Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Paint Shaker For Under $10, How To Make Your Own

That has to be one of the all time BEST tips I have ever seen for modeling.

I've been trying to think  of how to rig up some sort of shaker as opposed to a stirrer and never could come up with anything. I tend to buy paint and then it sits around forever and separates and that makes me not want to deal with it.

Thanks!

Russ

Edited by russosborne

Neat tip!  I don't have a jigsaw or I'd build one.  I did pick this up on eBay for around $25 - 

808IiA3h.jpg  

It's a called a vortex mixer they're used in labs for mixing test tubes.  They're hundreds of dollars new but sometimes you can find them used on Ebay for pretty cheap (I don't know about $10 cheap.)  It's pretty beat up and you have to turn the speed knob up high before it cuts on but it has plenty of life for what I need it for.   

4Lf72dAh.jpg 

Edited by Brett Barrow

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Easy, cheap, works perfectly and fits any hobby paint bottle. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7jwhy7neaI 

Since I saw this 3 weeks ago, I have been to every Yard Sale in the area looking for a Jig Saw.  I have a Craftsman Scrolling Jig Saw but could not see my clear to modifying it.  Today however, I finally found the same model used in the video.  The guy wanted $10, I offered $5 and he took it.  I have 3 of the clamps at home.

10 minute modification, maybe less.  Found an old bottle of Testers Orange Gloss that was never opened and OVER 20 years old.  Paint was definitely separated.  30 seconds later, I took a paint brush, dipped it and painted a few strokes over a scrap hood.  Paint covered perfectly.

Thank you, Chris for posting this tip.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bought a reciprocating saw over the weekend.  Can't find my little sliding clamp.   So in the interest of trying to shake up some separated paint and play with a new tool, I did a ghetto version.  I wrapped masking tape around a blade and the bottles and cans.  This is where it can get dicey.  it takes a LIGHT TOUCH on the trigger.  I kept the speed to where I could hear the ball rattling in the can.  Too fast and the ball seemed to stop rattling.  Go slow and it works.  I am using up an OLD roll of tape that has too much tack to use on anything else.  You could seriously injure yourself with this method, so I can't really recommend it.  But in a pinch, it does work.   Some of my paints haven't been shaken in years.  And I'd never have patience to shake or stir them properly.   Remember, LIGHT TOUCH.  I didn't do this, but could easily see flinging a paint bottle into space.  Or something expensive that belongs to wife.  

• 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...