Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Customizing Boat 3'n1

Casey

"Steering fin thingy"  LOL. Usually referred  to as a Rudder.   

Being from the "Land of 10,000 Lakes" you'd think I would have remembered something like that. I just could not come up with the name of the "steering fin thingy" when I wrote my post. And I knew it was something simple like the word rudder, that I should have remembered. ?

Scott

Being from the "Land of 10,000 Lakes" you'd think I would have remembered something like that. I just could not come up with the name of the "steering fin thingy" when I wrote my post. And I knew it was something simple like the word rudder, that I should have remembered. ?

Scott

I understand. What made me really laugh was that I knew that you just couldn't remember the correct term, and you sounded just like the way my wife describes things.  I also have lived on or around water most of my life. I'm not 100% sure if Rudder is the technical name, but it is what I have always known it to be. The dictionary describes a Rudder as a steering device attached  vertically to the rear of a boat. Most are attached horizontally, unless you have an outboard engine or a Jet boat setup.   

Not a bad kit. Scale looks a little off to me. I built one about two years ago, and I was happy with results. The trailer comes with fender skirts. They look cool, but are a little tight fitting. Not allowing the wheels to roll once they are on. Which is okay with me. The only other problem is the vulnerability of the steering fin thingy under the back of the boat. It's very easy to break off if not careful enough. Need to find a glue that will hold it better, so it doesn't get knocked off as easily again.

Scott

Gorilla Glue CA brand has a bit of give to it, that may help with it not snapping off.

I'l be getting one. The only Chris Craft models I have are the RC versions by Dumas and while gorgeous, they are not shelf friendly, they take up a lotof space. 
A nice small one will be more fitting in the display cabinet on the main floor.

It is a Great Kit, Chris. I think you'll like it. It has a very 1960's feel to it, but to me, that is part of its charm. The updated Decal Sheet that Round2 is sure to throw in will make it even better. I've taped mine together, but never built it. Now is the time to get more of them and build them.

I look forward to your review of it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Here are a few detail shots of the stock Chris Craft engine- the kit engine is a little on the simplified side but it seems like all the major doodads are present and accounted for- http://mccallboatworks.com/chris-craft-hercules-mbl-6-cyl-1958/

The Chris Craft engine was built by Hercules, but I'm not sure which "non-marine" Hercules model it was based from. RXC series, maybe?

Here's my build from a few years ago.  Cool kit, very easy to build and looks great behind a rod because it is more proportional to the size of a rod than say the Hull Raiser or Hemi Hydro. I have two others nearly finished but have struggled to get the contrasting coloured seams on the deck looking neat and tidy.  Time I had another crack at it.

IMG_5213.JPG

IMG_5214.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one I've been working on. Building it to pull behind the 1954 Mercury Woody I'm building in the on the Workbench section. Deepened the hull by a 1/4". The hull looked a little shallow to me. Built the deck out of wood and covered the hull with veneer. Fun kit. 

IMG_0990.JPG

IMG_0993.JPG

IMG_0995.JPG

IMG_1001.JPG

IMG_1007.JPG

IMG_1010.JPG

IMG_1015.JPG

IMG_1016.JPG

IMG_1020.JPG

IMG_1025.JPG

OMG.

That is easily the best looking 1.25th scale boat I have ever seen

Thanks to all that have commented on my pictures of my build of this kit!! I wasn't trying high jack this thread just wanted to show what I was doing with this kit. I need to start a workbench thread on my build of this kit. I also had posted a few pics in my workbench build of my 1954 Mercury Woody. I guess it deserves a post of its own. Again thanks for the great comments.

Dennis

Dennis , as a former boat repair shop owner , I beg you to keep us updated as to this boat build ! I have LONGGGGGGGG wanted to know the origins of this kit as I once had one from 1961

Will do.  Where do you think I should post the build thread on this?? In the All the rest or in the on the workbench?  Thanks, Dennis.

Dennis , if it were me , Id go the "Under construction " threads . We should combine forces as I am the one behind the model of the Fish Inn that was in Cour de Adeline Idaho . I'm already being asked to have the Fish Inn on display at the next Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens miniatures show in Richmond Virginia in 2018

Fish Inn outside detail front.jpg

I picked one of these up today and took some pics of the contents which can be viewed here: http://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/751/1-25-amt-customizing-boat

A few notes:

1. It would be fair to consider the decal sheet an homage to the original, as it's not an exact copy, but I feel it's also a healthy improvement over the original.
  2. The tire choice seems odd at first, but I'm guessing there were few (if any) other choices at Round2's disposal which would fit both the steel wheels and comfortably inside the trailer's fenders. Whatever the reason, you may want to look into acquiring a pair of period-correct tires if you're s stickler for details.
  3. No more parts content printed on the box bottom, at least for this kit. Maybe this is old news, but no complaints from me if this is how Round2 is filling out box bottoms from now on.
  4. Check both decks in your kit(s) for warpage. Both decks in mine were warped slightly upwards on the port side close to the bow. Nothing which wouldn't go back into position after attaching the deck to the hull, but something to be aware of.
  5. The hull measures just under 7.25" from bow to stern, so just a tad over 15' in real life.

I'm really glad to see this kit return, as I missed it the last go 'round. :)

cbdec.jpg

Edited by Casey

I picked one of these up today and took some pics of the contents which can be viewed here: http://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/751/1-25-amt-customizing-boat

A few notes:

1. It would be fair to consider the decal sheet an homage to the original, as it's not an exact copy, but I feel it's also a healthy improvement over the original.
  2. The tire choice seems odd at first, but I'm guessing there were few (if any) other choices at Round's disposal which would fit both the steel wheels and inside of the trailer's fenders. Whatever the reason, you may want to look into acquiring a pair of period-correct tires if you're s stickler for details.
  3. No more parts content printed on the box bottom, at least for this kit. Maybe this is old news, but no complaints from me if this is how Round2 is filling out box bottoms from now on.
  4. Check both decks in your kit(s) for warpage. Both decks in mine were warped slightly upwards on the port side close to the bow. Nothing which wouldn't go back into position after attaching the deck to the hull, but something to be aware of.
  5. The hull measures just under 7.25" from bow to stern, so just a tad over 15' in real life.

I'm really glad to see this kit return, as I missed it the last go 'round. :)

Great review Casey. One minor niggle. The photo captioned as tires is a repeat of the Moon Disk and dash gauges photo. I definitely need to pick one of these up.

I have the previous re-issue and have not opened it as yet, someday. I may have built the "Cracker Box" version back-in-the-day, however I'm not really sure.

If you do, or if anyone else who has a previous version if this kit does, I'd like to know which tires were included.

One minor niggle. The photo captioned as tires is a repeat of the Moon Disk and dash gauges photo.

Oops...thanks. Fixed. ;)

Now, about that MEL powerplant...