Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Mercedes 300SL Gullwing - B396 Blue - A Holy Grail build

Kmb0319

So, I had this kit sitting on my shelf for 7 months, and actually bought it two months before that, but a relocation left me without a shelf to put it on.  I painted and cleared the body back in July, but then it sat there until late in February, when I couldn't wait any longer.  This is  one of my Holy Grail kits that I've always wanted to build, so I was excited to get started.  Unfortunately, I had a big issue right off the bat... I had set the body back in the box after finishing my paint job, and hadn't done anything with it since, but when I opened the box to start on it, the right A-pillar was broken, and had apparently twisted somehow as it broke out.  I got it back in place, but it wasn't straight, which caused an issue with the right door fitting properly. 

This is a fantastic kit... I built it mostly box stock, but added a couple little details here and there:

• Wired the distributor... sort of.  The spark plug wires go right into an intake tube, and the kit part isn't hollow and has the wires molded coming out of the bottom.  The only space is a very short spot between the tube and the top of the distributor where the wires come together into the tube.  I took six pieces of spark plug wire, twisted them together and put a drop of super glue on them.  Once dry, I cut them off to make a 1/8 inch bundle.  I glued the bundled end to the intake tube, and pulled the other ends apart and moved them toward the distributor.  They don't even touch it, but the intake tube is highly visible, and looks empty with no wires, so it was a simple fix
  • Ran a wire from the starter into the other end of the intake tube
  • Created a radio from a part number tab from a sprue, two little part tabs, some paint and a decal.  
  • To give the area behind the front seats a little more realism, I cut a piece of sandpaper to shape and glued it in, then painted over it
  • The car I patterned mine after had a beautiful light gray interior with navy piping.  I just hand painted an edge on the seats to replicate that

That's pretty much it... just a few little touches.  I did have one other odd issue.  My hood won't close all the way.  I cut one of the "hinge" tabs off to try and relieve the pressure, and it improved, but still not sitting flush.  Between that and my wonky door from the A-pillar, it's less perfect than hoped, but still a great model.  The paint, BTW, is from Automotive Touchup, and is an actual factory color on this car... B396 Blue.  

On to the pics.  First, the space frame/chassis... really cool!

Tamiya_300_SL_14.thumb.JPG.8e6116706fd3e

Interior completed:

Tamiya_300_SL_12.thumb.jpg.c8bdcdbc8973b

And all together:

Tamiya_300_SL_15.thumb.jpg.c330690f03d68

Tamiya_300_SL_16.thumb.jpg.22a42b24ad53b

Tamiya_300_SL_17.thumb.jpg.1b511c39eb229

Tamiya_300_SL_19.thumb.jpg.3e626d3e9221e

I was hoping for sun... it's been raining for a week straight.  Bright cloudy was the best outside pic I could get:

Tamiya_300_SL_20.thumb.jpg.b4781449d03e9

I am working on this kit right now.  Ivory with a red interior and my passenger A pillar broke also when the body was resting on my leg and began slipping between them.  Of course, the natural reaction is to close your legs quickly to prevent a fall and doink, a crushed roof and broken A pillar.  Mine broke clean though and I was able to repair it with minimal affect.  I tested the fitment of the glass just to see how far it was off and noticed there will need to be a little coaxing when installing same to bring it into alignment.  The doors should fit fine after that.  You did a nice job, the problems notwithstanding.  Was there anything preventing the hood from closing?  I noticed that on mine, the hood will click in place when you push the top down into the holes and stays nicely shut.

Tamiya, please, please do a 1957 Ford kit, a Fairlane 500 Town Sedan with four opening doors!! That would be MY Holly Grail build. Would paint her Inca Gold and Colonial White... What a dream she would be!!!

Now on the Marcedes, I had the kit on hands. Friend of mine is building it. The body is just the best ever done of that car. Period. Maybe because of that, some details like the front pillars are so fragile. Also, the engine has to sit on the exact place. A tiny miss alignment, or even too much paint will cause the hood not to close. 

There is just one thing about Tamiya models I don't like. Their wheels have a unreal looking lip on the inside, to avoid the tire to goo too far. I have their Mustang GT still unbuilt, and when I do build it, I plan to sand that lip away. I'm lucky, the Mustang Tamiya decided to model is my favorite, the '95. 

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice work, especially given the challenges you faced with the A-pillar. I'm actually working on mine now (silver blue with navy interior... I'm using the Scale Motorsports plaid upholstery decals and the HRM Rudge wheels) and am treating the body like it's made of eggshells! I see lots of test fitting in my future. The color combo you picked out is perfect!