Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1975 Datsun Pickup

Casey

I've noticed the complaints about the  flipnose Datsun.I have no idea why MPC did it that way. it's like they never looked at a real truck. You can't have the hood open righ in fromt of the windshield,that's where the back of the dash and the wipers are. Here is a picture of a real Datsun I did in the early 80's. It had been hit in the right front. The fender have to cut because they would hit the doors when you raised the front.I got the idea from Truckin' magazine. I should build a model of this.BTW,if any of you need some detail shots,let me know. I have lots of them,and the kit has a lot of errors.

73_datsun.jpg

I've noticed the complaints about the  flipnose Datsun.I have no idea why MPC did it that way. it's like they never looked at a real truck. You can't have the hood open righ in fromt of the windshield,that's where the back of the dash and the wipers are. Here is a picture of a real Datsun I did in the early 80's. It had been hit in the right front. The fender have to cut because they would hit the doors when you raised the front.I got the idea from Truckin' magazine. I should build a model of this.BTW,if any of you need some detail shots,let me know. I have lots of them,and the kit has a lot of errors.

73_datsun.jpg

I just started the Datsun Monster truck. I think I may try to fix the nose like this. 

Keep in mind that when this kit was issued, the main target audience was kids.  

Edited by Tom Geiger

Keep in mind that when this kit was issued, the main target audience was kids.  

That's true,it was aimed at a lot of us here. lol

They would have had to retool the entire body,interior tub, and front end,too.

• 4 weeks later...

we have a garage here in town tat has a Toyota as a towtruck, but he only works on small cars, it has duel wheels and everything, and if u go to northern Indiana under autos and search dumptrucks, there is a I think 84 Nissan dumptruck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

For those looking for alternatives to the stock styrene tires, consider the Armstrong bias-ply skinnies found in the IMC and subsequent Lindberg reissues of the Little Red Wagon Dodge A-100 pickup kit. They are very close in O.D., have a much better zig-zag tread pattern, and the stock Datsun wheel/dog dish hubcap pieces fit inside them quite well:

WP_20171207_012.jpg

WP_20171207_011.jpg

WP_20171207_008.jpg

WP_20171207_013.jpg

1 hour ago, martinfan5 said:

I am using the skinny tires that came in the kit, is that not a good idea?, what am I missing?

I think those are a better choice than the styrene tires (one half of which is shown above in the image I posted), but I think there are better options available. Now, I will grant you "better" is a subjective word, so to each their own. The kit's narrow tires have a really chunky tread that I don't care for, so I would replace them without hesitation.

Would the tires in the Sunny kit be an upgrade? I'd have to go look at your review topic to refresh my memory, but they might be a good choice, too. There really are not a lot of close-to-stock small pickup tire options out there, though, especially for 2WD trucks. I mean, which kit includes a 6.00 x 14 tire like this: :huh:

truckeestire1.jpg

1 minute ago, Casey said:

I think those are a better choice than the styrene tires (one half of which is shown above in the image I posted), but I think there are better options available. Now, I will grant you "better" is a subjective word, so to each their own. The kit's narrow tires have a really chunky tread that I don't care for, so I would replace them without hesitation.

Would the tires in the Sunny kit be an upgrade? I'd have to go look at your review topic to refresh my memory, but they might be a good choice, too. There really are not a lot of close-to-stock small pickup tire options out there, though, especially for 2WD trucks. I mean, which kit includes a 6.00 x 14 tire like this: :huh:

truckeestire1.jpg

Good question, I can break out the tires and do some comparing and stuff with the wheels, but I think the Sunny tires might just a tick too small maybe.

1 hour ago, martinfan5 said:

Good question, I can break out the tires and do some comparing and stuff with the wheels, but I think the Sunny tires might just a tick too small maybe.

Yeah, the sidewall would be too short it looks like.

I measured the Armstrong tires and the styrene halves, and the O.D.s are 1.090" and 1.084" respectively, so that's close enough for me. ^_^

Just now, Casey said:

Yeah, the sidewall would be too short it looks like.

I measured the Armstrong tires and the styrene halves, and the O.D.s are 1.090" and 1.084" respectively, so that's close enough for me. ^_^

I am all for close enough these days too sometimes, its just for fun afterall.

Random quasi-related tire thought..wonder what would be a good whitewall radial tire for an '80s car..  Really would like to find some that would look credible as stock whitewalls on Revell's  '80s Cutlass and '80s Caddy..the typical 60s-70s tires seem too narrow.  I wonder about the tires in the new '76 Torino kit..

• 3 weeks later...