.

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered "Man.

Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present: the result being that he does not live in the present or future: he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."

Expiration Date is a fun little indie black comedy about a 24 year old guy who believes that he will be killed by a milk truck on his 25th birthday as were his father and grandfather. It's silly and irreverent,  but a lot of fun to see Charlie put his life in order because he knows that he is going to die. Spoiler alert: he doesn't die.

We never know it could happen in a few seconds like the texting driver that hit the church bus killing all but one on the bus and the driver who hit the bus lived. Life is precious. Enjoy it and love as many people as you can. as it is said in James 14:4

14 whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away.

It's been a tough month, I lost my mother on March 5th. She was in a long term care facility for the last two years. When she passed it was hard, as my brother and I cared for her for 6 years before it got too much for us to look after her in her home. Then Harry passed. I only knew him through emails, but I had been following what he was going through with his sickness.since he let us know about it. This has made me stop and think about my life , really think. I've come to the realization that life is short and time is even shorter. I've made up my mind that in the spring of 2018 I'm going to retire and start spending more time doing what I want to do instead of what my employer wants me to do. My wife is being forced to retire from her job after 37 years with the same company, so this will work out fine for us as we can now spend more time together and start to enjoy life on our own terms . 

It's been a tough month, I lost my mother on March 5th. She was in a long term care facility for the last two years. When she passed it was hard, as my brother and I cared for her for 6 years before it got too much for us to look after her in her home. Then Harry passed. I only knew him through emails, but I had been following what he was going through with his sickness.since he let us know about it. This has made me stop and think about my life , really think. I've come to the realization that life is short and time is even shorter. I've made up my mind that in the spring of 2018 I'm going to retire and start spending more time doing what I want to do instead of what my employer wants me to do. My wife is being forced to retire from her job after 37 years with the same company, so this will work out fine for us as we can now spend more time together and start to enjoy life on our own terms . 

Sounds like you and your better half have a good plan. I hope that it works out and that you both enjoy retirement.

It's amazing it takes death to get me to appreciate life I've been waiting on social security for the last 1yr I have lost my house my car and numerous material things. I have been depressed and having a lot of negative thoughts which included death then harry passed I'm same age as he. The thought intensified  I have life not real happy but I have it that alone is a great thing all the stuff I've lost is nice but really doesn't matter life is what matters and what you do with it. AMEN

It's amazing it takes death to get me to appreciate life I've been waiting on social security for the last 1yr I have lost my house my car and numerous material things. I have been depressed and having a lot of negative thoughts which included death then harry passed I'm same age as he. The thought intensified  I have life not real happy but I have it that alone is a great thing all the stuff I've lost is nice but really doesn't matter life is what matters and what you do with it. AMEN

I know the feeling oh so well as 40 years ago my dad passed away, my son died at 8 1/2 months old, and my wife moved out, all in 11 months time. Hang in there.